PDA

View Full Version : So much for Greenies...LOL...(wee update)

Catty1
09-02-2006, 09:40 PM
I finally bought some Greenies today...I read that they work like a little toothbrush on the cat's teeth.

This works ONLY if the cats actually CHEW them, right?

Oscar was SO excited! I gave him one, he inhaled it. Tried a second one. Still full-speed down-the-hatch. Thought he might actually CHEW a third one...but nope. Same fate.

I think Cole might have munched his a BIT...

So...will pick up some of those LONG dental soy chews that even OSCAR can't inhale...

Sheesh..... :rolleyes:

kimlovescats
09-02-2006, 09:52 PM
LOL! Well, maybe their breath is fresh anyway! :D

RedHedd
09-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Hee hee .... mine tend to inhale too, although I do hear a few crunches :D

slick
09-02-2006, 10:32 PM
I finally broke down and bought some greenies for Max. I put one on the floor. He sniffed. He looked up at me. He sniffed again. He looked up at me again. He sniffed again. Finally he looked up and I could read his eyes like a book. "And just what do you expect me to do with this????? :confused: " Then he walked away..... :rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
09-02-2006, 11:44 PM
All of my furkids love them except that baby Ziggy still doesn't know what to do with them. I give them 6 pieces every night and if I forget then Pearl will howl and carry on until I get them out.:) Pearl and Starr tend to also inhale them but they must be working in some way because the vet asked me if I was brushing their teeth but I'm not.:)

jenluckenbach
09-03-2006, 04:29 AM
LOL, yes, they really should at least TOUCH the teeth. LOL :rolleyes:

Catty1
09-03-2006, 05:16 PM
OMG - I gave two Greenies to Oscar today, and actually heard CRUNCHING!

There is hope.....lol. I guess the novelty wore off!

catnapper
09-03-2006, 05:29 PM
My guys love the greenies but I can't afford them.

One thing the rescue found out rather quickly: don't give more than a few greenies at a time because a lot of cats are quick to puke them back up.

Catty1
09-03-2006, 05:39 PM
They can be pricy...but I know my boys have tartar on their teeth, and their annual exams are coming up soon. Trying to clean it up a bit to minimize surgery!

Oscar is the worst, because he was wild for a couple of years before I got him. The vet never mentioned his teeth a year ago - then a friend and I looked a few months ago...it's sure there! :(

I tried using the tiny toothbrush I bought as a toy for them...no go....

Crazy-Cat-Lover
09-03-2006, 05:46 PM
When I used to buy the Greenies Lil’Bits, I would throw them into the cat food tin and mix them with the kibble. That way, they would get some with every bite of food. I have bought the cat treats, but my kitties aren't big fans of those!

catnapper
09-03-2006, 06:38 PM
For tartar on their teeth, you can actually take your thumb nail and flick it off. Gross! But it definately works. I do it every so often to Allen.

Laura's Babies
09-03-2006, 06:39 PM
I bought tartar control Whisker Lickins, I hear crunching with everybody but Giz, she grabs it and swollows, then looks at me for more... Since I have been giving them those, Amy won't touch her Pounce treats... Silly Girls!

Catty1
09-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Catnapper - I would LOVE to do that with my babies! But I think it takes two people, one to hold and one to flick?

Can you post here or PM me with the how-to?

My friend's vet showed her how - do you just get your nail under the gumline?

If my nails are too soft...what else can I use?

Thanks!

catnapper
09-03-2006, 07:25 PM
My nails are soft, so I use a nail manicure tool. Works like a charm. Just a little flick. I used to be terrified of hurting him by flicking too hard or deep, but I realized my tension would make matters worse so I relaxed and just did it.

I actually lay on top of Allen when I do it, and only do one side of his mouth at a time. My vet showed me how too. I couldn't possibly explain how I do it.

Allen's pretty easy ging so its not terribly bad, but he does run and hide from me for a few days afterwards :rolleyes:

catmandu
09-03-2006, 07:42 PM
The Meezers either love or hate Greenies.
The Older Cats want thier Temptations, but the Kitten Trio absolutley the Greenies a lot.
I just wish that they were not so expensive about 7 dollars a pack in Catada.

Catty1
09-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Gary - $7.00??? OMG

I paid about $3.49 at Safeway! Or was that $4.39? :rolleyes: But STILL...

Do you have any friends in Barrie? See if Herbie's Drug Warehouse carries them, and get them shipped down!

krazyaboutkatz
09-03-2006, 11:02 PM
If I buy them at Petsmart they're about $4.99 for the large package but if I buy them at Pet Club,which is similar to a Costco except for pets,then it only costs me $2.99 per large package. I try to stock up and buy at least 6-8 larges packages at a time.:)

Catty1
09-03-2006, 11:04 PM
I don't think we have Pet Club in Canada....darn....