PDA

View Full Version : Flea Season

DianeSnizzy
09-09-2006, 07:53 PM
When is "flea season" over??? I'm in NY (Long Island) and these fleas are making me CRAZY!!!!!!!

I have the Frontline stuff for the kitties, but I want to do an agressive "de-flea-ing" of the carpets, etc once flea season is over and continue doing it so we don't get infested again next season.

rg_girlca
09-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Oh wow. Nothing is worse than a flea infestation in the house.

I don't know if flea season is ever over, but I could be wrong. I know when I had an infestation of fleas in the house, it took 2 good treatments before those little buggers were gone. I never vaccuumed and washed everything so much in my life. :eek:

Wishing you all the best of luck with this.

DianeSnizzy
09-11-2006, 09:10 AM
I've been vacuuming a lot... it seems to help temporarily and then they're right back again.

I bought this stuff at WalMart -- something to sprinkle on the carpets and wait 30 minutes and then vacuum it up. It's supposed to get rid of the fleas and the eggs. I'm going to use it after giving the cats a flea bath and putting the Frontline again.

Here's another question... do the fleas basically stay "where the gettin' is good" meaning, do they basically hang out where humans and animals are? Or would they hide in closets or dressers, too? I can't imagine having to wash every single piece of clothing we own!!! It's going to be bad enough doing all the pillows, blankets, comforters, etc.

catmandu
09-11-2006, 09:33 AM
i would be careful buying things at Wal Mart as you have no idea how long they have been on the shelf.
I have seen Cat Food in Wal Mart that has been past the expiry date.
I would try Smith and Smiths, as there are Pet Talkers who swear by thier products.

jenluckenbach
09-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Flea season is temporarily over after a hard freeze. But if the weather warms up again, they will be back. :(

The number one best way to rid your home from fleas is a profesional exterminator.

Your next best alternative are foggers. You would need to get enough to treat the entire house, but at the same time don't over do it. Read the square footage on the packaging and consider the layout of your home. The fog gets into all the crevices, etc, but it isn't going to go around the corner and down the stairs. ;)

Have your pets treated AT THE SAME TIME as your home! (they will need to be out of the house anyway).

And be prepared to do it all again in 2 weeks. Fleas are VERY resistant. If only 1 pregnant female lives through treatment #1 it will escalate again.

Good luck.

DianeSnizzy
09-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied.

Oh, how I would love to have a professional exterminator come in but they cost a fortune!! I will probably have to buy the foggers (if I can find them... I've looked for them in several stores and couldn't find them)

I had also planned on bringing the cats to a groomer for a flea bath, but they want $50 per cat (I have 4 cats), so that's out of the question. I have flea shampoo, so I will have to bathe them myself.

My plan is this... to give the cats each a flea bath. Take them out of the house in their carriers and then do the fogger thing. Hopefully, that will work.

Wish me luck!!!!! :eek: