PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Fridays Health Club #11: The Secret to Success...

christa
09-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Is having the Courage to Begin In The First Place!!!

Week 11 . . . HERE WE ARE!!!

And so far, 11 people have chimed in that they have lost a total of 267 pounds! And sure, that's not just in the past 11 weeks, but we are still gonna count it ;) We wanna share with the world that it is possible to LIVE HEALTHY to LOSE WEIGHT! There is no magical pill . . . it's a matter of taking control of your life, eating right & making a change!

Good luck ladies! (and gents if there are any lurking out there!) LOL

Have a FANTASTIC week! And keep us updated pleeeeeease!!!

PT Pounds Lost: 267 pounds!

beeniesmom
09-11-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm doing ok. Lost another pound. I have slowed down a bit because I am eating a bit more. I was bad yesterday and had a chocolate bar.

So far today I had:
Grits for breakfast
power bar for snack
veggie soup for lunch
a yogurt later
A lean burger (no bread), salad and succotash for dinner.

I have a recipe for you all to try:

Roasted veggies with pasta (I got this one from R. Ray's cooking show).

I love this recipe because it helps a lot when you need a pasta fix.
It's more veggies than pasta.

Preheat oven to 450

1 large onion in half moon slices
3 carrots cut in 2 inch sticks
2 zucchini cut in 2 inch sticks
1 red pepper in strips
2 green peppers in strips

salt and pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup grated romano or parmiggiano cheese.

Put all the cleaned and cut veggies in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper, add oil and mix up with hands until all is coated well.

Spread all the veggies on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam and bake in hot oven (450) for about 12 minutes.

In the mean time, cook your pasta according to package directions. Make sure you use about 1/2 the pasta you normally would. Save about 1/2 cup of the cooking water for later.

When the veggies and pasta are done, combine the veggies, reserved water and pasta in a serving dish and sprinkle with 1/4 cup parmigianno or romano grated cheese. Mix until combined and enjoy. You can eat this hot or cold.

I forgot to add that you can also add a few cups of steamed broccoli to this dish for even more veggies.

JenBKR
09-11-2006, 12:25 PM
oh yummy recipe Carmen! And it's something I can certainly eat because pasta is a staple on my diet. Thanks! ;)

christa
09-11-2006, 05:53 PM
That recipe sounds yummy! We don't eat much pasta, but when we do, I'll have to try it! Could definitely use it with whole wheat pasta!

:D

cyber-sibes
09-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Carmen, that sounds delicious! I haven't been very good about my exercise, but I started walking again. I stopped drinking pop last week, that's alot of calories that I don't miss.

Toby's my baby
09-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Congrats everyone on making it this far!!

I finally got to the weightroom today, I haven't been there in over a week! :eek: Nawtee me, I kind of slacked off last week, because it was so busy, being my first week at the new school and all.

I haven't gotten a chance to weigh myself lately, but I'll try do it tonight. At the weightroom at school, they changed the programs we have to follow, so now I do it kind of like you, Christa. Today was just arms, tomorrow will be leg stuff. I had a lot of fun at weightroom today, because *cough cough* my ex boyfriend was there, (whom I still have a slight crush on :rolleyes: :o). He tried to spot me, but I was too embarrased, so I made my sister do it. After lifting weights, me, my sister, Josh (ex), and Kyle all went running about 2 miles. I had a lot of fun, I found out that running with guys is a lot of motivation, I'm guessing its probably because I don't want them to think I'm a weakling. :p ....wow, this whole paragraph has turned out to sound pretty corny...

I'm trying to eat healthier, but it doesn't always work. I have pretty muched stopped snacking, and I just eat three meals a day, and that is it. I'm very proud of myself, that I have made it this far, I hope you all feel the same way too!

sparks19
09-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Well I didn't start 11 weeks ago :( But I have just recently started a diet and doing some exercise. Can I join in :D lol

We have ditched the chips and cookies and we know have mixxed vegetables for snacks. Our meals aren't perfect, Last night we had a roast pork done in the crockpot with some potatoes cut up into pieces. then we steamed some mixed veggies.

Today for Breakfast I had whole wheat toast with PB and a glass of milk. for lunch I had a salad with carrots, mushrooms, green peppers, and broccoli in it with some french dressing.

I have been walking every morning for 30 mins - hour. So far I have lost 1lb :D

Uabassoon
09-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Like Sparks I'd like to be a late joiner as well! Just to give a little update almost two years ago I started Weight Watchers and have lost 50 lbs and have kept the weight off for over a year!

My partner recently got a gym membership and has convinced me to start going as well (I've been a member but I hadn't gone in nearly a year!). So my goal is to go 3 times a week. I did a good job last week and tonight will make my second time this week.

I am happy with my current weight however I'd mostly like to focus on losing body fat. I would like to drop 5% of my body fat, but I'd really just be happy if I can keep going to the gym. Since I've started going my body feels much better.

JenBKR
09-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Like Sparks I'd like to be a late joiner as well! Just to give a little update almost two years ago I started Weight Watchers and have lost 50 lbs and have kept the weight off for over a year!

Congrats on your weight loss! And keeping it off, which is so hard to do.

k9krazee
09-14-2006, 02:22 PM
:o I haven't been doing very good food wise-lately...I get bored studying at night and start reaching for food...bad, very bad. I also haven't been eating very many meals, I get 12 meals a week on my plan (cafeteria food, goody) and I think I used 5 last week. Everything else I ate came from my room and other events around campus which usually included oatmeal, popcorn, chips and salsa, peanut butter sandwiches, easy mac, or pizza. Pizza...too much pizza eating happening. However, when I do go to the Caf for real food I usually always have soup (they have some awesome vegetable soups!) and a salad. Even though they have a bunch of yummy things to put on the salad (cucumbers, peas, green peppers, tomatoes, carrots...and lots of other stuff) it still gets boring and unfortuately they don't have very many vegetarian friendly foods. And the ice cream is oh so tempting but I've been limiting myself to one small cup once a week.

I did up the exercise though. I walk for, on average, 80 minutes a day. Four classes all a 10 minute walk away and I make a point to walk back to my dorm after every one just for the exercise, and I don't feel like carrying ALL my crap ALL day ;) And I did go to the REC center last Saturday and my legs were KILLING me all week! I've also been going and swimming semi-regularly. I'd really like to make going to the REC more routine. I'm working on that.

So, I'm still at the same spot, haven't lost or gained anything...I'm making a trip to the grocery store this weekend so I can stock up on fresh fruit and water again.

Rachel
09-15-2006, 11:15 AM
It's been a *get real* week for me. Let me explain. I went to the dentist and was told that I will need $3,000 worth of dental work. Due to the medication I take, I have a decrease of saliva which makes teeth prone to decay. Another problem is that although I brush my teeth three times a day and floss once a day, the brushings haven't necessarily followed my meals, i.e., in the morning, before dinner, and before bed.

To get to the point, I was told, among other things, I have to brush religiously after every time I eat, no matter if it is a whole meal or a small snack. You wouldn't believe what a difference that is made in how many times I eat, or should I say don't eat. I say to myself, is wanting to eat that really worth having to brush my teeth again. So as difficult as this process is, it is going to be helpful for me in monitoring how often I eat (translation: no more mindless snacking).