PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Sept. 11

cyber-sibes
09-11-2006, 01:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/cyber-sibes/Sept-11-01_teardrop.gif
:( I watched some of the memorial services on tv this morning. So sad, looking at all those faces, knowing many of them are there because they lost a loved one on Sept. 11th. Truly a defining moment for our whole generation of people. Do you remember where you were? what you were doing? I do, and when I saw it happening on tv, it was beyond belief - I kept thinking that this could not really be happening...but it did. I had just sat down in front of the TV with a toast & a cup of coffee before going to my journalism class. The second plane was about to hit. I wanted to call my sons and tell them how much I love them. I wanted to gather everyone I love into my arms and keep them safe.

God Bless all whose lives were touched by tragedy that day.

Karen
09-11-2006, 01:34 PM
My thoughts are with everyone who lost loved ones that day, which includes our own beloved Sandra tatsxxx11 and the man who owned the florist business below where I used to work.

Pembroke_Corgi
09-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Yes it's a sad day to remember, especially for people who lost family or friends. I remember I was at home, and my mom called me from work to let me know. :( The strangest thing is that I saw a dog get hit right outside our house that day, and it just felt as if the whole world was turned upside down. :(

Kirsten
09-11-2006, 02:37 PM
On a day like this, and with all the reports on tv, the memories come back, even though they were never really gone... Can't believe that it's already five years ago, all these memories are still so alive. I guess this is one of the days I will never foget as long as I live, the shock, and the disbelief, and thinking about it still brings tears to my eyes...

Kirsten

lizbud
09-11-2006, 05:12 PM
I remember it like it was yesterday. :( I had called in a sick day at work
early that morning as I had a bad cold & felt lousy. I was laying down on the
sofa watching morning TV when they interrupted to make the news announcement. I quickly changed the channel because I couldn't believe
it was happening. All channels carried news coverage of the planes hitting
the towers.I just sat there in disbelief & it took hours to really sink in.Such
a sad day in history.I didn't personally know anyone that was inside the
buildings but my children both knew friends who they had to check on.

Dorothy39
09-11-2006, 05:19 PM
I can remember that Day, as though it happened , yesterday!!!

I was making a Gift for a friend, had all the stuff out on the dining room table,~~~~~ Wow, I turned off the TV 15 minutes before the first plane struck the North Tower.

My phone rang at 8:50 A.M., of course, it was my MOTHER!!!!! :eek:

Sooo, I turned the Televison back on, and, you all know what happened after that!!!!! :(

mustlovedogs
09-11-2006, 06:08 PM
I was too little to actually realize what had really happened that awful day, and I couldn't realize that it was making history and I really didn't know what happened. All of those amazing souls, lost underneath the rubble, ashes and smoke that were scattered all over the area. Can you imagine just walking down the street, thinking it was a regular work day, and then hearing a loud crash, looking up and seeing a Twin Tower falling down right before your eyes?! I can't even imagine what horror and confusion raced through so many people's minds. May all of those amazing souls forever live on in all of our hearts, and may they forever Rest In Peace!!! :(

RedHedd
09-11-2006, 06:18 PM
I was home recovering from one of my cancer surgeries and had my first post-op medical appointment that day. I will never forget that day.

kb2yjx
09-11-2006, 06:45 PM
I found out after 9/11, that a woman who worked for Cantor Fiztgerald, who was killed, that we share the same name. Every year when I watch the reading of the names, when I hear " Sandra Campbell," I say(which I do everyday for her)a prayer. When I visited Ground Zero, it was very strange to see " your " name on the placque of those for died at the Towers that day. I think if we ever met, we could have been good friends, we sound very similar. RIP Sandra Patricia Campbell

Suki Wingy
09-11-2006, 07:38 PM
I don't want to think about it, too hard. I was on my way out the door to go to school when my mom checked the news for the temperature, and then she started to cry. I knew it was big, and going to 6th grade I didn't know just how big. Before September 11, I didn't know what the World Trade Center was. I knew it was a blow to our country and right down to the indevidual level, and that was bad, however messed up the country may be. No one deserves this.
I tried telling my 6th grade friends what had happened, they wouldn't believe me untill the math teacher turned on the news.
I don't want to think about it. Last night I couldn't sleep, and at 2:00 in the morning they played "One More Day" on the radio with recordings of GW Bush, newscasters, and people who lost loved ones saying things about it and I couldin't take it, I couldn't listen. People on the country station seem to always say "Never Forget", as if we could! Why relive all the horrid details day after day? I've had "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning" in my head all day, and it's been a bad one. I can't imagine how bad for people directly envolved in it. I'm so greatful that they didn't bother US Airways, my uncle is a pilot for them and he lives in Pennsylvania, and he usually takes off in the morning so there was a good deal of chance that if they picked his airline to hijack, he could have been flying it.
My heart goes out to all of the poor thousands of people who had to go through this on a personal level, who's friends and family died. ...

todd
09-11-2006, 09:08 PM
wow 5 years a go

moosmom
09-12-2006, 07:54 AM
I was asleep in bed after working the night shift at the newspaper when my daughter called me. She was quite hysterical saying, "Mom, turn on the tv, a plane just hit the WTC!!!!" Of course she always calls me with some kind of drama, so I was sort of skeptical. That is until I turned on the tv and watched over and over again that second plane crashing into the building. It's something I'll never forget.

Charles, the man who adopted Coco, worked for Smith Barney in the WTC, got out alive, along with all his co-workers.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-12-2006, 08:27 AM
We heard it on the radio at work and sat in stunned disbelief for the rest of the afternoon.......some images will remain with me forever

JenBKR
09-12-2006, 08:41 AM
It's still so fresh in my mind....I remember everything about that day...I was working at a real estate company, and in college, but I was at work that morning and a coworker came in and said that a plane had hit the WTC. We still thought that it was some kind of freak accident. We turned a radio on and when we heard that a second plane hit, we knew it was no accident. I think I can remember every second of that day, but I don't want to forget. I don't want to live my life as if it never happened, as if things like that don't happen everyday in other countries. I want to remember how lucky I am that I don't have to live through that every day of my life. I want to remember those who lost their lives. I want to remember the heros - firemen, policemen, the passengers on flight 93.

Miss Z
09-12-2006, 12:49 PM
I was 9 when that happened, and I remember coming out of school and hearing my mum talking about this 'great disaster' that had happened in America. On the way home, she tried to describe it to me, but being only 9, I didn't even know of the twin towers and certainly couldn't grasp the scale of the disaster. The first thing I did when I got home wa turn on the television, and there were th pictures of those huge great buildings plummeting to the ground. Even today, I have a horrid feeling in the pit of my stomach just thinking about it.

My thoughts are with everyone who was killed or affected by those attacks. Terrorism will never beat us, no matter how much they try to scare and force us into submission, and all the brave people, firemen, police, and others, who saved lives on that day, have shown that.