PDA

View Full Version : turtle breed?

sumbirdy
09-11-2006, 01:42 PM
I've recently picked up a turtle, i know its a box turtle but i dont know what kind. it has a red speckled face and yellow dots on the scales on its front legs. can anyone help me?

Zippy
09-11-2006, 04:15 PM
do you have a pic???
that would really help

Karen
09-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Are you sure it's a box turtle? Does it look like this guy? (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=111914)

Fixed the link

BitsyNaceyDog
09-11-2006, 05:50 PM
It may be a yellow-footed tortoise? It's hard to tell without seeing him.

Karen- your link doesn't work

sumbirdy
09-12-2006, 10:52 AM
It looks like this one but with red spots on the head instead of orange and brown eyes www.carolinanature.com/herps/boxturtle.html

sumbirdy
09-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Are you sure it's a box turtle? Does it look like this guy? (http://)

for some reason that won't load on my computer :(

buttercup132
09-12-2006, 02:21 PM
I really hope you know the difference between a turtle and tortoise because it sounds like you have a tortoise..

And if you put them in just water they will get the water in their shells and drown. And they need certain lighting on all day and a heat lamp and heat pad or they will die...didnt they tell you what it was before you bought it...

sumbirdy
09-13-2006, 01:27 PM
I really hope you know the difference between a turtle and tortoise because it sounds like you have a tortoise..

And if you put them in just water they will get the water in their shells and drown. And they need certain lighting on all day and a heat lamp and heat pad or they will die...didnt they tell you what it was before you bought it...

I am absolutely sure that it is a turtle. I didn't buy it I picked it up off the road because it almost got smashed. I know that it is a box turtle because it has a hinged shell that can close all the way and those are the only types of turtles that you see on the road where i live. And it can swim. It swam for 15 minutes today.