PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed on Sick Cat @ Home

Anikaca77
09-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi,

As most of you know I adopted a new kitten from my Bellefonte, PA rescue and he was sick with an URI and now I think my older cat the one he plays with is getting sick.

He acted very strange last night just layed around and his ears and nose were really hot so I called the vet to schedule an appt. for tonight which he has.

But I was hoping to get some advice first before hand, he acts like he is going to throw up a hairball but he doesn't. I have given him medicine for that and earlier this week he did manage to throw one up but that was it. He is eatting and drinking but I'm so afraid that something is up with his stomach or something.

Please let me know any thoughts.

Thanks,

Melissa

moosmom
09-08-2006, 12:31 PM
It's possible that the kitten may have some kind of intestinal parasite. Most kittens are born with them and are easily treatable.

This is gonna sound gross, but when you kitty vomits, do you see little white strings of spaghetting that move??? If so, then that's the problem. Sounds like a trip to the vet is in order.

Anikaca77
09-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure to be honest...he was treated for worms and put on revolution to help with fleas which of course worked wonders..

Sebastian (the cat) just vomitted up a hair ball with some food but now he's not able to throw anything up.

I'm getting kinda worried that maybe he swalled something and it's stuck but I think if that's the case he would not be able to eat or drink like he is now.

-Melissa

It's possible that the kitten may have some kind of intestinal parasite. Most kittens are born with them and are easily treatable.

This is gonna sound gross, but when you kitty vomits, do you see little white strings of spaghetting that move??? If so, then that's the problem. Sounds like a trip to the vet is in order.

kittycats_delight
09-08-2006, 02:09 PM
can you check your cats breathing rate? it should be between 20-30 breaths per minute. i know from past experience that sometimes when a cat hacks like it wants to vomit but nothing happens it is due to a respiratory issue. but it could be something else too

Anikaca77
09-08-2006, 02:28 PM
thanks for the advice...i just hope nothing is too wrong with him...

can you check your cats breathing rate? it should be between 20-30 breaths per minute. i know from past experience that sometimes when a cat hacks like it wants to vomit but nothing happens it is due to a respiratory issue. but it could be something else too

Lizzie
09-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Earlier this year, I was convinced that Nougat, my Siamese, was choking because she kept making the throwing up motions but nothing came out, and her voice sounded strange. It turned out that she had a very bad sore throat and the calici virus cat cold.

rg_girlca
09-08-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm sorry that I have no advice, but just wanted to say a little prayer for your cat that it isn't anything too serious and all will be well with him.

Please let us know what your vet has to say.