PDA

View Full Version : Exercise question

sparks19
09-11-2006, 02:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I am trying to find a form of exercise that is enjoyable for me. so far it has been quite difficult. I have no endurance at all. i have asthma and no matter how gung ho I am about my work out I can't work past not being able to breathe.

I know everyone gets winded when they work out but I get this tightness and this burning and I just CAN'T think past it. I am terrified of not being able to breathe. I just can't seem to take my mind off of the fact that my breathing is going to be laboured while I first start working out. I am not having an asthma attack by any means but I know that it COULD get to that point. I had a few experiences when I was younger when my regular inhaler was not effective while i was having an attack. I was on a stronger inhaler for a while but am now back to just the salbutamol because I do not have asthma attacks very often.

how can i get past this so I can start and follow through with my work outs?

Laura's Babies
09-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Why not go with what your body CAN tolerate and not pushing it? Then as your body tolerates it, go a little further, being careful not to push to hard? SOME excercize is better than NONE, even if it has to be done sitting down.

beeniesmom
09-11-2006, 02:35 PM
I think walking is the BEST excersize.
If you do it once a day for 40 minutes you will have more energy.

RedHedd
09-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Try yoga - the practice will also teach you breathing techniques and YES it can be aerobic!

Giselle
09-11-2006, 07:34 PM
I think you should try swimming. I have many friends troubled with asthma excelling in competitive swimming. Of course, you should contact your doctor before trying any type of exercise. You can do simple "stay-put" exercises, too. These include a wide variety of stretches, crunches, etc. I think yoga and pilates and even dance are all good suggestions! Exercise should not be limited to hard-core jogging, but you should always check with your doctor before trying any strenuous activity.

G535
09-11-2006, 08:43 PM
I think walking is the BEST excersize.
If you do it once a day for 40 minutes you will have more energy.

As another asthmatic (for over fifty years) I couldn't agree more. I walk at least an hour a day and at my own pace, I never try and keep up with someone else.

Karen
09-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Fellow asthmatic weighing in here. Isn't exercise-induced asthma a pain in the chest?

When I was a kid, and went to "asthma class" every week, we always did stretching exercises (non-wheeze-inducing) - they'd probably label it yoga nowadays - and then had a session in the pool.

Now that I am an adult, I have a stationary bike. The key to it was not trying to do too much too soon (which of course I always tried, got frustrated, and gave up). I like the bike because I also have balance issues, and having handlebars is key for me! And the stationary bike is also good because it doesn't matter what the weather is like outside, or which plants I'm incredibly allergic to are blossoming, because I am inside.

Choose something - walking, biking, swimming, whatever, then go about it like this:

Step 1: Use your (albuterol) inhaler. Wait a minute, then do your chosen activity for five minutes. JUST five minutes. Huff, puff, sit and cool down.

"I'll never make any progress at 5 minutes per session!" you say.

But that's not the point. Do just five minutes at a stretch until you are able to do so with no huffing and puffing. Then up it to ten minutes per session, or even 7 minutes if ten is unbearable. Keep it up, stepping up your time gradually, and soon you'll be able to do long-enough session at a time, without even needing the inhaler at the start!

As my doctor explained, "You're not just asthmatic, you're out of shape respitorily speaking. Take it gradually, force yourself to, and you'll be able to stick with it."

I was amazed, but it works, honest!

Not that I "enjoy" exercising, or ever will, probably, but my iPod is distracting enough to get me through it. And I am determined.