PDA

View Full Version : question about Foxfire

CatLuvrs
09-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Do you all that have foxfire did you delete Internet Explorer from your computer? I tried using IE again and the pop ups on there even with the blocker on and on high are ridiculous! Foxfire does have those. I don't understand why I can't get them to stop on IE :confused:

Vela
09-08-2006, 08:14 AM
Nope I left IE on my computer when I downloaded Firefox. You can also use a popup blocker toolbar like yahoo or google (i use google when on IE).

CatLuvrs
09-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Nope I left IE on my computer when I downloaded Firefox. You can also use a popup blocker toolbar like yahoo or google (i use google when on IE).

I have the toolbar on there and it still pops up. I have tons pop up and don't understand why. :confused:

Blue_Frog
09-08-2006, 08:55 AM
If you are getting pop ups -- and lots of them -- even with a popup blocker, and when going to sites that normally don't have popups, then your computer might be infected with spyware.

Try downloading Lavasoft's Adaware - its a free spyware cleaner - at http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=506&file=11&evp=8dbaff7daca8f4b55bf695220993fc0f

Run the updates, and run the scanner, and just follow the prompts.

Vette
09-09-2006, 03:42 PM
I get that too... part of the reason why i hate Internet Explorer.
before i knew of FireFox and was stuck using Internet Explorer as my main browser,, i used this thing. (its free)
and a awesome pop up blocker. but ever since i started using FireFox i havent had the annoyance of popups
so havent used it in a long time.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/pow.htm

CatLuvrs
09-09-2006, 03:47 PM
That the same thing I did. Foxfire and NO pop ups. it was ridiculous the pop ups I had. I have the spyware remver for comcast and used it every day there would be some on there and I would delete them. I will use the spyware thing you sent me thank you.

Jessika
09-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Firefox only prevents popup windows that try to open in Firefox. Firefox has no prevention against popup windows in Internet Explorer.

You can not delete internet explorer completely from your computer because your OS kind of needs it. All the windows you open, your My Documents nad My Computer folders... all run with IE. So you can't delete it completely. But what I did was delete ALL shortcuts I could find that lead to IE and then I renamed the FireFox shortcut to "Internet" so that if I had visitors or friends over who wanted to use my computer, they would know to use Firefox to get on the internet instead of searching around on my computer for internet explorer.

BUT if you are getting popup windows and do not even have any browser window open, you most likely have spyware. I recommend Ad-aware and Spybot Search and Destroy. Run them and update them RELIGIOUSLY! I run mine at least three times a week, if not once a day. It will find stuff you didn't even know you had :)

G535
09-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Windows Explorer, the programme that opens My Computer, Documents etc is a totally different programme from Internet Explorer, most people get them seem to think that they are the same programme. :)