PDA

View Full Version : Family/Work Problems

areias
09-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Okay, this might turn out to be a rather long post, but I am looking for an outsiders point of view.

"Mike" is my dad, not blood related but the only one I've ever known since I was about 5. However, him and my mom are divorced now too, he lives in an apartment about 20min from me. He went through a bout of extreme alcoholism about 6 months ago-last year, for the longest time, he did not have a job, lived at my moms house even though they were divorced, was drunk pretty much whenever he was awake, or he was passed out somewhere (found him asleep out side in a thunderstorm, on the kitchen floor, etc) and I have two young siblings (ages 6 and 9) who witnessed all this daily. He then found a job delivering pizza at Dominos since about January, he moved out of moms, and seemed to get somewhat better, although definately not completely better. He also made some choices while he was living at moms, that I lost some of my respect for him, that I would rather not get into.

So when I found that I needed to quit one of my jobs (an abusive dog kennel) immediately, he got me into Domino's and I was delivering pizza with him, that was back in april/may. Everything was fine, I loved the people I worked with, etc, loved the job. I am now a vet tech, but I've stayed with dominos part time. About a month and a half ago, Mike got promoted to assistant manager, admist a little disagreement with the rest of the staff. Since then, I've seen problem after problem. It's almost like he went on a power trip-was talking about firing this person, that person, etc. He had huge problems with the manager in training, Will, which he did not have any problems with before he became asst. manager. Will came up to me one day to ask me what my dad had against him. I told him I didn't really know, I thought that they were at least somwhat friends beforehand. Will said some about a power trip, and I agreed with him. The next day, my dad fired Will. He also made a pass at a friend of mine, too (He is 37, she is 20) and grabbed her face and kissed her, and asked her to come back to his place with him after she pushed him off. She is homosexual...I know she wasn't lying about it. Since she refused him, he has been a completely -insert curse- to her, and the 3 guys that we both hang out with. And ever since me, her, and the three guys that work there have been hanging out outside of work, he hasn't talked to me at all, it's been about 3 weeks. He won't really respond to questions, or won't acknoweldge me when I tell him something, and didn't even call me on my birthday. He came to work drunk a couple of times too. I knew something was wrong...but figured it would come up eventually, or blow over. And whenever he knows I'm about to hang out with these people, he'll keep me working as long as he can, and sometimes he keeps me until 1 or 2 in the morning, doing his stuff!

Last night when I was checking out, he told me he needed to talk to me. He accused me of saying things to other people about him, that he told me in confidence. Not once did I say anything to anyone. He said that I told Will that he didn't want Will around anymore. I told him what I typed earlier, that will had come to me, and that I didn't say much. He also said that "what I've been doing while out with the people from work reflects badly on him". I haven't done anything that would reflect badly upon anybody! These are probably the most respectful people I've hung out with in a while, compared to some other people I know. He went on and on about it, and I told him and denied the stuff he was talking about. I asked him to tell me specifically what I've done, or what I've said, and he wouldn't tell me.

So today I get a phone call at about 10am...he told me he was letting me go!! That I shouldn't work there with him, and not to come to work tonight. I was so shocked and surprised...hung up on him. NOW I have something to say about him. I called my mom, and she got extremely angry. It is pretty much unlawful firing, so we called corporate and such, and I am thinking of getting a lawyer. Then I called the general manager, chris, (my dads boss) to get reports of the files of firing and any disciplinary reports and such. I am going in at 10 tonight to discuss this with him-he had no idea that my dad was going to fire me. So hopefully that will get sorted out, and if he sticks with my dads decision I'm going to try to sue them, at least for lost wages and stuff. But unfortunately I no longer have any type of respect for my dad, and it has ruined my relationship. I still want to work at the store, but I'm not sure if I really should. I rely on the extra money, but at the same time, my dad is there. It is a really horrible situation, and I am pretty upset. I have to leave to go talk to Chris now, but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. :(

Lady's Human
09-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Unless you have a contract or another document stating specific conditions in which you may be terminated, you are an employee at will, and can be terminated because the owner has a bad hair day.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but working with family can create problems.

cmayer31
09-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad experiences at work. I believe Dominos is a mix of company and franchise owned stores. If this store is company owned bypass everyone at the store level and go straight to human resources. Document everything that has been said and done in the past to the best of your ability. I mean right down statements and date them as accurately as possible. There is more than likely a field contact and 800 number to reach HR. Explain your situation and hope for the best. One thing to be leery of is many corporations have policies about working with relatives in the same store. I'm not sure if this will work in your favor or against.

If this store is a franchise then I'm not sure what route to go, but a HR manager is going to be your best friend in this situation. Do NOT let the store do, or say anything to you without bringing a human resource manager into the loop. Hell go all out and demand district manager and HR manager information. Call them and if you're not happy with their response ask for their boss.

The key here is to not say anything out of anger or passion. Stick to the facts and talk only to people that matter. In this case a general manager doesn't sound like an appropriate person as a pending termination has already taken place.

Write things down and get witnesses to sign the documents. Keep everything professional and be a better person by not dealing with the issue people. In this case let them make fools of themselves and you deal with the right people in a professional manner.

Laura's Babies
09-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Sounds to me like your Dad has broken MANY company rules, starting with sexual harrassment, why did she not call and report THAT? Why did no one report that he is coming to work drunk?

If that 20 year old is still there, why not report him NOW and get rid of the jerk?

The workers there are enabeling him to do these things by not reporting him so as long as no one reports him, he will get braver and braver and pull more and more.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Report him, then walk away. You deserve better

Cataholic
09-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Find another job. I can't believe you would go through the bother of thinking of making a claim against the company, based on what you have mentioned. Where was the illegal firing conduct as it relates to YOU? And, why EVER would you want to be in such an environment?

But, I would think a little bit about some life style choices. If this is what you are dealing with, at age 20 (or, was that your friend's age?), with a minimun wage type job, imagine how you would feel dealing with that in your 40's?? I would look into furthering your education. Not that you won't have to deal with jerks like you have described your father to be, but, hopefully it won't be as often.

I never understand getting embroiled in this sort of thing, instead of just taking your energies and walking away. :confused:

JenBKR
09-06-2006, 11:17 AM
I am so sorry that you've had to deal with your father being this way. I can't even imagine how heartbreaking that must be. I know that he is not your biological father, but that doesn't matter. He has raised you, he is your father. I hope that you can get this whole thing resolved easily. Good luck ((((hugs))))

areias
09-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Thank you for the replies.

I got my job back, I started back tonight. My dad had called and apologized, but I think the general manager made him, as he really didn't talk to me again tonight. We'll see what happens, but for now it's ok. Me and Chris, the general manager, had a long discussion about different things, and it turns out my dad had lied about things that I had supposedly said (that I wanted to quit and stuff?) and that I agreed to leave? So that is where that stands.

I can't, and don't really want to get in the middle of any sexual harassment accusations, that is my friends issue should she choose to pursue it.

Find another job. I can't believe you would go through the bother of thinking of making a claim against the company, based on what you have mentioned. Where was the illegal firing conduct as it relates to YOU? And, why EVER would you want to be in such an environment?

But, I would think a little bit about some life style choices. If this is what you are dealing with, at age 20 (or, was that your friend's age?), with a minimun wage type job, imagine how you would feel dealing with that in your 40's?? I would look into furthering your education. Not that you won't have to deal with jerks like you have described your father to be, but, hopefully it won't be as often.

I never understand getting embroiled in this sort of thing, instead of just taking your energies and walking away.

Well, I really like the job. That is why I stay. It is decent money, I like my 'duties', and I like most of the people I work with. I don't see why I should leave if I only have a riff with my dad. Literally, everything else is fine, which is why I questioned why I was being fired. It really wasn't fair.

I am 19. Domino's is my part time job, full time I am a vet tech. I tried college for a year and it didn't work out, I really didn't enjoy it. -shrug- Maybe if I find something that I like, I will go to a technical school or certificate program. I am really starting to like working with the xray machine, maybe something along the lines of that, but for right now I am fine. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
09-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Sweetie - you do what feels right for you. Sounds like you have an ally in Chris

Laura's Babies
09-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Great that you got to keep your job!

pitc9
09-08-2006, 01:14 PM
If you're happy with the outcome, then that's all that's important!
AND it's also important that he acts like a professional at all times.
Good Luck to you!