PDA

View Full Version : Leda (NYC rescue cat) EXCITING Update! 9-8-06

jenluckenbach
09-03-2006, 01:44 PM
She's here !!!

And she's beautiful!!!!!!!!!

Our day started out early......7 am. Got 3 blocks away from the house and I remembered that I FORGOT the carrier. :rolleyes:

The weather and the (lack of) traffic was PURR-fect!!! 2 hour drive. Wonderful.

Marge at the shelter was a lovely/welcoming person. Had the paperwork ready and waiting. Leda is brought to me. A couple of growls at the new faces (and dog looking at her) and not another peep ALLLLLL the way home.

When we got back home I took her out of the carrier. She curled up like you expect a shy cat to do, but you can tell IMMEDIATELY that she is a sweetheart. :) I placed her in my 3 story cage that I had a hiding box for her along with the usual food/water/litter.

Then we all left to go EAT!

Right now I am visiting my dad, giving Leda all the time she needs to scope out her new digs. Tonight I will invade her with the camera and give you further updates.

All in all the day only cost me $175 :eek: :eek: :eek: But of course, that includes the $75 adoption fee which Lizzie will be taking care of.

I love her already.

I'll tell you though, I am SOOOOOOO glad I had a driver who KNEW where she was going. I would have been lost at least twice with the directions I had (mapquest) as they were WRONG! :eek:

PICTURES ADDED BELOW>

Laura's Babies
09-03-2006, 01:48 PM
arms corssed, tapping foot..... WAITING FOR PICTURES!!

(sure hope it isn't a long wait!)

Catty1
09-03-2006, 01:49 PM
WELCOME HOME, LEDA!

You don't have to be scared ANY MORE - lots and lots of love awaits you! :)

Hugs and scritchies!

catmandu
09-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Jen, in Boston The Pets and Pet Angels have had a toast to you for all the good work that you have done in rescuing and fostering Cats.
Its no wonder you are OUR HERO.
My own Little Rescue, being picked up by the Vets Thursday
Doris Sunshine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/35ea7d66.jpg

Reachoutrescue
09-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Jen, in Boston The Pets and Pet Angels have had a toast to you for all the good work that you have done in rescuing and fostering Cats.
Its no wonder you are OUR HERO.
My own Little Rescue, being picked up by the Vets Thursday
Doris Sunshine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/35ea7d66.jpg

I am so honored that you named this kit Doris "Sunshine". That makes me feel good. I wish my lil' Sunshine got to know you...you both would've loved each other.

catnapper
09-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Wow, what a trip Jen... good thing you didn't have me along for the ride because you'd be in Hoboken New Jersey right now! :D

Can't wait to see the photos of this little girl. Paws crossed that she comes out of her new digs in search of grander locations (maybe under "Annie's chair"?)

You did a great thing today. *pats Jen on back*

kimlovescats
09-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Congratulations on a successful trip! Can't wait to see the pics! :)

momcat
09-03-2006, 02:54 PM
This is so great! Welcome home, Leda, and welcome to Pet Talk!!! :) I can't wait to see some pictures of you! Scritchies and tummy rubs sent just for you!

orangemm
09-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Good job, Jen!! And, welcome Leda!!! You are definitely in the right place. :)

Lizzie
09-03-2006, 05:47 PM
That's wonderful that she is rescued and on her way to losing her fear in your home. It must be an enormous relief for her to be away from the shelter noise, smells and general environment. I'm glad that she is as cute as Lucille made her sound and I, along with everyone else, am looking forward to the photos.

An additional $100!!! Is gas that much more expensive on the east coast? Remember to send me the email tonight that I need in order to pay you. I can never thank you enough for stepping in and doing this, we'd have been lost without you. I'm sorry that you didn't get to meet Lucille, I was looking forward to a description of her.

Time for more shampooing of cats, more piles of laundry, slathering of hand cream on the backs of my hands, and more cleaning. I'll check in later with a cuppa.

jenluckenbach
09-03-2006, 05:59 PM
An additional $100!!! Is gas that much more expensive on the east coast? Remember to send me the email tonight that I need in order to pay you. I can never thank you enough for stepping in and doing this, we'd have been lost without you. I'm sorry that you didn't get to meet Lucille, I was looking forward to a description of her.

No NO! Gas is not THAT expensive! I planned on giving my driver friend $40 for gas (a normal tankfull runs about $30) but there were TOLL roads! about $20 worth. Then I paid for the 3 of us to have lunch after Leda was settled in.......so of course that includes Charlie and my lunch. I don't expect reimbersment for that!

Now, as soon as I go feed my own crew I will be heading in to see Leda. Hang on for the next update.

jenluckenbach
09-03-2006, 06:37 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/Leda/Leda003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/Leda/Leda006.jpg

Laura's Babies
09-03-2006, 06:42 PM
WOW!! She looks lovely and that is your hand in there petting her? Looks like it is a winning situation for the both of you... She will be eating out of your hands in no time.

Lizzie
09-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Her coat gleams beautifully and her face is definitely full into the cream pot. She allowed you to fuss her under the chin and looked as though she liked it. Did she purr? Or just not hiss?

Ah, toll roads! I didn't think of that since I never have to deal with them. I can certainly add $60 for all that - remember that you are feeding, littering and caring for her. When do you expect to take her to the vet?

jenluckenbach
09-03-2006, 06:47 PM
YUP! That is my hand in there. :D :D No fuss at all, no hiss or growl, no pulling away. No purr YET! But it is just a matter of time.

I would like to get her in as soon as possible (after this stupid Monday holiday :rolleyes: ) Because IF she does have any type of bladder problem, we'd like to start treating her. AND I think a fecal would be a good idea, since it is something the shelter does not do.

Besides, I want to take her before I let her out with the other cats and I'd like to do THAT as soon as she is ready.

CatLuvrs
09-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Leda is so pretty! I just love seeing everyones cats! I need to take some more pics of Myles and Max! I haven't sent any for a while! :rolleyes:

catnapper
09-03-2006, 07:26 PM
What pretty markings on her. Poor girl has had such an experience! I know Jen will get her to purr before long.

Felicia's Mom
09-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Congrats on your new arrival Jen. :)

G535
09-03-2006, 08:22 PM
I've missed quite a bit here the last few days, you have a new cat for you or another foster? She looks like a lovely cat. :)

krazyaboutkatz
09-03-2006, 11:18 PM
She sure is beautiful. Welcome to PT Leda.:) When will she be going to live with Lizzie? I must have missed a few threads.:confused:

Sevaede
09-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Aww, good job Jen! :D

She's a beautiful cat. Looks just like my RB Tier! :(

CultureJunky
09-04-2006, 05:19 AM
Hello Leda, we hope to see lots more pictures of you here on Pet Talk, you're new meowmie is a wonderful cat person with so much patience and love to give you, make sure you lap it all up.
I'm looking forward to hearing more about your progress and seeing lots of nice piccies of you soon. ;)

jenluckenbach
09-04-2006, 06:53 AM
I wanted to show you Leda's accomondations. (see attached) She has stayed (to my knowledge) on the bottom tier so far, but she did eat some canned food and used her box to pee and poop. She is staying in the cardboard box I provided (I figured she would) and she watches everything that is going on around her.

I have her dry food and water on the 2nd tier as a space saver, but since I am not certain she has gone up there yet I added water to the canned food I offered her inside her hidey box.

Her eyes are so expressive. :D

Lizzie, I emailed you and will be waiting for a response so I know your account is working.

orangemm
09-04-2006, 07:11 AM
What a perfect place for her to get acclimated in her new home! That is a wonderful, safe hideaway.

Leda, honey, it will be all right. You are in the best place possible!

Lizzie
09-04-2006, 07:30 AM
She sure is beautiful. Welcome to PT Leda.:) When will she be going to live with Lizzie? I must have missed a few threads.:confused:

When I know that I've cleared ringworm from my home. It's not quite a week yet since I took in Cattulus to start treatment, so there are three weeks to go of constantly checking the others to see if they get it. If any of them get ringworm, then it's another four weeks from their infection date. My downstairs isolation room is being set up for Beans whom Melissa is picking up on Friday or Saturday and fostering until he can be trucked to me. Only when he has been moved to the no-more-ringworm-upstairs, can I take in Leda who will live with my downstairs cats. Then, of course, we have to hope the truckers can move her to me.

Barbara
09-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Leda is so sweet. And she has a purrfect little condo to get accustomed to your household :)

doolittleky
09-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Leda is beautiful! I am so happy she is out of the shelter and now she can start feeling safe.
Melissa

jenluckenbach
09-04-2006, 06:25 PM
This afternoon Leda ventured to the top of the 3 levels.

Here she is (same cowering position)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/Leda/Leda9-4-06.jpg

But notice how her head has perked up a little bit. This is right after I was petting her. Was she looking for more?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/Leda/Leda-9-4-06.jpg

catnapper
09-04-2006, 06:49 PM
You can tell just from the photos that she is a complete sweetheart!

Lizzie, we have an awesome older tuxie gent at the adoption shelter named Gus. I think Gus needs to come home with her ;) I'm sure we could arrange a separate carrier to get on the back of the car taking Lena home :D

jenluckenbach
09-04-2006, 07:31 PM
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/liebe/love-smiley-075.gifhttp://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/029.gif http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/663.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/mittelgrosse/medium-smiley-147.gif

What a sweetie! Tonight, I pet her head and chin again and she started to roll over. Slowly, a tiny bit at a time, but She went all the way to a belly rub!

She headbutted into my hand and wrist.....HARD, too!!!

She ate some more food, but wanted to lick it off my fingers. And I had to stay with her or she'd stop eating.

She is totally melting my heart. GREAT call Lizzie!!!!! She did NOT deserve to die.

Catty1
09-04-2006, 07:34 PM
OMG! I hope you tell the people at the shelter, and Lucille! They'll ALL have LES at the story of that hard head - butt! My eyes are stinging too!

What a HAPPY time for this (formerly) terrified girl!

Welcome home, Leda! :)

kimlovescats
09-04-2006, 07:38 PM
What a sweet, sweet girl! It certainly sounds like she is thrilled to be loved and cared for, and she knows that she is now SAFE! CONGRATS!!!! :D

Lizzie
09-04-2006, 08:53 PM
A belly rub so soon, that is very good news. She must have felt abandoned and defenceless (since clawless) at the shelter and that is why she appeared a bit wild. I can imagine the atmosphere in your home making her feel more and more relaxed and trusting.

Well, her response to you rather changes the way I need to look at her. I'd thought that since she appeared to be a social feral with litter box issues, she would fit right in with my downstairs cats. But she's really a lap cat who has been treated badly and she'd appreciate a home where she gets lots of attention. Let's hope that the litter box issues are either from sore paws and wrong litter, which is the direction my thoughts have lain, or UTI which is the way you are thinking. That way, she is adoptable, and that is better for her than staying in my home as long as I choose well. Don't worry, I would adopt her through my vet's office and be super careful in my screening.

jenluckenbach
09-05-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't believe Leda was ever feral.....she KNEW what a cat toy was. I have a teaser wand with tinsel on it and I was playing with the other fosters right outside her cage. She watched with intent. Then I teased her with it and she played! Shyly, but still, in my own experience, the ferals (and long term strays) are more frightened of a toy, worried that it is something that will hurt them.

And she prefers to be hand fed. :rolleyes: Not eating a whole lot yet, so I do whatever she wants to get the food into her, and if that is hand feeding.......so be it!

Lizzie
09-05-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't believe Leda was ever feral.....she KNEW what a cat toy was. I have a teaser wand with tinsel on it and I was playing with the other fosters right outside her cage. She watched with intent. Then I teased her with it and she played! Shyly, but still, in my own experience, the ferals (and long term strays) are more frightened of a toy, worried that it is something that will hurt them.

And she prefers to be hand fed. :rolleyes: Not eating a whole lot yet, so I do whatever she wants to get the food into her, and if that is hand feeding.......so be it!

Hand-feeding! What a little princess. She is very lucky that you are ready to pander to her needs. I wonder how much she ate at the shelter? Barely enough to stay alive, probably.

Yes, cat toys are very defining, aren't they. I always know that a feral adult has truly turned the corner when they jump onto a teaser toy, though it can take years to see that change. I keep thinking of how much more relaxed and happy she must be feeling now she is away from the shelter and in your welcoming home. What do your fosters think of her so far?

jenluckenbach
09-05-2006, 02:28 PM
The fosters couldn't care less. They don't even bother to look at her in her cage. Once she is out, they'll only care if she tries to get TOO friendly. (LOL)

orangemm
09-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Guess they figure (yawn) "just another one she brought home". ;)

jazzcat
09-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Wow, a lot happened this weekend didn't it Jen? I think it's great you are doing this for Leda and Lizzie. She's very pretty and sounds like she just needed someone who understands her.

jenluckenbach
09-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Well, her response to you rather changes the way I need to look at her. I'd thought that since she appeared to be a social feral with litter box issues, she would fit right in with my downstairs cats. But she's really a lap cat who has been treated badly and she'd appreciate a home where she gets lots of attention. ...... she is adoptable, and that is better for her than staying in my home as long as I choose well.
If you are continuing this thinking I can always place her on One by One's petfinder website. She can be adopted through us even before she travels all the way to Washington. Now mind you, people might not bust the door down in search of a shy 3 year old cat, but you never know. What do you think about this idea? (now of course, I won't post her at least until she comes out of her cage so I know how to describe her to potentials.)

jenluckenbach
09-06-2006, 07:04 PM
This evening she PURRED! And she washed her face. (A sign of feeling comfortable)

Now she has to start eating more than she has been. nce I know she is eating properly, I will give her the option to come out of the cage.

You don't know just how glad I am that WE saved her. :D

Catty1
09-06-2006, 07:09 PM
OMG! PURRING!

That is SOOO great, Jen!

Give her a tummy rub for me, ok??? :D

momcat
09-07-2006, 06:07 PM
You don't know just how glad I am that WE saved her. :D

So are we, Jen, so are we :) :) :) :) :)

Russian Blue
09-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Leda, honey, it will be all right. You are in the best place possible!

Ditto!

Congrats Jen on bringing her home!

Lizzie
09-07-2006, 08:40 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I want daily updates because I'm sure she will improve every day.

rg_girlca
09-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Jen, I had no doubt that you could turn this poor scared girl around. You certainly have a knack for that. :D

Leda sure is one lovely girl and I just love her condo.

jazzcat
09-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Sounds like she is doing great. :)

jenluckenbach
09-08-2006, 05:14 AM
I don't know about everyone else, but I want daily updates because I'm sure she will improve every day.
And so right you are.

Last night she came from her top shelf to her middle shelf to great me. :D :D HOW THRILLING!!!!!!!!!!!

But she is still only eating a minimal amount. :(

She is using the litter box, and there was a poop yesterday so SOMETHING must have been in her. ;)

I really look forward to our encounters (at least twice a day)

jenluckenbach
09-08-2006, 06:14 AM
Leda came out of her cage on her own! :D :D

She slowly, cautiously explored the room. (hissed and growled at all the cats :rolleyes: )

She always came back to me :) She rubbed on my back and leg as I sat on the floor.

I placed her back in the cage for the day, while I am at work, because I am still monitoring her food intake. But tonight should be a great photo opportunity!

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-08-2006, 06:46 AM
How in the world did I miss this thread??? :o :o :o

Oh Jen, Leda is such a lucky cat, you are the best thing that could happen to her!! Is it your intention to keep her?? I know I would never be able to let her go.... :)

jenluckenbach
09-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Tonight we had a little sadder news, tonight I found pee on the floor of Leda's cage. BUT it was directly aside of the box! So she may well have had her body IN the box but her butt end over the side. :confused: What needs to happen is for me to watch her, and right now she isn't doing a whole lot while I am watching. But, if she wanted to just pee any old where, she could have done it on the floor on the other side of the cage, so.....there is hope.

The litter boxes outside the cage (in the room) are all either covered or higher sides. this should prevent this type of accident if that is what really occurred.

She did not come out tonight, like she had this morning, but that's OK. She ate some. So far I think she is only eating the canned food I am offering her. I can't wait until I can trust her to eat ENOUGH, so she can stay out of her cage if that is what she wishes.

kimlovescats
09-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Way to go, Jen and Leda! Just a matter of days and she will be walking around like it's no big deal! :D

K & L
09-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Boy I have some catching up to do. I'm just now reading this thread and glad to see there is progress! Good work Jen.

jenluckenbach
09-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Todays update.

This morning she came right out of the cage again, like yesterday.
She walks all around (kind of slinking close to the ground yet).

But she always came back to me. And she rubs all along my leg.

I can lift her up to put her back in, without any squirming or fussing.

Now tonight, she did NOT come out. :rolleyes: Just like last night. When I have the MOST time, she is the most stubborn. :p But she thoroghly enjoyed our petting session. She even reaches her front paw to grab your arm when you try to stop.

Lizzie, if you seriously want to put her up for adoption, (vs. keeping her for yourself) I ...... and all you other pet talkers ....... can start looking right now. She IS adoptable!

I'll be watching her closely for signs of inappropriate peeing.

Lizzie
09-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Jen - for me it's always been a case of, I will take her if she is unadoptable. I knew/know that she would be happy enough with my downstairs social-ferals and/or behavior problem cats, but I also know she won't get the frequent attention of my upstairs cats. If she is adoptable, and she craves attention, then she should be adopted to someone else.

With Catullus' brother just showing signs of ringworm, it won't be possible for me to take her for another month probably, if she needs to come to me. I think, as you say, you will have the task of monitoring her litter box behavior and taking her to the vet for a urinalysis. I have the name of your vet, and you've already said you will put her on One-by-One status so you get their discount, and I can just call and charge it. You have taken on all the care responsibilities so I want to continue to do my part. If her behavior is a problem, she can still come to me. Between us, we can assure her of a decent future at the very least.

jenluckenbach
09-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Terrific! We make quite a team. :D

That baby WILL have a happy life!!!

Lizzie
09-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Terrific! We make quite a team. :D

That baby WILL have a happy life!!!

Be careful what you say or Melissa will be posting more hard-luck stories for us to work on together.

jenluckenbach
09-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Be careful what you say or Melissa will be posting more hard-luck stories for us to work on together.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

jenluckenbach
09-10-2006, 08:12 AM
New photo thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1606643#post1606643)

doolittleky
09-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Ok Let's go TEAM!!!!!! I can start looking anytime you are ready! Just kidding. I really need to ban myself from Petfinder, i get myself and looks like everyone else into trouble by doing it! :rolleyes:
Melissa