PDA

View Full Version : Tiffany's going to be spayed on the 13:(

elminster20
09-05-2006, 12:19 PM
So I called the vet today to book Tiffany's spaying. It's set for the 13th and is a one day procedure. She gets dropped off at 7:45 that morning, the surgery is at noon, and between 5 and 7:30pm that night we can pick her up. The cost is $227.00, and although that might be high, or low, I don't know, we didn't shop around because, well, that vet clinic is the only one we're comfortable with. I'm nervous...... She's my little girl, and they're going to cut her open, and I know that it's necessary, for us, for her, for the boys, but still...... She's my little girl.....

No food or water after 9pm the night before, or the morning of....... How do you do that in a multi-cat household!!?!? We could lock her in the spare room overnight, but that's where our brand new, EXPENSIVE computer is located. Our bedroom isn't really an option either, what with all three sleeping with us most nights........ Should we just suck it up, take all the food and all that water away........... because that could make for a loooooooooooooooong night, for all of us.......... I'm not quite sure how to go about it, any suggestions? Also, what should we expect when we bring her home? I'm sure the vet will explain it all to us, but still, opinions and stories are always welcome!!!!!!

Thanks all

Reachoutrescue
09-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Well, you could take the food away from all of them....it is only for one night. Once you put Tiffany into the cat carrier for her trip to the vet, you can put the food down for the boys. It should be okay. They may complain, but hey, you're the mom!

When she comes home make sure you change all the litter boxes to either shredded newspaper or litter called "Yesterday's News". The dust from regular litter can cause infection in her tummy. But change every box, she may end up sneaking and using another box that is not changed. Watch her close for 10 days....don't let her jump or wrestle with the boys....I know easier said then done. But if we could do it with over 10 cats....you should be okay. Give Tiff a small amount of food about 3 hours after you bring her home and plenty of water. The next day she should be eating normal. Check her gums every couple of hours for the first few days. If they are white or pale, call you vet immediatly!

Good luck Tiffany and Mom! :)

kimlovescats
09-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Tiffany will do just fine! That fee does seem a bit high to me, but it's worth it to be comfortable with the vet who is taking care of your little girl! ;)

Lizzie
09-05-2006, 01:02 PM
I think Tracy (RoR) just told you all you need to know. I also remove all food and water from all the cats and put it down as I leave with the vet-bound cat. I've done this lots of times without a problem - except for reducing my breakfast to a banana and a cup of tea because they are the only things the ravening hoard won't try to tear out of my hands.

Since I have a few cats who are messy eaters, and I don't vacuum every day, I do a thorough check of the areas near food bowls to check for any dropped kibbles because Murphy's Law dictates that the starving cat that finds the dropped kibbles in the night will be the one who shouldn't eat them.

I always put a cat just back from surgery in their own room because they will weave around all over the place and don't have good control over their movements. They will try to jump onto things, and fall down. Confinement is safest for them and allows them to "sleep it off" in peace. A cosy cat bed in a bathroom would be fine.

As Tracy said, they are not supposed to jump around, but the alternative is to tie them down so I just try to block off anything that is really high or provide a stepping system such as boxes underneath windows.

elminster20
09-05-2006, 01:54 PM
thanks for the advice and kind words everyone. My last experience with spaying/neutering an animal in my home was with Emma, my mother's shitzu-maltese mix. I would have been......... 17? We brought Emma home, dopey as all get out of course, and I held her while mom made the bed on the living room couch (she was the only animal at that time). Emma started to cry, and then mom started to cry because Emma was crying....... So I've got two crying females in my arms, and really, it just went downhill after that. Mom insisted that I sleep in the living room that night, with Emma, but Emma had the couch, so I............... Got the floor!!!!

My own place now so you can be sure there will be no sleeping on the floor for anyone, animal or otherwise!!!!! Grrrrrrrrr..........

Anyway, thanks again, I appreciate it all!!

Lizzie
09-05-2006, 01:59 PM
thanks for the advice and kind words everyone. My last experience with spaying/neutering an animal in my home was with Emma, my mother's shitzu-maltese mix. I would have been......... 17? We brought Emma home, dopey as all get out of course, and I held her while mom made the bed on the living room couch (she was the only animal at that time). Emma started to cry, and then mom started to cry because Emma was crying....... So I've got two crying females in my arms, and really, it just went downhill after that. Mom insisted that I sleep in the living room that night, with Emma, but Emma had the couch, so I............... Got the floor!!!!

My own place now so you can be sure there will be no sleeping on the floor for anyone, animal or otherwise!!!!! Grrrrrrrrr..........

Anyway, thanks again, I appreciate it all!!

Why did it have to be you sleeping in the living room and not your mom? :)

CultureJunky
09-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Good Luck at the vets Tiffany, and although it may seem your mum is being cruel taking your food away from you, don't worry you'll be spoilt rotten when you get home and you're recovering! It's all for the best, no unwanted accidents or furbabies, and you'll live a healthier longer life for it too.

catmandu
09-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Can you lock him in the bathroom?
Thats what I did with the Cats who needed to be isolated.
I remember doing taht with Mr Scrappy then melting as I heard his sad meeows.
You should have seen the look on his face as he went from one empty bowl to another.Was he ever suprised to see no food.
MMMMEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOWWW????????????????
Good Luck with Tiffany on the 13th.

rg_girlca
09-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Awww Tiffany, you will be just fine little one. :) I'm going to be making an appointment soon also for the kitnapped girl, (Petula), so I know how nervous your meowmie is. ((((((HUGS)))))) to meowmie and headbumpies to you sweetie.

That's what I like about my vet. I bring them in the night before and then pick them up after 6:00 p.m. the next day. So I don't have to deal with the food issue.
Gosh, to have a female spayed where I go, it only cost $75.00 and for the male it's $45.00. It's a teaching hospital, so that's why their prices are lower. But they always have the head vet there with them.

krazyaboutkatz
09-06-2006, 01:41 AM
You've been given some very good advice already. I'll also be going through this very soon with my newest addition Ziggy Stardust. I have a cage and I plan on trying to keep her in here for as long as I can so she can heal up properly. I also used this when Starr was neutered and it worked out well. I'll be taking her to my local Humane Society and they charge $99 for spaying. My vets office charges some where between $200-$300 and they like to wait until the kitten is at least 6 months old or older. I don't want her to go into heat and I've also heard that younger kittens heal up much quicker so she'll be going in on Sept.22nd. Good luck. I'm sure that everything will go well.:)