PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Phone Number Look-Up

elizabethann
09-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Is there anywhere on the web where I can do a FREE reverse phone number look-up?

Somebody from the following number keeps calling me & hanging up:

866-682-8740 (I did *69 to find the number - I don't have caller id)

It's driving me nuts!!

Is 866 a toll free number? If so, I can always call it.

Thanks for any info you can give me! :)

Ginger's Mom
09-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Yes, 866 is a toll free number. As to your question about a reverse # look-up, if you go to the MSN homepage you can use their White Pages link and then go to reserve # search, or you can use searchbug (www.searchbug.com).:)

elizabethann
09-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Yes, 866 is a toll free number. As to your question about a reverse # look-up, if you go to the MSN homepage you can use their White Pages link and then go to reserve # search, or you can use searchbug (www.searchbug.com).:)

Thanks!

Ginger's Mom
09-05-2006, 06:51 PM
I tried that number on searchbug, it says no match found, which means it is probably an inside line and you would need to know the trunk number, and obviously you don't know that without knowing the company. Sorry. My bet is it is a company that you already have some dealing with (credit card, internet server, whatever) trying to get you to upgrade to something better. Many will hang up after two rings so they don't get your answering machine (if you had one).

RedHedd
09-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Yup- anywho.com Use it all the time to find witnesses.

Catty1
09-05-2006, 09:10 PM
It might be a telemarketer. If you call the number and it is busy or goes weird, that's likely the case.

But if someone keeps hanging up - like you can hear a real person doing that - or even if you can't - also call your phone service provider about it.

I couldn't find any matches on it.

HEY - I'd forgotten about this, I just found it! "Toll-free directory assistance for some toll-free numbers can be obtained by calling 1-800-555-1212"

It's a free call.