PDA

View Full Version : Bored? Send a message in a bottle!

Jessika
09-04-2006, 05:50 PM
http://www.oceangram.com

This site has been keeping me entertained for about a week or more now. Though I will admit it gets boring receiving messages that are all the same "Hello from Australia!" "what time and day is it where you are?" or "what is the weather like?" are the three most common messages I receive. So that aside though it can be a lot of fun!

Also if you aren't receiving messages as fast as you would like, you can open multiple tabs/windows (I have 5 open at a time) and check each frequently. :)

You know you are receiving a message when the lighthouse beams out to sea (you will know it when you see it!). Also there is an icon you can click under the lighthouse that will turn on a foghorn sound when you are receiving a message. Just make sure not to turn your speakers up too loud... because it is LOUD and if you forget about it it will scare you or your pets hehe

CatLuvrs
09-04-2006, 05:56 PM
This is too cool! Thanks for sharing it! :D

CagneyDog
09-04-2006, 06:06 PM
How do you open them once they get sent to the beach?

CatLuvrs
09-04-2006, 06:07 PM
How do you open them once they get sent to the beach?

LOL that was my next question! I can't seem to open it either! :confused:

beeniesmom
09-04-2006, 06:07 PM
me niether

CagneyDog
09-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Oh, I figured it out. The messages wont open (according the to the site) unless you add the "www." after the http. :)

Jessika, perhaps you can edit the link on your post :)

CatLuvrs
09-04-2006, 06:15 PM
I got a message but couldn't open it so I did the www. and waiting to get one now! This is to neat! :D

Jessika
09-04-2006, 06:19 PM
wow I didn't even know that haha I edited the link, sorry guys!

CagneyDog
09-04-2006, 06:20 PM
No problem! Thanks for posting this, there are some great messages/discussions.

Jessika
09-04-2006, 06:22 PM
yeah but after awhile you keep getting the same "hi I'm blah from blahblah!" and "what's the weather like?" messages and it gets aggravating. :( But I just close those haha

beeniesmom
09-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Very neat!
I just got a message that started with:
Let's all add a brief paragraph and make up a story! Each person can twist the plot!

The_Duck
09-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Sweet! I havn't recieved any messags yet, but I just sent this one out....

Day 15: I've been on the island for just over two weeks now, but somehow it feels like a decade. Without the companionship of my fellow man, or even any signs of animal life, I feel I will soon go mad. There is no sound but for the gentle lull of the ocean... the wind whispering through the trees. I have seen no signs of rescue. No boat, nor plane has passed in the near vacinity since the landing of my raft. I am all alone. It is doubtful that this message will be recieved, as it seems I've managed to get myself lost in the middle of nowhere. On the other hand...I see a storm approaching. The clouds are dark and of massive proportions. No doubt nature has learned of my intrusion upon these barren shores and she will now unleash her fury upon me. Perhaps the fury of her winds will send this bottle adrift in an area where my story may be told. The storm is nearer now and I must seek shelter. To whomever may recieve this, may God bless you on this fateful day.

Almita
09-04-2006, 08:12 PM
I got a random one it says I love concerts woo i got a red message.... haha

momoffuzzyfaces
09-04-2006, 09:02 PM
:D I was just checking out the site when a bottle came floating up. Of course I read it and sent a reply back into the ocean. I think this can get adictive!!!

Thanks!!! :D

rg_girlca
09-04-2006, 09:03 PM
This is so cool.

I received a message and clicked on the bottle when it got close to the shore. The bottle landed on the shore and the cork just kept shaking in the bottle but it never opened the message. :(
So I had to close down and start new again.

Oh how cute. I just received a message from a little 5 year girl from Wisconsin and she had about 6 messages from other people.

Oh gotta go. Here comes another one.

BC_MoM
09-04-2006, 09:10 PM
That's super cool. I could do this all day! :D

rg_girlca
09-04-2006, 09:14 PM
LOL!!!!!!

I just received this message;
"I have just won a very large amount of money in Las Vegas, Nevada. If I can share some of it with you, I sure will. Just let me know."

What are some of the messages that others have received? :)

Jessika
09-04-2006, 09:21 PM
What are some of the messages that others have received? :)
I had an interesting one my first day about how they had to pee after being stranded on their island for so long, so they had to use the bottle to pee in. And I replied back saying something like "Oh, so the paper isn't aged yellow then??" haha

Almita
09-04-2006, 09:22 PM
I had an interesting one my first day about how they had to pee after being stranded on their island for so long, so they had to use the bottle to pee in. And I replied back saying something like "Oh, so the paper isn't aged yellow then??" haha

hahaha! I get that good one

The_Duck
09-04-2006, 09:31 PM
lol, Jessika, that's great!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-05-2006, 04:20 AM
Just sent my first one! this is brilliant!

dragonfly
09-05-2006, 05:35 AM
I just tried it, it's fun. I got my first bottle, it had a list of the places where it had been recieved.

Killearn Kitties
09-05-2006, 05:59 AM
Thanks a bundle - another timewaster. :D :D

I've just had a message which has been all over the place, Tokyo, Australia, England, and several States. It was a discussion of what people were having for lunch. Now I'm hungry too! :p

momoffuzzyfaces
09-05-2006, 11:30 AM
I love that site. I'm hooked like a bottle in a net!!!

I love how you can turn the ocean sound on! It's the closest I'll ever get to seeing it!!! :D

dukedogsmom
09-05-2006, 11:32 AM
This sounds like so much fun! If my computer can be fixed, I'll try it soon. Don't think I should do this at work as it uses you IP, right? Looks like you've been having lots of fun.

Randi
09-05-2006, 11:48 AM
I just had to try it too. Neat! :D

sirrahbed
09-05-2006, 04:12 PM
I tried it and find it cute and clever. I added it to my "FUN" foledr along with dollmaker, bubblewrap popper and pumpkin simulator, etc ;)

Zippy
09-05-2006, 04:47 PM
that is a fun site

dukedogsmom
09-05-2006, 06:30 PM
I just sent one. Now I'm waiting to get one. This is really cool!

Vette
09-05-2006, 07:45 PM
My friend PJ gave me that link a while back.. i forgot how much fun it is.
i sent off Coldplay lyrics to someone who ended up being a Snow Patrol fan. LOL

dukedogsmom
09-05-2006, 08:07 PM
There's no way to keep that foghorn quiet. I had to turn it off at work. I got one that had been to China and the Uk then down to NC. What fun.

Almita
09-05-2006, 08:17 PM
haha it took a whole minute for the screw to unscrew :p

Jessika
09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
This sounds like so much fun! If my computer can be fixed, I'll try it soon. Don't think I should do this at work as it uses you IP, right? Looks like you've been having lots of fun.
Well everything online uses your IP, every site you visit. If you mean it tracks you, the site does not track at all (I think it is a feature they may add later but the messages are not tracked as of right now).

And to keep the foghorn quiet I found I had to turn the sound down verrrrrrrrry low (one notch above off!) and that is still loud (you can't hear music playing) but you can still hear it hehe

Anyway I am glad so many of you are enjoying this site!!

momoffuzzyfaces
09-06-2006, 04:01 PM
haha it took a whole minute for the screw to unscrew :p
Some of mine seem to take forever to open up too. I'm like hurry up already!!! I'm in a hurry to see what's on it! heehee :D

Suki Wingy
09-06-2006, 05:01 PM
this looks so cool! I sent one that said Ch. Buffrey Jobe... :D :p I haven't gotten any yet.

Flatcoatluver
09-06-2006, 05:12 PM
:( I just recieved one about the steave Irwin.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-06-2006, 05:42 PM
:( I just recieved one about the steave Irwin.
Yes, I've received several of those!

Question: how do you open the ocean site in more than one window at a time? :confused:

Flatcoatluver
09-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Yes, I've received several of those!

Question: how do you open the ocean site in more than one window at a time? :confused:
Just click the link a couple times. I recieved so many after I did that.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks! I have two running minimized now. I turned the foghorn on so when one comes in, I can check it. I had three running but was going crazy when they all had the foghorns going off at one time! :D

dukedogsmom
09-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Can we say addiction? You know you've got it bad when you've got more than one window open with it. That's funny. I got a funny story tonight.

There was a girl sitting by a lamppost. It went from there saying she would go out drinking and come home, not saying where she'd been. She wanted to be a Vegas showgirl but she had to lose 42 more pounds. Jenny Craig wasn't accepting any more people.

I added that as a last resort, she called Richard Simmons. I said "Man, she really must want to lose that weight."

What fun!

dukedogsmom
09-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Here's a poem I just got:
FOREVER

The oceans may run dry with drought,
The sky may lose it’s blue.
But the one thing that will never end,
Is my undying love for you.

Stone walls erected may soon crumble,
And clothes will rip and tear.
But the one thing that will never happen,
Is that I will cease to care.

In shallow waters it seamed I lived,
My companions were pain and strife.
My mother may have birthed me,
But your love gave me my life.

My body lays in waiting,
My soul is filled with bliss.
With memories of me and you,
I hunger for your kiss.

Pain and suffering means nothing,
When I’m with you they are but lies.
Your gentle touch. Your softest breath,
As I look into your eyes.

Being in your presence,
strips every form of my control.
Your smile warms my very heart,
Your touch my very soul.

And when I die and go to heaven,
When death replaces birth.
I’ll recognize the angels faces,
For I loved one here on earth.

ComedyDevil
09-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Anybody waiting for messages at the moment? I just sent a bunch out :)

Flatcoatluver
09-07-2006, 10:44 AM
I love this! Some of the msgs I get are really random though!

BC_MoM
09-07-2006, 12:08 PM
I knew this would come in handy! I'm at school right now, bored out of my mind.

BC_MoM
09-07-2006, 12:09 PM
There's no way to keep that foghorn quiet.

The foghorn never works for me.. even at home, I can't hear it. I'm not even going to try here at school, though. lol :p

Anita Cholaine
09-07-2006, 12:26 PM
All the messages I got so far were totally random, but anyways, I have to admit this site is quite addictive!

The foghorn never works for me.. even at home, I can't hear it. I'm not even going to try here at school, though. lol

Same here! I'm glad it doesn't work, though. Anita absolutely hates the sound of horns :p

momoffuzzyfaces
09-07-2006, 12:31 PM
The foghorn never works for me.. even at home, I can't hear it. I'm not even going to try here at school, though. lol :p
You have to click on the little horn in the sand by the lighthouse twice. Once to highlight it, the second time to turn it on. Same thing with the ocean sounds only you click the cork in the sand. Good luck!

Pembroke_Corgi
09-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Yay!!! This is fun. :D Thanks for the cool site.

dukedogsmom
09-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Wow. That was beautiful.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-07-2006, 04:36 PM
That is beautiful.
I've had several that had sweet thoughts on them and some jerk always has to make fun or make rude remarks. Too bad we can't delete the rude remarks off the nice messages.

By the way, what does BBOT mean? I see it a lot!

dukedogsmom
09-07-2006, 07:18 PM
I don't know what BBOT means. What is all this bubhub talk? What is bubhub? Does anyone know?

AbbyMom
09-07-2006, 09:14 PM
I found out what BBOT means by searching their forum. BBOT = Big Brother Off Topic. Here is what it said:

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 06:32 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a London TV station's site. They have a forum on the show Big Brother. The forum has several other areas for folks to talk about whatever pops up.

BBOT:
http://community.channel4.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/1560040854

They linked to Oceangram here: http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/T/thisisaknife/index_ungeo.jsp

Jessika
09-07-2006, 09:53 PM
You have to click on the little horn in the sand by the lighthouse twice. Once to highlight it, the second time to turn it on. Same thing with the ocean sounds only you click the cork in the sand. Good luck!
I only ever have to click it once lol

BC_MoM
09-07-2006, 10:01 PM
I only ever have to click it once lol

Yeah, same here. Can't wait to hear that horn! ;)

Just got: "Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away."

Jessika
09-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Yeah, same here. Can't wait to hear that horn! ;)

Just got: "Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away."
That one is BEAUTIFUL. I am saving that!

AbbyMom
09-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Received in a bottle tonight:

A drunk was proudly showing off his new apartment to a couple of his friends late one night, and led the way to his bedroom where there was a big brass gong. One of the guests asked, "What's that big brass gong?"

"It's not a gong. It's a talking clock," the drunk replied.

"A talking clock? Seriously?" asked his astonished friend.

"Yep," replied the drunk. "How's it work?" the friend asked, squinting at it. "Watch," the drunk replied. He picked up the mallet, gave it an ear-shattering pound, and stepped back. The three stood looking at one another for a moment. Suddenly, someone on the other side of the wall screamed, "You moron, it's ten past three in the morning!

:D

dukedogsmom
09-08-2006, 09:26 PM
That's so funny! I haven't done one yet tonight. But because it's so addictive, I will have to now.

Miss Z
09-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Wow, that is really great!. I've had so many messages that say :'Hey, who likes Big Brother?' or 'Do you think it was good that Pete won Big Brother?' Agh, enough with Big Brother already! :p

momoffuzzyfaces
09-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Wow, that is really great!. I've had so many messages that say :'Hey, who likes Big Brother?' or 'Do you think it was good that Pete won Big Brother?' Agh, enough with Big Brother already! :p
LOL!!! Specially when the Big Brother here in the states has a different cast. No Pete at all!!! :D

The season finale will be on Tuesday. I guess I'll have to start sending messages about our Big Bro program in the bottles! ;) :D

rg_girlca
09-09-2006, 08:11 PM
OMG I don't believe this. I actually got back a message that I sent out the other day. What are the odds of that happening.

Here is a copy of it.

Hi there;

My name is Lorraine and I live in Montreal, Quebec in Canada.
I have 2 sons, 6 cats and 1 dog.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Take care.
---
HI
I live in Victoria Australia, I have 1 son, 2 daughters and 2 cats.
---
hi we are 2 friend from brisbane - we have 9 kids 3 dogs 3 kats inumerable fish and we drink like them - wouldn't u??
---

Jessika
09-10-2006, 06:30 PM
I have yet to receive any of my messages back, or even the same message twice hehe

AbbyMom
09-10-2006, 09:23 PM
I have yet to receive any of my messages back, or even the same message twice hehe
I haven't either. Also, have you noticed that there are almost no profane or vulgar messages? I've only got one with a obscenity in it. I guess it's easy to hit discard. :D

Plus--I've not seen a message over three weeks old... :confused:

momoffuzzyfaces
09-11-2006, 05:01 PM
I've had two that I discarded. One was someone saying they wanted to eat chocolate of certain parts of a man. The other was talking about certain parts of women. No place for that kind of smut anywhere in my opinion!!!