PDA

View Full Version : Sasha loses it over fireworks...we need help

Queen of Poop
09-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Spent the last long weekend of summer at the lake. As luck would have it two nights in a row someone decided to light off fireworks. This drives my poor Sasha absolutely around the bend. She pants, tries to dig, tries to squeeze herself into the smallest space she can find and generally totally freaks out. There is no consoling her. She is a 12 year old Border Collie/Healer cross. Never had these issues before this summer. I assume it has to do with her aging??? I had talked with her vet earlier about her reaction to thunderstorms (it's about the same) and he said we could medicate her but that it would have to be year round. I'm just not sure that is the way to go. I'd love to hear any suggestions any of you might have before I go to the vet and get drugs for my baby. It broke my heart that I could do nothing for her.

coco-bean
09-05-2006, 09:51 AM
I think the medication may be the solution since it is not only fireworks, and it is thunderstorms! As luck has it, the weather guy isnt ALWAYS right haha, so you just never know when your going to need to console her! I only know about this from a book I read, Marley and Me!(true story) basically as the dog aged, it seemed to get worse, so medication may be needed, but maybe there might be some kind of other medication given that is only taken when needed, instead of year round! I hope that kinda helps! Good Luck! :confused:

critter crazy
09-05-2006, 09:54 AM
My aunts dog has to be medicated for the exact same things. She is much more happier when medicated. Before she was medicated she would litteraly try to tear the house apart trying to escape from the loud noise of storms, and fireworks. It has worked for her!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-05-2006, 09:55 AM
try this - worked wonders for my Aunty's dog

http://www.dorwest.com/

CathyBogart
09-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Just a word of caution - when we started to medicate Star for her anxiety, her personality completely changed, even after we took her off the meds. :( She used to be outgoing, energetic and playful. Now she's reserved, sluggish, and irritable with other dogs who want to play.

elizabethann
09-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Fenway hates fireworks, thunder and gun shot. He freaks out and shakes, yawns (a sign of being scared) and he curls up next to me and tries to crawl into my skin. It's so sad. But I just turn the t.v. up, turn the a/c on and shut all the windows and wait till it's over. I don't think I would medicate him for the problem just because it doesn't happen everyday.