PDA

View Full Version : My Bella is a Killer :(

Pam
09-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Last night after dinner we spied Bella in the back part of the back yard and she seemed to be tugging at something. My son walked down to see what she was doing. It was windy and pouring rain as Ernesto had just arrived. He yelled up to us that she had a bird and that it looked freshly killed. :eek: He ordered her to get up to the house and she trotted happily in front of him to the back door. When she got to the door we had to figure out how to get her to drop it and so we used the old *offer her a doggie treat* trick. Well it worked. She dropped it and my son was able to dispose of the bird.

These birds are very large and beautiful and are often in our yard. I am not sure what they are but they look like big huge gray doves. They are very trusting of us and let us get quite close before flying off. :( I was so sad to see this and have felt just awful ever since. Hubby reminded me that poodles originally worked as retrievers of fowl. Unfortunately I think she did more than retrieve this bird. :(

I took a couple of pictures of her (mug shots) and should probably post them in the Post Office so all of the world can see what a bad girl she was.

These were taken through the screen door, so please excuse the quality.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Belrip/DSCN0913.jpg

Here is her expression when told by my son to *Drop It!* You can see she is not planning to comply. :(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Belrip/DSCN0914.jpg

chocolatepuppy
09-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Oh my Bella! :eek: I hope your mommy has a good attorney to keep you out of doggy prision! ;) Pam,we have those same birds around here. They hang around on the ground and I'm hoping Lacey never gets one. She has came close to catching a few squirrels. :rolleyes:

BitsyNaceyDog
09-02-2006, 07:44 AM
It's a pigeon.
Miss. Bella, I would have expected you to be more lady like than to go out hunting in the rain.

Ginger's Mom
09-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Poor sweet Bella thought she was doing a good job by bringing home tomorrow's meal in the pouring rain. Look at the expression in that second picture, she has no idea that what she did may be considered wrong by some people. Yep, she definitely needs a light sentence for her indiscretion. How about, no baths for the next two weeks, that will teach her. :)

elizabethann
09-02-2006, 08:01 AM
Oh no....Bella! Because Fenway has killed many a critter (mice, rat and chipmunk) I can recommend a good lawyer.

I remember when he killed a rat & chipmunk. I felt sooooo awful. But I had to remember that was his instinct and if he were ever lost in the woods, I knew he could at least kill something to eat.

Take care Bella.

Rachel
09-02-2006, 08:17 AM
:eek: YIKES :eek: That's my reaction.

:D :D ;) :cool: and that is Hannah's.

I think there is a pigeon hunting season somewhere in the USA. If we find out where, I'm sure Bella would be in high demand and could earn top dollar.

Pam
09-02-2006, 08:20 AM
I just googled and think it was a Mourning Dove. Here is a picture of one in healthier condition. :(

http://content.ornith.cornell.edu/UEWebApp/images/MJH_071002_00281A_S.jpg

JenBKR
09-02-2006, 08:29 AM
aww, Bella! I know you were just trying to bring mommy a present, but that's not exactly what she wanted!

cyber-sibes
09-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Dear Bella,

Good Job! You saved your humans from that pesky bird and had fun doing it. Don't worry about what they say, it's in your genes.

Respectfurry,
Star

Edwina's Secretary
09-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Dear Bella,

It happens. Usually when I meet someone new outside and bring the new friend to Blondie....all is well. But one time....I saw my good buddy, Chippie the Chipmunk and was so excited!!! I ran to greet him and....well...he had a fatal heart attack on the spot! (Did Barbara and Siegmar HAVE to be there... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

So...go easy on yourself...and realize how useful you could be to some vice-presidents!

Eddie

Dorothy39
09-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Oh Bella!!!! :eek: ,

You would sure be very busy up here in my back yard!!!!

We have large White Pines in our back yard, and of course, that means lots and lots of Mourning Doves!!!! I have to watch out for them when ever my Grand Dog, ( a black lab/springer spanial) is in their area!!!

I've seen this happen a few times too!!!!

sanford8916
09-02-2006, 11:03 AM
The joy of bird dogs, even if you don't want them to hunt for you, they will hunt for themselves! Make sure you don't feed the bird or you'll just make it easier for Bella to catch them. :) We have two bird dogs, but we want them to hunt! Lou Lou and Winchester say good girl Bella! Winchester caught a pheasant all my himself once!

Catty1
09-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Looks like an European Rock Dove - known as a "pigeon".

Mourning doves make a smooth cooing sound (kind of mournful) - pigeons have a "gurgly" sound to their call.

When the ERDs are pure white, they become our Peace Doves.

My dad was a bird fan, and I found this out from him.

My biggest worry is that, in cities, pigeons are often nuisance birds, and fed poisoned food - and any animal that eats the poisoned pigeons can get very sick(at the least).

If Bella was able to catch it - either it was very tame, or already injured.

HUGS to you.

Jeannie girl
09-02-2006, 11:21 AM
The look through the screen door sort of gives the illusion of being in doggy jail. Could it be that the bird was already dead? I have scene a couple of dead pigeons in the park and the dogs can easily pick them up. Remember she may be innocent until proven guilty. Bella may just have found the poor bird. I would vote her innocent.

BitsyNaceyDog
09-02-2006, 12:26 PM
I really don't think it's a mourning dove. It really appears to be a pigeon (also known as a rock pigeon or rock dove). It's looks much too large to be a mourning dove. Mourning doves are also brown and pigeons are grey. Here are some Google image searches for you- pigeon (http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&client=flock&rls,=FlockInc.%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=pigeon&btnG=Search) , rock pigeon (http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&client=flock&rls=FlockInc.%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=rock+pigeon&btnG=Search), rock dove (http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&client=flock&rls=FlockInc.%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=rock+dove&btnG=Search).

zoomer
09-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Oh my goodness Bella :eek: ! But they were bred to retriever birds... RIP little birdie :(

lizbud
09-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Bella looks so sweet & innocent. :) I thought she probably was really
hoping she could bring her catch inside. :D

shais_mom
09-02-2006, 06:09 PM
aaww poor Mom!
nawtee Bella!

Corinna
09-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Bella Plead genetic dispostion. They can't convict you for that.

Giselle
09-02-2006, 06:38 PM
We the jury find the defendant .. Not Guilty.
;)

Giselle has killed multiple moths and one poor little brown bird. Nature's way of eliminating the sick/injured. It's natural! It's actually kind of beautiful to see a dog perform its intended job, IMO. I can be a bit gruesome, heh.

Daisy and Delilah
09-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Awwww, Bella, just remind Mom that you were just doing what you thought was right and everything happens for a reason. We vote for a light sentence too. Maybe no tv for a few days?
RIP little birdie :(

Logan
09-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Poor sweet girl.........you were doing what comes naturally, weren't you? Who ever said that poodles were sissies? I know one that is certainly not one! :p

zoey
09-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Bella, you are such a fierce hunter!
But ah really the sweet little doves um *bad girl*.
*But mom, where do you get that yummy chicken you bring home?* :D

Ugh, don't feel too badly. Once Roxy, brought a full sized dead possum into the house. Oh my.

RobiLee
09-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Oh no, Bella! Aww, don't be too upset mom, it's only natural. Both of my girls have caught a bird or two.

You behave, Bella! Leave those birdies alone.

Hugs and kisses to the pups and kitties;)

Cookiebaker
09-10-2006, 01:50 AM
Bella, what a brave girl you are to protect your family from the fierce killer-bird!!! I think you are innocent for reason of self-defense!!! ;)

I do have to say that even in "jail" you are one gorgeous pupper! p.s. Tell yer Mom that we need to see some more pictures of you when you get out of the doghouse!!!

RiP little Birdie! :(

kimlovescats
09-10-2006, 04:53 PM
"Oops, Mommy ... I thought I did a good thing" :confused: ;)

bckrazy
09-11-2006, 01:35 AM
hm... so, I guess Poodles aren't really a "non-sporting" breed. :p

It looks like a pigeon to me, as well. Bella was just acting on instinct. It is kinda shocking that such a pretty girl could kill! hehe

pitc9
09-11-2006, 08:00 AM
It's a pigeon.
Miss. Bella, I would have expected you to be more lady like than to go out hunting in the rain.

LOL!!! My thoughts exactly!!

Pam
09-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Once Roxy, brought a full sized dead possum into the house. Oh my.

Oh my gosh!! I would have died! :eek: We have them in the woods behind our house but thankfully they can't squeeze through the picket fence.

Bella is not really very ladylike. No poodle with any self-respect would have gone out on such a windy rainy night and risk having their curls go flat! :p LOL! I have always called her my little tomboy. :)

Yesterday I was raking up some debris that was in the yard from when Ernesto blew through (some twigs and branches, etc.) and I found some leftover feathers from our departed birdie and it made me :( .

ramanth
09-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Aww Bella. It's okay, we forgive ya. *HUGS*

zoey
09-11-2006, 08:55 AM
**hugs**

Pawsitive Thinking
09-11-2006, 09:58 AM
She's neither a killer or a bad girl - just doing what comes naturally

Vette
09-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Ew...
but good she was a good girl for dropping it http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/VettesPetz/Smiles/clap.gif

lisahumphreys882
09-11-2006, 07:45 PM
It's a pigeon...
I'd probably feel guilty too but it happens.