PDA

View Full Version : Hermit Crabs?

Christmas_Hamster
09-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Who has hermit crabs? Do the make good pets?

I was thinking of getting some (I have done tons of research) hermit crabs :)

so do they make good pets?

Chilli
09-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Personally, I've never owned any (though thought about it a few times), but I've heard many different opinions from different people.
Some people say they're great pets, others say they're too boring for them... I guess it depends on what your opinion of a good pet is. =)
I know some people on PT have owned hermit crabs in the past, so maybe they can tell you what they think from personal experiance.

zoey
09-11-2006, 06:59 PM
I used to keep them for the day, when I'd go to the beach, as a kid. I'd always return them to the water when I left though.
Yeah, I think they'd make great pets, with the right care.

Argranade
09-11-2006, 09:03 PM
I think there boring...they sit move slow just to eat or drink.

Jessika
09-11-2006, 09:16 PM
The warmer they are and more humid their environment is, the more active they will be.

One of the biggest problems customers had when I worked at PetCo was they did NOT mist their hermit crabs multiple times daily and keep the cage humid and they ended up dying. So if you can make sure to provide the hermit crabs with the most ideal envirnoment possible, keep them nice and WARM and keep it HUMID, they are actually really fun to watch :D

Christmas_Hamster
09-12-2006, 03:38 PM
I think there boring...they sit move slow just to eat or drink.

Then they probably didn't have a suitable living conditions. Not to mention hermit crabs are nocturnal ;) I've seen some videos of hermie crabs and man do they move! lol Anyways I hope to soon be getting some hermies :)

10 or 20 gallon tank, four or five small hermie crabs, plexi-glass lid, thick layer of moist baked play sand, homemmade food, salt and fresh water dishes, under tank heater, sea sponges, the theremometres that measure the temperature and humidity, food dish, some climbing toys, and extra shells :) Sound good?

Zippy
09-12-2006, 03:56 PM
10 or 20 gallon tank, four or five small hermie crabs, plexi-glass lid, thick layer of moist baked play sand, homemmade food, salt and fresh water dishes, under tank heater, sea sponges, the theremometres that measure the temperature and humidity, food dish, some climbing toys, and extra shells :) Sound good?

Very Lucky and Happy Crabs :D

Christmas_Hamster
09-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Not yet but maybe soon. :D