PDA

View Full Version : Ally & Connor - Bad News :(

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-06-2006, 01:23 PM
To keep things short:

We may be relocating due to my hubby having been offered a new job. We will know all the details, and it will be finalised in the next two weeks, but if we DO accept it, I will not be able to take Ally and Connor with me, and will have to have them PTS :(

I can't even look at them without crying. If I have to do this to them, I swear it will be the last time I want to have pets - this just hurts too much :(

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-06-2006, 01:31 PM
OMG Julie, that is terible....!!!! Isn't there enybody there in Bahrain who can adopt them?? Or your family in the USA?

Sevaede
09-06-2006, 01:33 PM
I am so sorry that this is happening (for the kitties and for you!)!

Who has made the final say in this? Did you look for a place that would allow your kitties? Can you rehome them?

Logan
09-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Oh Julie, surely someone would take those beautiful kitties if you have to go without them. Please hold out hope and start the process of investigating that possibility. I hope something will work out.

Logan

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-06-2006, 01:42 PM
The issues with rehoming them are:
1) Every cat-lover I know is already at their own personal limits - given that all my friends are expats, and the ultimate aim is to take their cats with them when they leave (which costs a fortune).
2) We only have ONE shelter and it is high-kill - last month alone over 150 cats and dogs were PTS. The majority of placements are people wanting cute little kittens , not:
An adult female cat with aggression issues (Ally)
and an Adult deaf, tailless, balding, overweight cat (Connor) (yep - my two are REALLY the sort that only a mother can love!)
My MIL in SA MAY take Connor - however he would be inside/outside, and being deaf this is NOT really an option.

IF we move it will be to Lagos, Nigeria. A TINY 3-rd floor appartment with only one bathroom and no utility room, so no-where inside for litter boxes. Warren is concerned about having the boxes on the balcony as:
1) the building manager will not allow the balcony to be enclosed (so a 3-floor drop for the cats if they get adventurous)
2) the litter may attract horse-flies etc which may carry disease - Lagos is very humid and disease-ridden, so we have to minimise the risks (we have to consider Cali's health)

(We can't chose different accomodation as it is company-provided) :(

Randi
09-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Oh Julie, I'm really sorry to hear this. :( I know Ally has some "issues" and will probably be difficult to rehome, but Connor?

I hope you'll find a good solution for all! :) All the best of luck!

((((hugs))))

Catty1
09-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Well - I hope your husband DOESN'T get the job, and you understand why I say that!

If the pay isn't that much more - and the housing so much smaller (for you, let alone your furbabies), is it worth it?

Can you say no without jeopardizing work?

HUGS!

PT Prayers work - and you have them from me!

momcat
09-06-2006, 02:16 PM
I can't imagine your heartbreak right now. How awful that you can't include your fur family in this!!! I only wish I knew what to say or do to make you feel better and keep Ally and Connor with you. Is this something that could be negotiated or worked out with your husband's employer? There must be some sort of workable option in here somewhere. Prayers are being prayed that your furkids will remain with you! :( :( :( :(

Donnaj4962
09-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Oh what sad news. I am so sorry to hear this. I hope that you can come up with some sort of solution! Remember, this is fresh news, and you may not have had time to figure out a plan! Please keep us posted.

Prayers coming that a good solution is found.

Sevaede
09-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Are you comfortable with them going to anyone else?

I am so sorry that you're faced with such a difficult decision. I hope, like Catty, that this job does not go through (with the best of intentions!). It does not seem like you are benefiting at *all* from this job change. :(:(

Laura's Babies
09-06-2006, 04:29 PM
This is so distressing to me and they are not my babies.. I couldn't begin to imagine how stressed you are. Lets HOPE and PRAY something happens to turn this around!

lizbud
09-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Well - I hope your husband DOESN'T get the job, and you understand why I say that!

If the pay isn't that much more - and the housing so much smaller (for you, let alone your furbabies), is it worth it?

Can you say no without jeopardizing work?

HUGS!

PT Prayers work - and you have them from me!

I also hope he doesn't get the job, for all the same reasons. Will be
praying for other alternatives to show up.

Felicia's Mom
09-06-2006, 05:47 PM
I know how you feel- having to rehome both of my cats earlier this year. I did find good homes for them and pray you can do the same.

catmandu
09-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Thats awful news about Ally and Connor.
We have come to know and love those Cats, and the thought of them being PTS is depressing.
I hope that he doses not get that job either.
Who would ever want to live in Nigeria?

Russian Blue
09-06-2006, 06:52 PM
What a sad situation. :( I'm also hoping something changes and this will not be the final result. Wish I could do more for you from my end. (( Hugs ))

jenluckenbach
09-06-2006, 07:10 PM
This is a truly horrible situation. :( :( I feel so badly for you.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

Craftlady
09-06-2006, 08:34 PM
If this company offering the job is truely worth their salt, they should allow you all to find your own housing that would be more suitable size wise etc.
I dont think much of a company that would put someone in this postion to make these kind of decisions just to move to take a sticken job. There are plently of other jobs/companies out there in this big world.

I'm sorry that this new job offer has put your family in this awful situation.

Logan
09-06-2006, 09:18 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Julie and her husband's entire family are in South Africa. Although I'm not sure how I would react, were I in her shoes, she has been our friend long enough to know that she will only do what is right for her family, including her husband, baby and the kitties.

Julie, I know it has not been easy for you, living in Bahrain. I also know that you live in a very beautiful, large home, and moving to a small apartment, with the baby, let alone your cats, is hard to even consider.

Please just take it one day at a time and try to think "bigger" than just your friends, where Ally and Connor are concerned. Maybe there is an outlet, somewhere, to help with them. I know living in Bahrain is not like living in Greenville, SC, but still, there is bound to be someone to help you.

Best wishes. My prayers are with you.

Logan

krazyaboutkatz
09-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Julie, I'm so sorry to hear this:( and if you have to move I hope that you'll be able to find new homes for both of your furkids. I sure don't know what I'd do without mine. It's just too sad to think about.:( Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-07-2006, 01:57 PM
This is an amazing career opportunity for hubby. He has already been for a visit to see the accomodation, offices etc. This appartment is by far the best available in the area - it has a lovely green park, a play area and swimming pool for Cali - all the others were just concrete jungles. (It is actually the previous MD's appartment - he moved several times in the two years he was there, so I am sure this must be the best available - so he has arranged for us to take it over when he leaves (Warren is replacing him).

We are also still waiting to find out if Cam has been accepted into the British School there - should know tomorrow.

I DO love my house here, the size etc, but we always knew that sooner or later we would have to move.

We are hoping to settle permanently in either Australia or Canada in the next two to three years, and this position would be the stepping stone we need to get W into a top management position, and also put away the cash we need for the relocation.

I am still hoping and praying for a solution.

Kirsten
09-07-2006, 02:13 PM
OMG, Julie, this is so terrible, and my heart breaks for you!!! :( :( :( I cannot even think of Ally and Connor without wanting to cry for them, so how must you feel now when you look at them?

I really really hope that there will be a solution!!!

Kirsten

Catty1
09-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Is there a fostering possibility in another country?

COuld a nice military person help with transport???

Grasping at straws...but I wonder....

ramanth
09-07-2006, 03:05 PM
*Hugs*, hopes, and prayers for a better solution, but I know you are doing all you can.

jazzcat
09-07-2006, 03:21 PM
What a terrible situation for you Julie. I'm praying you are able to find a good solution. How sad. :(