PDA

View Full Version : Reaching out.....

Reachoutrescue
09-04-2006, 01:10 PM
As you all know, Reach Out Rescue, NFP pulled 12 kittens from Olney, Illinois about three weeks ago. We have been dealing with many health issues on the 11 we have left at our rescue. Several have URIs, several have eye infections, and a few have ring worm. I fear the ring worm may have spread to a couple other cats...but they are being treated as well.

Well, the point of this thread is to ask the public for help. We are very low on funds and we are in need of supplies, such as ear wash, miconazole (antifungis cream), and Pyoben (medicated shampoo for cats). We are in need of litter and food as well. We normally would not ask for such items or donations, but we are strapped. Between the vet bills, the money for the meds, and our other priorities....we do not know what to do. I know some of you are unable to help....and I totally understand. If you could spread the word of our rescue and or needs, that is helping just as much. For those that have already helped, thank you....we so appreciate you generousity.

Just an update on the Olney Kittens. Four kittens are being altered and vaccinated on September 17th. More will follow that appointment. I will keep you all posted. Thank you again. The kits appreciate it.

rg_girlca
09-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Gee I wish I lived close to you Tracy, so I would be able to help foster some of the kitties for you to take some of the financial burden off of you. :(

Have you tried having some kind of fund raiser to help with the cause?

doolittleky
09-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Tracy, I have some ear wash I could send you. Pm me your mailing address.
Melissa

catmandu
09-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Thats such great news.
We are praying even harder for those Little Ones.

Reachoutrescue
09-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Gee I wish I lived close to you Tracy, so I would be able to help foster some of the kitties for you to take some of the financial burden off of you. :(

Have you tried having some kind of fund raiser to help with the cause?

I don't even know where to begin. I am still waiting for my Not For Profit paperwork to go through. Any suggestions till then?

Lizzie
09-04-2006, 09:16 PM
You could try some of the things posted to Jen's thread on her rescue being broke: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=110087&highlight=rescue+broke

But perhaps you were already on PT then and contributed to it, I can't remember - if so, sorry.

You have one company advertising on your web site, can you get more? Would local companies help you if you advertised for them? I know, a great deal more work for you.

rg_girlca
09-04-2006, 09:34 PM
How about asking your family and friends to help out with a garage sale.
Make up posters of your rescue organization along with some pictures of your rescues and mention that all proceeds will be put toward their vet care.

Sorry, that's the only thing that I can think of at the moment.

Reachoutrescue
09-04-2006, 09:36 PM
You could try some of the things posted to Jen's thread on her rescue being broke: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=110087&highlight=rescue+broke

But perhaps you were already on PT then and contributed to it, I can't remember - if so, sorry.

You have one company advertising on your web site, can you get more? Would local companies help you if you advertised for them? I know, a great deal more work for you.

Thank you Lizzie. Can I do that stuff with out our NFP paperwork? Gosh, you think with such good intensions we have that more people would want to help us. This is why I like animals better!! :D

How about asking your family and friends to help out with a garage sale.
Make up posters of your rescue organization along with some pictures of your rescues and mention that all proceeds will be put toward their vet care.

Sorry, that's the only thing that I can think of at the moment.

That is actually a great idea. My friends and family may not join in, but I am sure I have stuff to get rid of. The only thing is that in Hometown, they do not allow garage or yard sales...so I will ask someone I know to use their property. Thanks!!

kt_luvs_kitties
09-04-2006, 11:42 PM
I also have a new bottle of vet medicated ear flush, and I might have some capstar tablets (for fleas) and some anti fungal cream for ringworm. I worked at a vet and have a ton of supplies that I could help with. if you want I can call you and list off some of my stuff,and see if you can use it. Let me know, Katie

I also have several eye creams and syringes and all kinds of stuff:)

Reachoutrescue
09-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Katie, I just pmed you. Thank you for your help everybody!

doolittleky
09-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Tracy,

I thought of a possible fundraising idea but I don't know if it would work or not. Do you buy or sell on EBAY? I thought maybe you can sell stuff on there saying the profits go to your rescue. I thought maybe if anyone here had an item( preferably an animal related item but doesn't have to be) then they could donate the item to you to sell on ebay to make some extra money. I know I have bought stuff from animal ersuce places on Ebay before. I know it is more work but maybe an idea.
Melissa

doolittleky
09-05-2006, 04:15 PM
here is a link to some ideas. I don't know if this will help of not.
http://www.fundraising-ideas.org/orgs/animalwelfare.htm

doolittleky
09-05-2006, 04:18 PM
here is another link form the Doris day Foundation
http://www.ddaf.org/spayday/plan/fundraising/

jazzcat
09-05-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm so sorry you have so much on you right now. I think the ebay idea sounds like a good one if you have the time for something like that.

I really wish I could help you more.

Reachoutrescue
09-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Tracy,

I thought of a possible fundraising idea but I don't know if it would work or not. Do you buy or sell on EBAY? I thought maybe you can sell stuff on there saying the profits go to your rescue. I thought maybe if anyone here had an item( preferably an animal related item but doesn't have to be) then they could donate the item to you to sell on ebay to make some extra money. I know I have bought stuff from animal ersuce places on Ebay before. I know it is more work but maybe an idea.
Melissa

That is a great idea...the ebay thing. I will post a thread about it. It seems that alot of people do not read my threads....maybe it is my titles!! :p I will look around the house tomorrow after work to find somethings that I may be able to sell on ebay. Thank you for the links. I am going to look at them tonight. Thank you for the advice Melissa! I so so so appreciate it.

I'm so sorry you have so much on you right now. I think the ebay idea sounds like a good one if you have the time for something like that.

I really wish I could help you more.
I know you wish you could. I understand things are rough everywhere. If you could just spread the word of our rescue, what we do, and what we are in need of...that is more help than I can ask for!! Thank you!

QueenScoopalot
09-05-2006, 10:14 PM
I've been starting (slowly) to sell stuff on Ebay, and having great luck so far! I'm on my own as far as rescuing, funding etc. goes, but have inherited, and accumulated a lot of collectable, (and then some) stuff that I've been posting. I sold 2 Japanese cat figurines yesterday that I paid $1.00 for the small one, and the other came from my mom who passed away. Not anything that goes with my taste in decorating, and wouldn't have lasted long here with all the cats anyway *crash=goodbye* so I put them on ebay and got $78..+++!!! And then turned around and bidded on catfood coupons lol! :rolleyes: So the way I look at it, I'm ahead as far as feeding the multiple rescued (often a few litters a week) cats & kittens here. ;) I'm planning on putting a lot more stuff on as I become more proficient at it. Yard sales are also a great idea, but time consuming and you often end up with a lot of donated stuff you need to get rid of. Maybe a "Fill-a-Bag" for $5.00, with more expensive items sold at what they're worth? :confused:

Reachoutrescue
09-05-2006, 10:26 PM
I've been starting (slowly) to sell stuff on Ebay, and having great luck so far! I'm on my own as far as rescuing, funding etc. goes, but have inherited, and accumulated a lot of collectable, (and then some) stuff that I've been posting. I sold 2 Japanese cat figurines yesterday that I paid $1.00 for the small one, and the other came from my mom who passed away. Not anything that goes with my taste in decorating, and wouldn't have lasted long here with all the cats anyway *crash=goodbye* so I put them on ebay and got $78..+++!!! And then turned around and bidded on catfood coupons lol! :rolleyes: So the way I look at it, I'm ahead as far as feeding the multiple rescued (often a few litters a week) cats & kittens here. ;) I'm planning on putting a lot more stuff on as I become more proficient at it. Yard sales are also a great idea, but time consuming and you often end up with a lot of donated stuff you need to get rid of. Maybe a "Fill-a-Bag" for $5.00, with more expensive items sold at what they're worth? :confused:

Thanks for the ideas. I would love a yard sale, but between work, the boys, and our recue kits...I really have to squeeze that in. I think I may go through some things here to have a yard sale. I am going to post some things on Ebay as well. Thank you agian.

Lizzie
09-06-2006, 11:14 AM
In regard to selling on e-bay, do a search on PT and you will find a thread that was on Pets General earlier this year in which some very experienced e-bayers gave input. I'd post a link but my boss is yelling for me.

Reachoutrescue
09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
In regard to selling on e-bay, do a search on PT and you will find a thread that was on Pets General earlier this year in which some very experienced e-bayers gave input. I'd post a link but my boss is yelling for me.

Oh, Lizzie....tell your boss I said to be nice to you!! Thanks for the advice my friend!! :)

doolittleky
09-06-2006, 01:05 PM
I will try and find something to donate to you this weekend. If everyone here donated just one item it would help out alot.
melissa

Reachoutrescue
09-06-2006, 01:11 PM
I will try and find something to donate to you this weekend. If everyone here donated just one item it would help out alot.
melissa

I hope this works. I am also getting items together such as toys and clothes no longer needed of the boys. I am going to talk to the boys' grandma and see if I can have yard sale there. I will advertise in the paper stating all proceeds go to Reach Out Rescue, NFP. Thanks again Melissa and everybody else.

QueenScoopalot
09-07-2006, 10:54 AM
So far I've done very well selling stuff on ebay, and on 4 items, (one left that's up to $10.50, and 1 day left) I raked in $385.64! A few of my rescues are in dire need of dentistry so I need to list more stuff to afford to get them done. My total cost of the stuff sold was $2.09...so I'm over the moon! :)

kimlovescats
09-07-2006, 12:42 PM
The best advice I can offer for e-bay selling is to make sure you charge enough for shipping on each item!!! I have ended up losing money on my stuff by undercharging for their shipping! :rolleyes:

Reachoutrescue
09-07-2006, 03:59 PM
The best advice I can offer for e-bay selling is to make sure you charge enough for shipping on each item!!! I have ended up losing money on my stuff by undercharging for their shipping! :rolleyes:

Thank you. I just do that thing where it says to calculate the shipping. I hope people want my junk!! LOL!

critters
09-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Have you tried Cats in Crisis? http://catsincrisis.org/

Reachoutrescue
09-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Have you tried Cats in Crisis? http://catsincrisis.org/

No...not yet. As I said earlier in the blog....we are waiting on our NFP paperwork. I am not sure what organizations are willing to help a rescue that has no proof of being a Not For Profit rescue...or even a rescue. I have my applications and contracts, vet paperwork, and my EIN number, but it is not NFP official yet. I will check out the link you posted though. Thank you. Please do not think I am ungrateful for you advice, I am very grateful. I am just getting frustrated is all. :confused:

critters
09-08-2006, 04:13 PM
You may not need 501(c)3 for CIC; they not only help 501(c)3 kitties but also kitties belonging to individuals.

Reachoutrescue
09-08-2006, 04:34 PM
You may not need 501(c)3 for CIC; they not only help 501(c)3 kitties but also kitties belonging to individuals.

Thank you. I am going to check it out right now....seriously, I am! I am so interested in it. You are great. Thank you again. :)