PDA

View Full Version : Vaccinations required for therapy work

wolfsoul
09-10-2006, 08:10 PM
I remember talking to the lady in charge of the canine therapy program (taking the dogs around to hospitals and such) last year and I considered doing it with Visa. However they hold their screening in the vet's office so I know Visa would not do well lol. I thought about doing it with Solo when he is old enough though.

So I talked to the lady today, and she said that the rules have changed and they are being alot more strict as far as the dog's health goes. She said that the dogs must be vaccinated for EVERYTHING annually, including things that most vets won't even recommend. Now I'd understand if it was something contagious to humans such as giardia or leptospirosis, but why everything else? A human can't catch parvo, and if a dog is having severe vomiting and diahrrea it would't be able to go out anyways.

My vet thinks it's ludacris, she often signs papers saying that the dog has been vaccinated for everything because she knows it's ridiculous and that even an immune impaired person will not become sick from a dog disease.

Is it just me, or does everyone think that the dog's cleanliness as far as grooming and tooth brushing goes is more important than a myriad of vaccinations?

CathyBogart
09-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Ouch! I hope it's not the same in my area because I'd love to get Jasper into therapy work, but I am NOT going to assault his immune system like that in order to do it. It's good that your vet is so understanding.

Cincy'sMom
09-10-2006, 09:27 PM
We are part of the Therapy Dogs INternational, and unless the change is recent, they do not require annual vaccinations, however they do require a vet's sign off. Titers can be performed in palce of the vaccinations, or there can be an ligitimate excuse as to why the dog is not vaccinated.

Cinder & Smoke
09-11-2006, 02:41 AM
My vet thinks it's ludicrous,
she often signs papers saying that the dog has been vaccinated for everything
because she knows it's ridiculous ...

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif

Lying under the color of a Vet's License is NOT something I'd be proud to do;
nor have my Vet do!

If she lies about vaccinations - what ELSE does she lie & cheat about?

/s/ Phred

lv4dogs
09-11-2006, 02:13 PM
In my area a dog must have a current rabies vaccine (state law) to do therapy work. As far as other vaccines go, it varies depending on the facility. Some require them to have all their vaccines & some do not.
I am not sure how it is up there, I am sure it is different than the states.

It's great of your vet to do that for you. I am still having a hard time finding a vet that is knowledgable AND supportive or limited vaccines AND a raw diet.

kb2yjx
09-11-2006, 06:50 PM
I had 2 cats that were Delta Society Therapy cats for years. If Delta has not changed their regulations, they accepted a 3 year rabies shot and the regular annual distemper. One of the therapy cats had several bad reactions to the distemper, so they did accept the homeopathic nosodes. Maybe you should see if your dog could be a Delta therapy dog. Tell them Spunky and Ralph(Lifetime Achievement: Therapy Cats of the Year, 1995) sent you!! Good luck!