PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed..2-3 week old kittens

areias
09-03-2006, 01:16 AM
Yet more strays working their way into my life. So today at work, it's about closing time, and I see the receptionist running down the hall and calling for me. She wouldn't tell me what was going on...and then she handed me a box of four, three week old kittens. A guy had brought them in, as he had found them under a car that he had parked for two months, and was going to animal services to have them euthanized unless someone could take them. :eek: So, me being me, I now have a nursery in my bathroom. Three of them are doing well, the fourth I think might need fluids if it isn't doing better eating by tomorrow. Two are eating from a bottle, one from a syringe, and the fourth dosen't care for eating too much, although I'm trying to get in there and give it a tiny bit of the milk replacer every hour or so. However...I do have a leukemia positive cat in my house (she's never gone in the bathroom, I keep the door shut at all times anyways) and I walked them in with a towel over the box, so the kittens should be fine, but obviously none of them can stay, or for very long either.

So my question is, does anyone have any contacts in the Tampa area that would be willing to take these little balls of fur? I called a couple rescues, but most everyone is full. :( If I can't find a rescue, my next option is the humane society (is no-kill, but it's not my best preference) or to keep them in my bathroom until they are big enough to find homes. The last option is not very practical, as the longer they are here I am afraid they will be exposed to the leukemia, and very often it is difficult to find cats a good home. I also work 8-10 hour shifts, so they wouldn't be fed during that time and I would rather not bring them to work and expose them to anything. Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated. Here are some pics of them. The white one is the one thats not doing all that great, and the black one didn't take very good pictures.

http://areias.zoto.com/img/45/b97b2d81d5fd2c18038523a253986a34-.jpg
Close up of the stripey one
http://areias.zoto.com/img/45/c91df3230de0f5d3d36ec3bf9bb34059-.jpg
Close up of 'whitey'
http://areias.zoto.com/img/45/061e884097c94bb22091488e5fcf27d5-.jpg
http://areias.zoto.com/img/45/1b82706d0f5113079aca2cc79b02e74a-.jpg

Laura's Babies
09-03-2006, 09:08 AM
***bump****

can anyone help?

Catty1
09-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Keep bumping....it is a long weekend, and some folks that can help might be away!

They are TOO gorgeous...I hope the white baby makes it!

I didn't know leukemia was contagious! That IS worrying....

Mr Bluekittie, who you can PM in Cat Rescue, has contacts in Florida, I think. Might be worth a try.

HUGS

areias
09-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the replies, I actually just got a phone call while typing another response, and a rescue in brooksville is going to take them, they're leaving in about an hour. The white one is doing better today, eating a little bit, but I suspect it may still need some fluids or something. It also seems that the grey one has an upper respiratory infection or something, his eyes have some discharge, so hopefully he will be okay. I'm not too sure if they can give antibiotics to kittens that young?

Anyways, I'm going to miss the little buggers, but I'[m glad to see them going to where they will definately find good homes. :) It gives me a great feeling to see that animals like these, instead of being PTS, are taken in and given good homes.

moosmom
09-03-2006, 01:04 PM
FOR NEWBORN KITTENS

Go get KMR liquid (or powder) and some baby bottles at the pet store. Heat up a pin and puncture the nipple. Make sure formula is able to get through. They're usually in the same area. Feed these poor babies every 3 hours. Make sure the formula is at room temperature. Once they're done, you'll need to stimulate them to pee and poo. To do that, take a cotton ball and gently rub near their rectum. Do this until they either pee, poo or both.

Keep them in a box with a hot water bottle or heating pad (on low) covered with a towel. A wind up alarm clock will simulate the mother's heartbeat.

FOR OLDER KITTENS

Get a can of liquid KMR along with premium canned kitten food. Mix a half can of the food with some KMR till it's mushy. Put it in a saucer, take a bit of the mixture and put it on their tongue. Then guide them to the dish. It'll be messy but they'll be hungry, trust me.

A litterbox of clay litter is best, as kittens tend to groom their paws. Scoopable litter will cause a blockage in their digestive tract and can be fatal.

Make sure they have plenty of dry premium kitten kibble and give them the other mixture once or twice a day. Don't forget to give them water too.

Hope this helps. Any questions, call me. I'll PM you with my #.