PDA

View Full Version : 5 years since 9/11/01.. PLEASE PRAY..

CountryWolf07
09-11-2006, 01:37 AM
http://i77.imagethrust.com/i/312101/fd493500.jpg

Please pray for America today. Today marks the 5th anniversary of 9.11.01. God bless the lost souls that day & every American who has been been impacted by this horrible, ever-changing event.

The Change - Garth Brooks

One hand
Reaches out
And pulls a lost soul from harm
While a thousand more go unspoken for
They say what good have you done
By saving just this one
It's like whispering a prayer
In the fury of a storm

And I hear them saying you'll never change things
And no matter what you do it's still the same thing
But it's not the world that I am changing
I do this so this world will know
That it will not change me

This heart
Still believes
The love and mercy still exist
While all the hatred rage and so many say
That love is all but pointless in madness such as this
It's like trying to stop a fire
With the moisture from a kiss

And I hear them saying you'll never change things
I do this so this world will know
That it will not change me

As long as one heart still holds on
Then hope is never really gone

I hear them saying you'll never change things
I do this so this world we know
Never changes me

What I do is so
This world will know
That it will not change me..

Pam
09-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Thank you for that Country Wolf. Here are the lyrics from the song Alan Jackson wrote about that day. We will always remember. My church is having a memorial service this evening and I imagine there will be many across the country.

"Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning)"

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day
Out in the yard with your wife and children
Working on some stage in LA
Did you stand there in shock at the site of
That black smoke rising against that blue sky
Did you shout out in anger
In fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry

Did you weep for the children
Who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below

Did you burst out in pride
For the red white and blue
The heroes who died just doing what they do
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself to what really matters

I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
The difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us
And the greatest is love

Teaching a class full of innocent children
Driving down some cold interstate
Did you feel guilty cause you're a survivor
In a crowded room did you feel alone
Did you call up your mother and tell her you love her
Did you dust off that bible at home
Did you open your eyes and hope it never happened
Close your eyes and not go to sleep
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages
Speak with some stranger on the street
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
Go out and buy you a gun
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watching
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns
Did you go to a church and hold hands with some stranger
Stand in line and give your own blood
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love

And the greatest is love

And the greatest is love

The greatest is love
The greatest is love

mugsy
09-11-2006, 07:44 AM
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception here in Ft Wayne is having a mass at noon today.

I heard Mark McGwinn's song about 9/11 this morning...it's pretty good...it's on his new CD.

Please keep them in your thoughts...

ALWAYS REMEMBER!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Visited New York in the December after 9/11 and will always remember the welcome we received. We will never forget.........

zoey
09-11-2006, 09:05 AM
God Bless America. God Bless you all.
http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/pics/2094.jpg

beeniesmom
09-11-2006, 09:45 AM
I was living in Italy when it happened. I will never forget that day.
My mom called me at work and told me to turn on a TV or radio.
It was 3 in the afternoon there. I cried and cried.
I was born in NY and have lived there for 6 years before going to Italy.
My cousins were stranded downtown for days and we were so worried.
We finally got news that they were ok.
Today as I was driving to work I saw the most beautiful thing.
The local fire dept. had erected a flag above the road I was driving on.
The used two fire trucks and had the ladders up in a like this / \ above the road with a huge american flag hanging in bwtween like this /-\ .
I cried while I drove by.

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-11-2006, 09:53 AM
My tv was on CNN, when suddenly I heard the tone for "Breaking news"... . I saw it all happen...... :( :(
I will never ever forget this, I was so chocked.... :(

JenBKR
09-11-2006, 09:56 AM
It's still so fresh in my mind, hard to believe it's been 5 whole years. A very somber anniversary.

Corinna
09-11-2006, 10:01 AM
his is how we remember in Montana.Bigfork, Ferndale hold vigil
Posted: Monday, Sep 11, 2006 - 12:18:08 am MDT
By CANDACE CHASE
The Daily Inter Lake

Firefighter Ken Campbell stands at attention on Sept. 11, 2005, during the Ferndale
Volunteer Fire Department’s annual all-day vigil commemorating 9/11. Photo courtesy of Larry Cutrone

At 6:46 a.m. today, a lone firefighter with a U.S. flag continued a tradition of a daylong vigil in front of the Ferndale Volunteer Fire Department building on Montana 209.

On this five-year anniversary of the terrorist attack, another lone firefighter a few miles away has joined the solemn remembrance.

“This year, Bigfork is also picking up the banner,” said Dominic Kovacevic, a Ferndale volunteer. “We begin at 6:46, the time [Mountain Time] that the first plane hit the north tower” of the World Trade Center.

As in Ferndale, Bigfork firefighters will serve one-hour watches, holding the flag as they stand in front of their fire station on Montana 35 near Flathead Bank.

Fire Chief Steve Hopp said he was amazed at how fast his schedule filled in for the Bigfork 9-11 memorial vigil.

Hopp said he approached the volunteer membership after speaking with Kovacevic about expanding the vigil to Bigfork.

“I got an overwhelming response,” he said. “They did want to participate.”

The 9-11 memorial began the year after 2001 as a tribute to the 343 New York City firefighters who lost their lives running into the World Trade Center to try to save others. The Ferndale vigil has continued each year since — to a tremendous response.

“This little thing in podunk Ferndale got a lot of national notoriety,” Kovacevic said. “We heard from all over the place.”

The department received letters and cards of appreciation from family, friends and co-workers of the lost firefighters. They learned about the event via the Internet as well as from several boxes of T-shirts sent to the New York City Fire Department.

Kovacevic said the T-shirts were donated by Gordon Godfred, president of Polar Graphics in Kent, Wash., for participants in the vigil.

This year, the back of the shirt features a large graphic of a flag created from tiny silhouettes of a firefighter. It says “Home of the Brave — Honor America’s Firefighters — September 11, 2006.”

For Kovacevic and Hopp, those words pretty much say it all about why their departments decided to hold the vigil.

“It’s the five-year anniversary,” Hopp said. “We don’t want anyone to forget.”

The two hope to expand the observance to the rest of the fire departments in Flathead and Lake counties. Both are excited to hold the vigil this year on the main highway through Bigfork.

“We have a high volume of traffic,” Hopp said.

Even on the less-traveled Montana 209, the public gives the firefighters a gratifying response. Both Kovacevic and his wife Carolyn, also a volunteer, stand a one-hour watch each Sept. 11 at the Ferndale station on the corner of Montana 209 and North Ferndale Drive.

He said they saw “a little bit of everything” from the public.

“Every logging truck driver took off his cap when he went by,” Kovacevic said of years past.

School-bus drivers and families passing by pulled over in their cars. Some of the children came over and stood near the firefighter.

People came by with vases of flowers or treats such as bags of cookies.

As a participant, Kovacevic found his hour spent holding the flag a time of deep introspection. He contemplated the tragedy, the loss of the New York City firefighters and fire-fighting in general.

He figured out that 343 firefighters standing 100 feet apart would span the 7 miles from the outskirts of Kalispell to the White Oak Inn.

After the first year of the vigil, he no longer wondered if people in the community would understand the symbolism of a lone firefighter with a flag standing silently on Sept. 11.

“It’s not complicated and heroics aren’t complicated,” he said. “You reach deep and you do the job.”

Kovacevic said each firefighter who died, as well as those who survived, understood their chances of returning from the burning towers were “slim to none.”

“There’s a fine line between heroism and stupidity,” he said. “Firemen understood the risk. That’s true bravery.”

Reporter Candace Chase may be reached at 758-4436 or by e-mail at [email protected]

Laura's Babies
09-11-2006, 10:17 AM
I was on my way to Florida to pack up to move back to Louisiana and on the way I had to stop to sign paperwork on my new house. One of the girls at the office was standing at the door and was frantically waving me to hurry up and get inside. She thought I was just driving by and heard it on the radio so I pulled over at the first place I saw to see a TV. I just had got inside and focused on the TV when the second plane hit, we knew without anyone saying anything then, that it was no accident.

I watch the show last nigh those 2 film makers were making about that new fireman (a documentary) and was in downtow New York, they caught the noise of the first plane going overhead (on video) and everyone looked to the sky. The scenes they did inside the tower as things were happening was heartbreaking. The loud crashing every so often of the people who had jumped hitting the end of their life..... I sat here and cried and cried just like it was happening all over again. The end of the day when the firemen went back to the station and how they hugged each other, kissed one another and just held each other and cried. It was so emotional and heartbreaking to see.

sparks19
09-11-2006, 10:42 AM
I will be keeping candles lit all day. I have said a prayer for all those that lost their lives in 9/11, those that are fighting for our country, and those that have lost loved ones. I say a prayer for the whole world today. We are facing a determined enemy and our whole way of life is threatened more than we may think.

God bless us all and take special care of those families that have lost the ones they love. We need you now more than ever.

Corinna
09-11-2006, 10:55 AM
his is how we remember in Montana.Bigfork, Ferndale hold vigil
Posted: Monday, Sep 11, 2006 - 12:18:08 am MDT
By CANDACE CHASE
The Daily Inter Lake

Firefighter Ken Campbell stands at attention on Sept. 11, 2005, during the Ferndale
Volunteer Fire Department’s annual all-day vigil commemorating 9/11. Photo courtesy of Larry Cutrone

At 6:46 a.m. today, a lone firefighter with a U.S. flag continued a tradition of a daylong vigil in front of the Ferndale Volunteer Fire Department building on Montana 209.

On this five-year anniversary of the terrorist attack, another lone firefighter a few miles away has joined the solemn remembrance.

“This year, Bigfork is also picking up the banner,” said Dominic Kovacevic, a Ferndale volunteer. “We begin at 6:46, the time [Mountain Time] that the first plane hit the north tower” of the World Trade Center.

As in Ferndale, Bigfork firefighters will serve one-hour watches, holding the flag as they stand in front of their fire station on Montana 35 near Flathead Bank.

Fire Chief Steve Hopp said he was amazed at how fast his schedule filled in for the Bigfork 9-11 memorial vigil.

Hopp said he approached the volunteer membership after speaking with Kovacevic about expanding the vigil to Bigfork.

“I got an overwhelming response,” he said. “They did want to participate.”

The 9-11 memorial began the year after 2001 as a tribute to the 343 New York City firefighters who lost their lives running into the World Trade Center to try to save others. The Ferndale vigil has continued each year since — to a tremendous response.

“This little thing in podunk Ferndale got a lot of national notoriety,” Kovacevic said. “We heard from all over the place.”

The department received letters and cards of appreciation from family, friends and co-workers of the lost firefighters. They learned about the event via the Internet as well as from several boxes of T-shirts sent to the New York City Fire Department.

Kovacevic said the T-shirts were donated by Gordon Godfred, president of Polar Graphics in Kent, Wash., for participants in the vigil.

This year, the back of the shirt features a large graphic of a flag created from tiny silhouettes of a firefighter. It says “Home of the Brave — Honor America’s Firefighters — September 11, 2006.”

For Kovacevic and Hopp, those words pretty much say it all about why their departments decided to hold the vigil.

“It’s the five-year anniversary,” Hopp said. “We don’t want anyone to forget.”

The two hope to expand the observance to the rest of the fire departments in Flathead and Lake counties. Both are excited to hold the vigil this year on the main highway through Bigfork.

“We have a high volume of traffic,” Hopp said.

Even on the less-traveled Montana 209, the public gives the firefighters a gratifying response. Both Kovacevic and his wife Carolyn, also a volunteer, stand a one-hour watch each Sept. 11 at the Ferndale station on the corner of Montana 209 and North Ferndale Drive.

He said they saw “a little bit of everything” from the public.

“Every logging truck driver took off his cap when he went by,” Kovacevic said of years past.

School-bus drivers and families passing by pulled over in their cars. Some of the children came over and stood near the firefighter.

People came by with vases of flowers or treats such as bags of cookies.

As a participant, Kovacevic found his hour spent holding the flag a time of deep introspection. He contemplated the tragedy, the loss of the New York City firefighters and fire-fighting in general.

He figured out that 343 firefighters standing 100 feet apart would span the 7 miles from the outskirts of Kalispell to the White Oak Inn.

After the first year of the vigil, he no longer wondered if people in the community would understand the symbolism of a lone firefighter with a flag standing silently on Sept. 11.

“It’s not complicated and heroics aren’t complicated,” he said. “You reach deep and you do the job.”

Kovacevic said each firefighter who died, as well as those who survived, understood their chances of returning from the burning towers were “slim to none.”

“There’s a fine line between heroism and stupidity,” he said. “Firemen understood the risk. That’s true bravery.”

Reporter Candace Chase may be reached at 758-4436 or by e-mail at [email protected]

Kirsten
09-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Laura, they showed the rerun of this documentary two nights ago, two French brothers who just made a film with the fire department... Watching it is bringing all this horror back...

I will never, never forget that day. When it happened, it was afternoon already here in Germany, I was at work, and a friend sent me an email saying two planes have crushed into the ´World Trade Center, and that one tower has already collapsed. She also wrote that another plane has hit the Pentagon, and that there's going to be war now. We tried to get some more news on the internet, but all the news pages were down because there was too much traffic... :(

When I drove home, I listened to the radio, I learned about the plane that came down in Pennsylvania, and I heard the second tower of the WTC collapsing live on the radio, and the reporters were crying... it was like the entire world turning into a nightmare.

When I came home, I saw it tv, again and again, and I called a friend and we cried on the phone together over so many lives lost. I think we spoke till midnight.

This is how I remember that day. I will never forget it.

Kirsten

todd
09-11-2006, 09:10 PM
wow 5 years a go

BC_MoM
09-11-2006, 09:25 PM
It's actually seemed longer than 5 years. Everytime I see clips of that day I get all shivery.

My heart goes out to all Americans and those who suffered loss of loved ones.

*LabLoverKEB*
09-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Thank you for that Country Wolf. Here are the lyrics from the song Alan Jackson wrote about that day. We will always remember. My church is having a memorial service this evening and I imagine there will be many across the country.

"Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning)"

Out in the yard with your wife and children
Working on some stage in LA
Did you stand there in shock at the site of
That black smoke rising against that blue sky
Did you shout out in anger
In fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry

Did you weep for the children
Who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below

Did you burst out in pride
For the red white and blue
The heroes who died just doing what they do
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself to what really matters

And the greatest is love

Teaching a class full of innocent children
Driving down some cold interstate
Did you feel guilty cause you're a survivor
In a crowded room did you feel alone
Did you call up your mother and tell her you love her
Did you dust off that bible at home
Did you open your eyes and hope it never happened
Close your eyes and not go to sleep
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages
Speak with some stranger on the street
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
Go out and buy you a gun
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watching
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns
Did you go to a church and hold hands with some stranger
Stand in line and give your own blood
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love

And the greatest is love

And the greatest is love

The greatest is love
The greatest is love

Pam, thank you for posting the lyrics to this awesome song, I listen to it all the time, such a good one. Prayers going out the everyone who has lost a loved one.