PDA

View Full Version : Exercising a Puppy

MRichardson50
09-05-2006, 01:19 PM
I have a 4-month old Cocker Spaniel who is adjusting very well to his new environment. We have had him for approximately a five or six weeks. Does anyone know the appropriate amount of exericise she should get? I try to walk her in the morning before work and in the evening. Sometimes she doesn't appear to want to go and will sit down in the street. Is a mile too much or too little?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

luvofallhorses
09-05-2006, 01:27 PM
for a puppy that young, I think a mile would be too much. that's jmo though. just start out slow with her and work up to a mile as she gets older. :)

elizabethann
09-05-2006, 01:29 PM
I use to walk Fenway allot when he was a puppy. I'd say we did about 1 mile. He's very small (only 20lbs) so when he would get pooped, I'd just pick him up & carry him a little bit and then put him down and he was ready to go. So, personally, I don't think 1 mile is too much for a puppy. May I suggest you start small though? Perhaps do 1/4 a mile for a few weeks and then build up to a mile? I did that with Fenway. Now, at 3 years old, the most he's ever walked is 7 miles (and he still wants to go further)! I wish he would carry me when I'm pooped.

zoey
09-08-2006, 08:15 AM
maybe when she sits down, she just wants to rest a bit and catch her breath. When I first got Daisy, I'd go a few blocks and always stop and rest a bit before continuing for another stretch. Daisy has always done better if she warms up a bit before exercising. Even with playing ball. But she's just about an adult now, and I see her stamina getting stronger.
Congrats on your new puppy!!