PDA

View Full Version : Cellphones - UNusual usage..........?

sasvermont
09-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Tonight, while driving home from the office, I spied a kid cutting the lawn while on the cellphone. I have seen two people in the same car, in the front, using two different phones at the same time. I have seen people on horseback using the phone and also kids on bikes, using the phone. We have a guy (lawyer) at work who uses the phone when he is ummmmmm....using the toilet. It makes us all ill to even think about it....can you imagine? Talking to your lawyer, paying him oh, $250 an hour and then hearing the almighty flush noise?

Has anyone else seen other odd cellphone usage?

I am starting to hate cellphones. :eek:

sammy101
09-05-2006, 06:37 PM
I was working out at the YMCA and some guy is chatting on the phone while he's doing machines and what not. And he had his wife or girlfriend with him and i felt so bad for her. He was talking REALLY loud,lol.

buttercup132
09-05-2006, 06:39 PM
I bring my phone when I'm riding...you never know when your going to get into trouble...

I use my phone constantly, I sometimes use it in the house instead of my home phone.

I hate it when people drive and talk ont hem though. It totally distracts them from driving properly. Like my mom:rolleyes: :mad:

cmayer31
09-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Often times when I'm travelling for work there will be 4 of us in a car and all 4 of us will be on different calls at the same time. I can only imagine what it looks like if someone were to pull up next to our car. The conversations get confusing too because try as I might I always end up involved in one of the other calls at the same time.

I always see people in drive throughs while ordering also on their phone. People running around the bay on their phones is also a common sight.

zoey
09-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Our maid at the old house used to talk on her phone while mopping, always.
And the guy that cleaned the pool at my complex would always be on the phone while cleaning. He had an ear piece so, many times i thought he was talking to me, but then realized he was on the phone. lol.

Danegirl2208
09-05-2006, 06:46 PM
lyesterday there was a guy sitting in the middle of the intersection chatting away on hes cell, it was SO random, there was no car around he was just sitting there..i pulled up to the light and there he was cracking up at whatever and talking on the phone.. :confused: WTF?? lol..we went out to eat the other day and walked passed a table, where EVERY single one of the family members was on their cells, there was 5 of them..just a tad bit strange lmao

chrissycat21
09-05-2006, 06:48 PM
I bring my cellphone when I go riding too, its just incase something were to happen to me so I could contact someone. So far I have been lucky and haven't had to use it yet. There are some people there who call their friends and such while they're riding, but I'd find that distracting.

My sister was at a friend's house and the girl didn't feel like getting up and going to ask one of her parents something, so she called them from her room on her cellphone. It's pretty sad how lazy some people can be! (Her parents where just one floor below her)

Pam
09-05-2006, 06:51 PM
We have a guy (lawyer) at work who uses the phone when he is ummmmmm....using the toilet.

I work for an ophthalmologist and several months ago I was walking by the patients' bathroom. I heard a conversation going on in there and knew this person had arrived alone. I wondered if maybe she was someone with a multiple personality and she was chatting with one of her other selves. :p Silly me.... it never dawned on me until much later that she was talking on her cell. :rolleyes:

Killearn Kitties
09-05-2006, 06:58 PM
I quite often see guys in in diggers, digging up the road etc, on their mobiles.

kuhio98
09-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Here's my cell phone story (btw, I hate cell phones).

I was at a restaurant that had a salad bar. I grab my plate and start going around the bar. The guy ahead of me is talking on the cell phone. Since I hate cell phones, I have been trying very hard to tune out these intrusive conversation -- people I DON'T CARE to list to your inane, boring, pointless conversations -- Anyway, he's holding up the line while he makes his choices so I'm right next to him. I hear him say, "Do you want tomatoes? Some carrots? Crutons?" He's talking to someone in the restaurant and making a salad for them! Unless that person is disabled in some way, this is totally stupid. When he's done, he hangs up and walks to his table. No, he was not with a disabled person. She was walking around the table still talking on the phone (to someone else, I guess). :mad:

I_luv_rusty
09-05-2006, 07:17 PM
When I went to my friends house once she called her parents when they were a floor below her.(simular to chrissycat12 said) Also once she called her parents when they were just right inside when we were in her backyard,why waste your minutes when you can just walk inside??? :confused: I've also seen people at fast food places talking on their cells while their working the register. I've never seen people talk while their on a horse (they might have them in their pocket) but, I would never do that what if the horse goes crazy and starts galloping and you lose control. I have seen ppl smoke while their on horses, which is the soo stupid!!! :mad:

Lady's Human
09-05-2006, 07:24 PM
The dumbest place I have ever seen a cell phone in use was at a secure military airstrip while a unit was boarding aircraft to go to Iraq.

In the entrance to the facility is a large sign "No cell phones, pagers or other electronic devices beyond this point"

At the beginning of their embarkation brief they are told repeatedly that after X time, no communications will be allowed with their family until a time TBD after they arrive safely in country.

After they have a catered meal, they are again told that there are to be no communications after the briefing which will begin in 5 minutes.

They are then briefed that the following brief is classified information, and unti l their arrival in country there will be no communications with anyone outside the unit.

After all these briefings, while walking out onto the tarmac to board the aircraft, a soldier pulled his cell phone out of his pocket, and called home to tell them he was getting onto the aircraft to go to Iraq. :rolleyes:

(The cell phone was crushed in place, the flight schedule was changed to recover from the security breach, and I'm sure the soldier still regrets having his cell phone)

Edwina's Secretary
09-05-2006, 07:34 PM
At the hairdressers? Okay...it was me... a client wanted a 15 minute conference call at the same time I had a long overdue hair appointment.....

My sister...who lives outside Chicago...did a phone interview while we were having lunch outside in SoCal....

and some of you know from where I conduct many telephone interviews.(Please ignore the splash...I fell off my raft....)

Why not take advantages of technology????

Laura's Babies
09-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Here's one for you! My DIL works part time at a newspaper the day the papers are printed. She works back there where they make/print them. It is so noisey that they have to wear ear protection...ear muffs. Her cell vibrates when she is working one day, she looks, it is her mother so she answers and puts the ear part under her protective ear muff which holds the phone, frees up her hands to continue working while she carries on a long phone conversation in a place that is so loud that nobody can tell she is talking on the phone! :rolleyes:

RedHedd
09-05-2006, 07:51 PM
In an elevator - GRRR :mad: At the grocery store, just standing there, yakking away, blocking traffic. Of course while driving, but the worst is while parallel parking or backing into/out of a parking spot - Yikes! Pay attention people!

People walking down the street yakking away, not paying attention to who they're running into or what color the light is - people, a RED light does NOT mean Walk! At least not on this planet!

Alysser
09-05-2006, 10:01 PM
The stupidest place I have seen someone use their cellphone has to be in public bathrooms. They are pissing and talking on the phone. CAN'T IT WAIT! Seriously, what if they get up the phone falls in the tiolet?? :rolleyes:

Also, at a mall once I was washing my hands and a women was chnaging her babies diaper and talking on the phone. EWWWWW! There was stuff all over her hands and phone. Ew it was revolting.

Once my friends mom called her during class and she answered it and went outside to talk. WTF? lol your not supposed to use a cellphone in school. She got it taken away.

catnapper
09-05-2006, 10:19 PM
I hate when kids at stores are ringing you up at the register on cell phones. My daughter's friend got kicked out a store for 6 months friday night ebcause the "manager" was on the cell while making his ice-cream cone. When he complained, she called security and they kicked him out! :eek:

Though like ES, I would be lost without my cell. I run my own business and when you are still a young company, you can't afford to miss one call. I often am scooping kitty litter at Petsmart's adoption center while discussing major design revisions.. I ask the person on the other end to either fax or e-mail the hardcopy of what they asked me to do just so I don't have to take notes. :p (then I quickly call home and tell Ashley to not pick up the phone since a fax is coming over ;) )

My one client knows about the litter so he asks if I have a scoop in my hand or not. LOL

dragonfly
09-06-2006, 03:52 AM
Here's my worst cell phone experience, it was when I was working at Petco still. This younger guy is there on his cell phone and he asks me to help him pick a better dog food than what he's using now. So I think o.k. he'll rap up the phone call and then I'll go ahead, but no he wants me to help him while he's still on the phone. The phone call is with his girlfriend by the way and they are having a big fight. Needless to say I learned more about their relationship than I needed to but he did get the better food for the dog.

Anyway, I think when it's business and you aren't being rude to anyone then you should take advantage of technology. And of course if it's an urgent call then answer. The thing I hate about cell phones is so many people are constantly on them. Like the people who use them in check out lanes or the guy in my story or people just walking down the street ignoring everything but their phone call, hello, real live flesh and blood person in front of you how about some honest to goodness human interactions. I think that cell phones are really starting to alienate people from one another. Think of all the chances for connecting to other people we are missing out on when we are constantly glued to our cell phone. Unless it's an emergency I always hang up or refrain from using it when there is a person with me.

Wow sorry for the novel, probably too much info, I guess it's kind of a peeve of mine.

sasvermont
09-06-2006, 07:12 AM
Also,when driving to and from the office I must pass by the University of Vermont and Champlain College. As one could imagine, I see hundreds of students and teachers, but mostly students. How can I tell? That's a different thread topic, for sure. Later.

Anyway, 9/10 of the students are on cellphones and the ones not using the cell are tied to their IPODS! They all look alike! They dress the same - hair looks similar....sound familar anyone? I think its called peer pressure. And...belonging.....and so, I do understand the cellphone usuage situation and the IPOD etc. etc. it just isn't my generation. Do I have an IPOD? Yes. Do I have a cellphone? Yes. But I am just not tied to them. I have other habits to keep me company! Don't ask. And no, I don't smoke cigarettes. :rolleyes: :D

Joannie
09-06-2006, 07:32 AM
I live in California, need I say more? :rolleyes:

Cataholic
09-06-2006, 08:39 AM
At the hairdressers? Okay...it was me... a client wanted a 15 minute conference call at the same time I had a long overdue hair appointment.....

My sister...who lives outside Chicago...did a phone interview while we were having lunch outside in SoCal....

and some of you know from where I conduct many telephone interviews.(Please ignore the splash...I fell off my raft....)

Why not take advantages of technology????

As usual, I simply stare in AWE! I couldn't agree more. WHY is it soooo different, or more offensive to talk on a cell phone than it is to carry on a conversation with the person standing right next to you? You only get 50% of the 'noise pollution'. I really don't understand the ire cell phones raise in people.

sasvermont
09-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Cataholic, I think my concern is that so many people cannot think straight as it is and to add another distraction, especially while driving a car etc. is scarey. I know that cellphones are here to stay, I just want folks to know that computers, cellphones, IPODS are not "their family" and they don't need to take them every where they go....or should I say, use them to the point of distraction from the main event...i.e. vacation...shopping...movies...dinner...

I carry mine with me all the time. I just don't use it unless it is really important. I know that some folks use it differently....as in calling home to ask...."shall I get the Skippy Peanut Butter" or the "store brand".....hey, live life dangerously and get Skippy.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-06-2006, 08:57 AM
A memorable bus ride to work one morning.....woman having public row with hubby over the phone and he kept hanging up on her but every time the phone rang again she answered it and they carried on rowing......until...................... after 20 minutes of this...........I said "for crying out loud switch that ***** thing off " rather too loudly but to a round of applause from fellow passengers :D

Cataholic
09-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Cataholic, I think my concern is that so many people cannot think straight as it is and to add another distraction, especially while driving a car etc. is scarey. I know that cellphones are here to stay, I just want folks to know that computers, cellphones, IPODS are not "their family" and they don't need to take them every where they go....or should I say, use them to the point of distraction from the main event...i.e. vacation...shopping...movies...dinner...

I carry mine with me all the time. I just don't use it unless it is really important. I know that some folks use it differently....as in calling home to ask...."shall I get the Skippy Peanut Butter" or the "store brand".....hey, live life dangerously and get Skippy.

I know. I wasn't really including you in the 'ire'uppers' category. It was more just of a general comment, as cell phones REALLY seem to irritate people, and I just don't get it. Bothersome noise, be it loud talking, loud mufflers, public 'rows' (he he he), or loud music, is rude. It isn't just loud cell phone conversations, right? BUT, some people (not you, SAS) seem to be prejudiced (LOL) against cell phone usuage. To me, if you ain't paintin' it ALL with a wide brush, you shouldn't paint the cell user, either.

I use my cell phone for everything. In the car, in the house, in the street, etc. I don't have a home phone connected anymore (though, I do have a line into the home for internet). For me, my cell phone has come in handy WAY more than it has been a hinderance.

sasvermont
09-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Listening to a one-sided conversation is frustrating at best. One can only "imagine" what the other person is asking/saying. In a way, it is "TOO MUCH INFORMATION'...... to listen to couples fighting or Mom's arranging rides, etc.. Who cares what they want at the store....etc. etc. I don't care to know that much about a complete stranger's life.

I suppose we will all become accustomed to it at some point and then they (hehehehehe) will come up with a new item of distraction.

I think it's called "the old fart syndrome"...... hehehehehehehe :D

Blue_Frog
09-06-2006, 10:08 AM
I almost got rear-ended last night by a Driving School Instructor ... talking on his cell phone. I shudder to think what he's teaching the kids in any of his classes!

On average tho, i generally dont care if people are talking on their cell phones -- except the car. Im on the road for about 2 hours a day worth of commuting, and almost get smucked into at least once a day by someone on a cell. This morning - a taxi driver. Last nite, a driving instructor and some girl in a cavillier who just started 'drifting', saw me, slammed the brakes and dropped the phone. *sigh-and-headshake*

Freckles
09-06-2006, 10:14 AM
A girl dropped the phone.
A few years ago in Portland, EMT's were assisting a woman in a crashed car who explained, just before she died, she had dropped the phone then tried to retrieve it.

Blue_Frog
09-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Freckles
A few years ago in Portland, EMT's were assisting a woman in a crashed car who explained, just before she died, she had dropped the phone then tried to retrieve it.

Yeah, i've heard of accidents like that too -- dropped cell phones, cigarettes, CDs, etc. Distracted driving = sooo dangerous!!

A couple months ago (or so), there was a woman talking on her phone who caused an accident - and when the paramedics turned up, they found her severed arm *still holding the cell phone*

http://www.wlextv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4449021

elizabethann
09-06-2006, 11:48 AM
The other day I was at Barnes & Noble and this woman was talking sooo loud on her cell phone. Instead of listening to her stupid conversation, I should have thrown a book at her head....like War & Peace or something.

I don't have a cell phone. Though I've thought of getting those pay as you go ones for any emergencies in the car or out on a hike. But I find cell phones to be expensive. I think they're great if you have kids & you can keep tabs on them.

Argranade
09-06-2006, 12:15 PM
I could have got one but then chose not too .

Here are some facts.

Did you know? Cell phone facts and figures...
40 million cell phones will be turned over annually
75% of cell phones are sitting in people's drawer's at home or at the office and end up going to landfills
250,000 tonnes of toxic material from e-waste end up in landfills
average household has between 2 to 3 cell phones awaiting disposal
cell phones use a dull metallic ore called "Coltan", this ore is found in major quantities in eastern areas of the Congo and mining occurs in the middle of endangered gorilla and other African animals and their habitats
cell phones contain toxic substances such as arsenic, cadmium, cobalt, copper, lead and zinc (some of these hazardous substances are a serious threat to the environment and public health).
there are 57 zoos that are participating in cell phone recycling.
any kind of cell phone (and pagers) will be accepted for recycling, even your old cell phone from 10 year ago

I hate those phone's now its desturbing animals habitat's. :mad:

Why is there Coltan in cell phones?

When refined, Coltan becomes a metallic tantalum, a heat resistant powder that can hold a high electrical charge.

These properties make it a vital element in creating capacitors, the electronic elements that control flow inside miniature circuit boards.

Tantalum capacitors are used in almost all cell phones, laptops, pagers and other electronic devices.

Logan
09-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Just let my puppy, Mack, at those offensive cell phones. They will be no more, I promise!!! :eek: I am a living witness to what one 5 month old English Bulldog puppy can do to a cell phone. :o Mine was destroyed on Sunday when I left it sitting on the coffee table and left the room for about 15 minutes. Thankfully, I have insurance on it, but still it was $75 "deductible" to replace it with one that I like far less than the Motorola I had.

My cell phone is my business lifeline, but I do try to respectful when I use it. And now I'm in the process of "relearning" it. I am no technology wizard and had to have Helen's boyfriend "fix" it for me while we were driving to her volleyball match yesterday! LOL!!!

Logan

Lady's Human
09-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Not sure about other countries, but the in United States import of tantalum from any african country is illegal, as is the sourcing of products from African ores. This is due to the environmental impact of the mining, as well as the fact that much like "war diamonds" the funds from the mining go not to the people or the government of the country, but to local warlords. There are enough sources for tantalum that DON'T impact the environment that there's no need for african sourcecs in the US Market.

wolflady
09-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Whatever did we do 15 years ago when cell phones were not as prevalent as they are now? :rolleyes: Seriously, my peeve with cell phones is that I think they are used too excessively. I do have one, but I don't use it to the point that it's like an additional growth coming out of my head. I can get by without it, but it comes in handy if I need a quick answer or in an emergency. I also have it because of work.
I have a lot of pet peeves, and bad driving while talking on a cell phone ranks high at the top. If you can't talk and drive properly at the same time...don't! *sigh*
I swear, people are on their phones all of the time and everywhere. At the grocery, in the bathroom, in the movies (another peeve), in their cars, everywhere you can imagine!

I'm the type of person to make a call (if it's that urgent) before I leave home in the morning, or when I arrive in the office. I see people already on their phone when they're pulling out of their driveways in the mornings. Seriously...is it really THAT important? :rolleyes: *snicker* I just find it amazing that people just have to yap on their phones at all times in all locations. Mind-blowing...*snicker*

Edwina's Secretary
09-07-2006, 12:30 AM
At the recent wedding of some friends....my husband and I thought it would be amusing to call the cell phone of the groom during the ceremony....the bride disagreed.... :D :rolleyes: :D

(we were only kidding plus the ceremony was too short to dial all the numbers required..... :D )

dragonfly
09-07-2006, 03:46 AM
He probably would have answered too. :rolleyes:

elizabethann
09-08-2006, 03:31 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH!

I just sent an email to our Human Resources Department. There are 2 women in my office who receive daily cell phone calls. One woman receives about 5-7 daily. Their ringing bugs the crap out of me and when they're not there to answer, their phones ring & ring until they go to voice mail. I was trying to concentrate today and couldn't. I just think it's sooooo rude. Hey, if you want a cell phone, that's fine. But why do I have to listen to that annoying ring and your stupid conversations about what you're cooking for dinner??!! So I'm causing trouble and suggested in my email that we have a meeting about cell phone etiquette (like putting it on vibration) and when making personal calls (like a 1/2 dozen times per day), go someplace where others can't hear you!!

I'm so glad I got that off my chest! Thanks!

cyber-sibes
09-08-2006, 09:13 PM
I just recently got my first cell phone. I use it mostly when I'm traveling and I do feel safer having it with me. It does come in handy - have you tried finding a public phone lately? They are going the way of party-lines and dial phones!

I work part time in retail and it is really annoying to have someone talking loudly the whole time they are shopping & even in the dressing room. The other day I thought this woman had lost her marbles - she was standing there and would blurt things out. She totally ignored us. When she was leaving I realized that thing on her ear must be one of those new what-ever-you-call-them phone things that hangs around your ear.

I don't mind new technology, but not when you are driving or supposed to be concentrating on something else. And keep your voice down, for heaven's sake! The whole world is NOT interested in your conversation!

dukedogsmom
09-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Four prisoners in El Salvador had smuggled some in prison that were in plastic baggies. They also had one charger and nine cell phone chips. They weren't using them just then (had to do an xray to find them) but you've got to admit it's unusual.

jesse_3
09-08-2006, 11:22 PM
I love my cellphone! No, it's not attached to my ear, but I do call my cousin/best friend about 2 times a day. We live three hours apart, and never get to see eachother, and we always have so much to talk about.
I do NOT take it to work though. I do NOT talk on it if I am in line waiting to get to the till. etc etc etc.

I don't see a problem with them as long as you keep your voice down, and you keep it on vibrate in public places. If someone is going to need to talk to you (cashier, etc) then say "Hey I will call yah right back." Obsessing is not a good thing.

cyber-sibes
09-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Four prisoners in El Salvador had smuggled some in prison that were in plastic baggies. They also had one charger and nine cell phone chips. They weren't using them just then (had to do an xray to find them) but you've got to admit it's unusual. :eek: This one should win the prize for "most unusual location for a cell phone!"

Miss Z
09-09-2006, 04:07 PM
I've had a window cleaner on his ladder cleaning the bathroom window and talking on his phone at the same time :p

Thankfully, talking on your mobile whilst driving is illegal here, although I know a lot of people who do it anyway.

I have a mobile which I do like very much, but I don't usually call on it, I'm more of a text person. If I call someone on my mobile, it's usually just to tell my parents that netball practice has been cancelled or something, if I want to call a friend, I use the landline, much cheaper. ;) Mobiles can be a good thing, they can help to reunite separated mothers and kids in a busy crowd and are perfect for emergencies or calling home when you are abroad, but, sadly, they are also the cause of much theft, muggings, and even stabbings :(

lizbud
09-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Four prisoners in El Salvador had smuggled some in prison that were in plastic baggies. They also had one charger and nine cell phone chips. They weren't using them just then (had to do an xray to find them) but you've got to admit it's unusual.

That must have gotten a lot of press coverage. I heard Jay Leno crack
a joke about it the other night. :D Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Pembroke_Corgi
09-09-2006, 05:30 PM
My sister was at a friend's house and the girl didn't feel like getting up and going to ask one of her parents something, so she called them from her room on her cellphone. It's pretty sad how lazy some people can be! (Her parents where just one floor below her)
Lol! I actually think this is a good idea. :o It beats yelling anyway. I actually wish the teens at the RTC I work at had cell phones to phone the staff, so I could just take one call at a time instead of having 10 needy kids surrounding me.