PDA

View Full Version : Coins, Coins & Coins?

sandragonfly
09-06-2006, 10:56 PM
anybody save in coins too??

I love to! one of tricks/tips to save money for me. today I decided just to get rid of a big glass vase full of coins I've saved over a year and half from every change and count them to make it lighter in cash. :p

anyway, the total was ... $403.76. :eek: most of them are quarters. still pretty a lot to me even though I stole some quarters out for emergency laundries lol.

it would be niceee to spend what I had on clothes I need if I didn't promised my ark I'd save for them. ;) so, do you too?

K9karen
09-06-2006, 11:21 PM
How wierd you mentioned this.. I just started a huge bottle around June and have been tossing in all my change. Not only is my purse 10 pounds lighter, but I thought it'd be a fun way to save without really thinking about it!. As a kid, I remembered my mom saved pennies and once cashed in over $200! That's alot of counting!
I'm still trying to fill up my mom's new quarters book. I need 2006 N and S Dakota. Sooo. if anyone can send them to me, I'll send you a plain old quarter in return.

BC_MoM
09-06-2006, 11:27 PM
WOW! Way to go Gina! What a nice amount of cash, hehe.

My family and I were always filling ice cream buckets full of coins when we were younger. Once rolled and cashed in, we had over $500. :eek:

I think I'm going to start again now that you mentioned them again! :D

Sevaede
09-06-2006, 11:31 PM
WOW! That is a lot!! :eek: Catnip mice and turbo scratchers for your whole crew? Soni recommends Fancy Feast new gourmet food!

Troy and I have saved ever since we've been together. The most we've ever had at once was when I was saving to fly to get Spanky and I saved $380, at twenty dollars a week. But, we've had amounts from 40 to 60 like for emergency food fund and to help with our move and the like. I am not sure how much is in the jar now...

Maresche
09-07-2006, 01:03 PM
My Husband saves his change that way and cashes it in every year in late June/early July. The proceeds go towards fireworks that he sets off at his parent's BBQ every 4th of July.

His total has never been about $40 though. We use our debit card too much.

Karen
09-07-2006, 01:13 PM
I save my change all week, and it goes into the piggy bank at the back of my church every Sunday, which is a collection for Heifer Project!

Pembroke_Corgi
09-07-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm terrible at saving. Maybe I should try this!

Logan
09-07-2006, 01:44 PM
That's a good idea, Karen! I'm familiar with the Heifer project because our Vacation Bible School collects for that project every year (and yes, they request everyone to send their change). :)

Scott and I have 3 money jars. There is one huge vase on our dresser where he dumps his change (and yes, I have "borrowed" from it at times for lunch money and drink money for the children). There is a small glass container in the kitchen where I empty my pockets and my wallet, occassionally, too. And there is a jar above the washing machine, as well, where I gather up any stray coins that end up there. We "cash in" in June of each year to pay for our "fun" on our annual beach trip. Sometimes we have in excess of $100, maybe even more.

Logan

Rie Rie
09-08-2006, 07:57 AM
I have one of those Kentwood water jugs that I've been been putting change into for years, not everyday. If I could keep my son out of it I might be able to save quite a bit. I used to count it every now and then just to trya nd keep up with about how much is in there, but haven't done that in a while.

sandragonfly
09-08-2006, 10:46 AM
quoted by pembroke corgi
I'm terrible at saving. Maybe I should try this!

yeah, go for it! just toss, toss and toss in, you'll be surprised how fast your bucket fills up.. unless you use your debit/credit card at most of time. I used to love cashes but was mugged once, rarely have cashes on me and $400 is a lot! :) I started saving in honor of my edges kitty who worthed every penny died for an unknown reason.

what is heifer project? :confused: :confused:

have fun, BCmom! :D

oh k9karen, I think I have these quarters! I'll check it for you, ok? did you wanted D or P?

sandragonfly
09-08-2006, 11:15 AM
karen (logan's mom), I have an idea, you could go to any local bank, and ask for them! I've went to bank(s) for certain (dollar, canada, etc.) coins, or bills.. it is fun to have $2 bills! :D I'm sure bank has, always has the newest coins so, try?

Karen
09-08-2006, 11:35 AM
what is heifer project?

A great, wonderful, worthy charity. They are the embodiment of the old axiom:

Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll eat for a lifetime.

They give an animal, a heifer for example, to a family in a very poor, often third-world country. The family then raises the heifer, can use her manure to fertilize their crops, use her milk for their children, and to sell, or to make cheeses to eat and sell - it changes the whole standard of living for a family, and often the extended community. And the only "catch" is, the first calf the cow has, they give to another family designated by the Heifer Project, and then they can keep or sell any futher offspring.

http://heifer.org

sandragonfly
09-08-2006, 11:46 AM
I see, thanks!

anna_66
09-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Since I'm a waitress and we carry our own bank (we are the cashier) I always used my change for that but recently I started saving my change and it's built up quite nicely over the last few months. I think this will be my Christmas shopping money:)