PDA

View Full Version : Ultimatum *updated with results!*

catnapper
09-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Poor Allen has been peeing all summer. He's spent half the summer on antibiotics, and was deemed healthy by the vet. So we assumed it was behavioral due to my son coming home from college and taking over "Allen's Room" I had hoped the peeing would stop once my son returned to college.

Tony's been back to school for a few weeks now and the peeing has escallated BIG TIME. I've caught him here and there for the past 2 weeks, each time its just a dribble of pee. He's peeing on everything right now, at least once a day. The kitchen counter, the kitchen floor, bathmats, baby blankets, laundry (fresh or dirty, he's not picky)... he's peed on just about every surface except furniture or the carpet. At least he's being polite and picking on easily washed items :rolleyes:

Last night hubby issued an ultimatum: Either I figure out whats wrong or he's gone. :( I have NO IDEA why he's peeing -- he does have a history of UTIs. Does he have another despite being off and on antibiotics all summer? Or is he truly pissed off (literally! :eek: ) that my son left him for college again. Its the same pattern as last fall. Either way, we have a vet appointment for next Tuesday. Its the last thing I can afford but I also cannot even think about Allen being rehomed. Its NOT going to happen.

I called the vet as soon as I could this morning and got a receptionist who I've never spoken to before. I briefly described his peeing and how I was concerned it might be another infection or possibly crystals. She replied, "Cats don't pee inappropriately from infection or crystals, thats always behavioral." WHAT?! :eek:

I'm sitting here in tears and my head is thumping. I love that big bad peeing cat. I know deep in my heart that hubby would never be able to get rid of Allen...... he's just tired of the house smelling like pee. Its so bad that EVERYTHING smells right now and we can't find the new spots for the smell of the old ones. I've put off yet another vet trip because of the cost. Sigh. I hate my life right now. I really do. :(

catnapper
09-01-2006, 08:03 AM
Oh, and I've tried everything
~changed the litter back to what he used to use.
~I scoop twice as often. One day last week, I had scooped, was carrying the bag to the trash (that tells you how recent the scooping was) and he peed on the kitchen rug right in front of me.
~I moved litterboxes to try different levels of privacy.
~I removed lids on the hooded boxes because I know he doesn't like them.
~I experimented with different levels of litter.
~I added yet another box.

I did everything that people typically try.... so its either behavioral (ticked off about Tony, since it all started as soon as he returned from college last June) or he's got another UTI.

I'm off to clean out son's room -- its still a mess even though Ashley spent a few hours in there last week cleaning... how one 20 year old boy can make such a disaster zone in two months is beyond me. Maybe that will help him. At least it'll help me by taking my mind off everything :(

zoey
09-01-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm really sorry you're having to experience this!!
That receptionist doesn't know what she's talking about.
This sounds more like a medical problem than behavorial, to me. I hope your veterinarian can figure out how to help poor Allen.
What was he on antibiotics for?

kt_luvs_kitties
09-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Oh Kim, I am so sorry. It is so frustrating to have a cat do that, and not know why. I am sure something has got to be behind the peeing issues. The receptionist is a moron, please dont take her silly advice. Even though this could be behavorial, maybe something else is wrong, and he is trying to tell you, ESP. since he is doing it right in front of you. Have you had his blood checked to see his levels? Maybe something is off there. I know that you dont have money to waste right now.

But I have one suggestion that I know you have not tried, and I know some people dont believe in this. I had a pet psychic do a reading for my unruly kitten Penny. She is vicious, and would attack me and everyone else. I had a pet psychic do a reading, and she helped so much. She we really good and I figured what do I have to lose? She might be able to help you. If you would like her email addy, let me know. It is 30.00 and her name is Nancy Efrusy. I know others on here have used her before with POSITIVE results. And if you tell her it is urgent, she will do a reading that day if possible. And you send her a check whenever you can. She isnt really concerned with the money. She wants to help. *HUGS* Katie Layne

Poor Allen, something is just not right, huh buddy:(

catnapper
09-01-2006, 08:17 AM
I WAS thinking about the psychic! Hubby rolled his eyes at me - I checked my email, I DO have her address because I inquired if she could do a reading last month. I just could never justify spending $30. But if she helped it would be loads cheaper than the vet. ;)

zoey, he was on antibitoics for a UTI.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Poor you, poor Allen - don't give up on him, there must be a solution to this. My hubby was thinking of rehoming my precious Brody for different reasons but after a night of tears (mine) he has relented.

I do hope this works out for you - maybe all of PT should "pop round" for a chat with hubby.........

catmandu
09-01-2006, 08:47 AM
I am having the same problem with Shemp, who was also pooing in a corner in the spare bedroom.
I have put two litter boxes upstairs as hes not a Porch Cta, and would not go in the basement.
We hate to think that you might lose Allen.
He would probably sadly be worse in a new home.
We are praying that Allen will start using the box again.

Catty1
09-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Catnapper - why not use the psychic? As was said, she is NOT in a rush for the money - just pay her when you can.

You've got nothing to lose at this point.

HUGS!

Poor you and Allen!

Craftlady
09-01-2006, 09:04 AM
I'd try cosequin. It's a herbal remedy for UTI's. Skinny is on it for at least 6 months possibily forever. It's working!
Online pet med place (entirelypets.com) $14.95 a box 80 capsules (our vet charges $35.35 a box). No rx is needed. 1 dose under 10 lbs 2 doses a day over 10 lbs.
We do 1x a day.
I mix it with yogart instead of with food.
It rebuilds their bladders makes them stronger.

It's worth a try for 80 days $14.95 plus $5.95 for shipping (close to it).

kuhio98
09-01-2006, 09:25 AM
I'd say call the psychic. I don't know who you're in contact with by my friend (Sharon in PA) had a phone reading when her cat was missing. Sure enough, the cat was found close to where the psychic said. She asked the psychic to ask the cat how much longer she would live. The psychic said the cat thought about 2 more years. Sure enough, the cat got cancer and lived almost 2 more years.

I'm no psychic and don't have any intuitive ability, but I think Allen is reacting to the chaos that has been going on for the past year. I'm exhausted just reading about what your family has been going through. I couldn't live with all the drama. Now, that's not a judgement. Anytime kids are involved, there is going to be drama. And with your health and the house and your niece and on and on. What I'm saying is that there are some souls on this earth the need quiet, peaceful surroundings. They don't have the ability to absorb new things and adjust. Allen may be one of them.

I hope you do call the psychic. I think we'd all be interested in what she has to say. And, like someone else said, you've got nothing to lose at this point.

Laura's Babies
09-01-2006, 09:32 AM
each time its just a dribble of pee.

That statement makes me think it is medical plus the fact that it is escallateing. The meds he has been on all summer may not have been strong enough to work in his body... they could have even been expired when you got them.. Who knows? I would call and talk to the vet himself and just ask for a different, stronger antibotic and explaine to him that hubby says if it don't stop he has to go. He will understand that for sure!

I think it it was behavioral, he would be spraying a full stream.... BUT, let's say it is, could you crate him in a big cage or kennel, or confine him to a smaller area, one that is easy to clean? Or even just get some of that spray repellant for cats and spray everything with it.....?

You know what would happen to him if you rehomed him.... nobody wants a cat that pees everywhere, rehoming would upset him even more, don't you think?

Just throwing my thoughts in here... I have a problem with Amy not always going in the litter box here and we (Rie and I) have found that it is best to keep all throw rugs picked up and have only 3 litter boxes (for my 4 insted of the 5 to 6 I had) have helped a lot. I have also got a big box of those hospital disposable pads (like real large puppy pads) to put outside the litter boxes for those days she just can't make it in the boxes from falling over.

krazyaboutkatz
09-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Kim, I'm sorry to hear about Allen and I sure hope that you'll be able to find out why he's having his peeing problems. I also used the same pet psychic and you can even talk to her on the phone if you'd like. She helped me with my Starr when he was pooping out of the litterbox and I also learned much more about his personality. Good luck.:)

catnapper
09-01-2006, 09:47 AM
There's NO WAY we'll rehome him. It might end up rehoming me along with him ;)

Well, I think I will call the pschic. I have seen the results everyone here has gotten, so maybe it'll give me some insight to discuss with the vet.

I just finished cleaning Tony's room... with Allen watching me from outside the door until I got most of the floored cleared away, then he came into the room and watched me. I found a catnip toy and tossed it to him; he started to play then ran out of the room. He's not back in the room yet, but I think the vaccuum had something to do with that ;) I honestly think he's happy his room is organized again.

He has looked so sad all week. So very sad. My heart breaks every time I look at his sweet face - it just looks sad. I can't describe it any other way. He's been clingy too, giving us headbumpies and meowing for attention, which is so unlike him. Maybe having his room totally back in order will help everything? I'll let you know. I'm not expecting a miracle cure here.

Lisa, lol, no offense taken. I myself am tired of drama, can I please have a very boring, hum-drum life? Wait, be careful what you wish for! :p How about a happy, interesting life without major dramas at every turn? A life that doesn't feel like a cheesy soap opera?

kimlovescats
09-01-2006, 10:33 AM
((((((((HUGS))))))))) Kim! Now, I agree that the dribbling sounds more like an infection! My Dexter SPRAYS and it stinks to high heaven!!! He has to stay upstairs in the kitty room or my whole house would be horrendous! :rolleyes: It is true that some antibiotics don't work as well as others, or that if he has been on it too long that he may have developed a resistance to that one! I would also try the Cosequin that Becky suggested ... something natural seems like a good option! The psychic seems like a waste of time and money to me .... but just my opinion. ;)

Kim

kt_luvs_kitties
09-01-2006, 11:23 AM
I used the psychic because a behaviorialist charges $80.00 per half hour. She charges only $30.00 for as many readings as needed. And she really did help. Melissa (doolittleky) used her and had an AMAZING reading, and she was right on. It is all in if you want to take your chances, I think you will be surprised. And she emails you all of her reading, so you dont have to bother writing and listening at the same time. GOOD LUCK EITHER WAY!!!

Craftlady
09-01-2006, 11:30 AM
I used the psychic because a behaviorialist charges $80.00 per half hour. She charges only $30.00 for as many readings as needed. And she really did help. Melissa (doolittleky) used her and had an AMAZING reading, and she was right on. It is all in if you want to take your chances, I think you will be surprised. And she emails you all of her reading, so you dont have to bother writing and listening at the same time. GOOD LUCK EITHER WAY!!!

Dang, money making adventure.
Syliva Brown is only pyschic that is real in my opinion. Rest just feed off what the person who is asking the questions says to them. If we would remain silent they wouldnt be able to do a reading.

Catty1
09-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Well, this pet psychic DOES require a photo of the pet.

If there are people who have used a pet psychic, and it HASN'T helped, they ought to post here and balance the picture.

All I have heard of her so far is that her readings have worked!

And if all she wanted was money, she would charge way more than $30 an hour! Plus, she will do the reading first, and wait for the pay whenever it can be done.

I base my opinion here on the eivdence, not the opinions. And I mean no offense to you, Craftlady. But Catnapper and hubby are in a tough spot with Allan.

Maybe after his "room" is clean, he will feel better.

PT Prayers are at work too!

HUGS

Prairie Purrs
09-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Pee dribbles and a sad expression would make me think that he's physically uncomfortable. Is it possible that, given his history of UTIs, that the vet simply put him on antibiotics without giving him a really thorough examination?

Craftlady
09-01-2006, 02:01 PM
I know they are in a tough spot, Cathy. They are also in a financial pickle too and I dont want them to spend money that has a potential of being a waste of money.

I based my opinion on experince with readers that took what you say/said and turn it around to make it appear they said it and thought it.

I'm very leary of someone who calls themselves a "psychic".

I'd rather Catnapper spend the money at the vets to get tests done etc to solve the problem than to relay on a psychic to make the problem go away.

catnapper
09-01-2006, 02:27 PM
I still haven't decided what to do about Allen and the psychic. Most likely I'll save my money and let the vet see him first. Then I'll call the psychic as a last ditch effort if my vet is stumped.

He's made himself scarce all day after I cleaned "his room" and let me tell you, I knew the room was bad, but not THAT bad. I wouldn't blame him for being mad about the room either. It was a certified disaster zone. There's something sticky on the carpet... I don't even want to know what it might be. Ashley took out two 50 gallon bags of trash last week. I took out one this morning. Hubby filled THREE trash cans the other day -- all from my son's room! The sad thing was that it was in perfect shape, perfectly clean when he returned from college in June. All that trash was from him living there June, July, and August. DISGUSTING! No wonder Allen's been protesting! I would be too! We'll see if the newly cleaned out room makes a difference the next few days. Anyone in a betting mood? 50/50 odds that the clean room stops the peeing ;)

jenluckenbach
09-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Small dribbles means something physical. Irritation from infection or crystals.......blockage..........or like with Simba, just an inflammed bladder. If it were a marking behavior you'd have a normal amount of urine.

As for the possibility of stress, does the recent bout coincide with the moving of the large work table?

catnapper
09-01-2006, 02:42 PM
As for the possibility of stress, does the recent bout coincide with the moving of the large work table?
Ummmm.... good question. Not really. Its escallated since then but he was definately peeing before that. I caught him peeing on the kitchen floor the day before the idea even popped into my head. Though I'd say it has definately gotten worse since the table was moved. VERY good point Jen because he had taken ownership of the table.

He's also probably confused where he should be fed at mealtimes now. He always was fed on the scratching post whereas everyone else ate on the same table... it made his status as King all the more evident. Now everyone is fed in different locations. Two on my desk. One on the scratching post, one next to the water fountain and one on the window ledge. Nobody really has a designated spot - they run to whichever dish they can get ownership of. Typically they run to the first dish where food is put, then follow to the second, the third, the fourth, and the fifth until they settle on a dish.... though they've always done that, but left Allen's scratching post dish open for Allen (his dish usually got served first) Does all that make sense?

catnapper
09-01-2006, 02:48 PM
CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP -- I really want to be saying something else right now.

I was sitting ehre talking about Allen when I watched Pouncer enter the litterbox. He jumped out. I thought nothing of it. Now he's back again. Straining to pee. Sigh. Is he sick again? Is he the mad pee-er?

God help me. Now I need to take both boys to the vet. I can not tell you which one is the pee-er. I've WITNESSED Allen peeing, and now Pouncer's doing the littlerbox dance he does when he's sick.

There he goes back into the box... he's been in and out fo the box 3 times since I started to write this post.

I'm too tired to cry right now.

Edit: I called the vet and both boys will go in on Tuesday. $115 just to see the vet and have an urinalysis. Thats not including meds or food. I know the food is $45. If you'll excuse me, I'll be the one in the fetal position under my desk. Seriously, can one day go by without drama? I'm not going to be able to sleep now for worry about Pouncer blocking. Why didn't I notice his signs sooner? I see them clear as day right now -- jumping in and out of the litterbox, licking himself.... I swear it just started just now. I know to watch for the signs of him doing just that and haven't seen any til now. :( Now I feel bad blaming Allen when it could very well have been Pouncer. But I'll still take both boys just in case.

Catsnclay
09-01-2006, 03:11 PM
What type of food do you feed them? I know that the ash content is very important for males - although I can't remember if it is high ash or low ash - sorry. But it looks like you do have a problem.

I know you now this, but sometimes repeating it will help, so here goes (don't get mad, I'm just trying to help!):

Cats do NOT like change in their lives, sounds like Allen has had a lot of change recently. Go back to feeding him first, and where he likes to be fed. Have you moved his favorite bed? The scratching post, did you move that? How about his litter box?

You said he had to share a room with your son, did he enjoy doing that? Now that your son is gone, maybe Allen can have "his" room back - give him a few days to get reaquianted with that. Are the other kitties picking on him? If so, why??

Are they drinking enough? Maybe adding wet food with water - mix it like a soup will give him more water in his diet.

You have to play pet dectective and find out what is bugging them. If you think it is UTI, then go to the vet (I know you already have an appointment) Antibiotics will help with the UTI, but not if it behaviorial.

My Yoshi is a pee-boy and he is on "kitty porzac". It is not very expensive, it is like $12.00 and it lasts 3 1/2 months - and well worth every cent of it!! But, he is on it for life :( but this is a very small price to pay to keep everyone healthy & happy in this house. Talk with you vet about medications, there are several different types, so your vet will know the best one for Allen.

Good luck & hang in there! I know how frustrating this is, but don't give up on them. This is there only way of expressing their frustration to us!

Randi
09-01-2006, 03:12 PM
To me it sounds like he's trying to tell you something. Most likely he has an infection or is blocking up with crystals.

Fister blocked up several times and was flushed throgh 3 times at the vet, 2-3 months apart, and we kept him on Hills S/D as the vet suggested. He still blocked up - OK, not as quite as bad, but still. The vet told us that he was not allowed one single shrimp!

Well, in the end we had him operated. If you do a search, you'll find the threads about the problem and how we handled it. Boots, (Cinder & Smoke's) also had this operation. Sasvermont posted some very good links too.

All the best of luck finding a solution, and scritchies to Allen. :)

Lizzie
09-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Kim - I think it's time that Allen and Pouncer got some PT help. If you feel you can do this, please let someone like Jen know your vet's name and phone number so that those of us who want to help can call and put $5 or so into your account. Would that work or am I talking out of the back of my hat? You have to get those boys to the vet, you have no choice.

catnapper
09-01-2006, 03:16 PM
See, I'm totally kicking myself right now. I know Pouncer needs to be on special diet. I just could not afford it last month. I ordered it, I just never had the money to pick it up, so he's been eating Nutro. If this costs me $200 just because he didn't eat his special food... then I'll scream :( Lesson learned - do not substitute Pouncer's food for anything, especially when things change around here since I know he stresses so easily.

All I can say is thank God for people who are true friends - I do have the money for this vet visit.

Edit: Lizzie, I saw your post... I would love nothing more for anyone to help, but I hate feeling like I'm asking for handouts. I really do. But let me tell you, this experience has helped make me a better person. In all my house cleaning the past two weeks I've sent out a LOT of stuff on Freecycle. I thought a young college kid was going to kiss me last night when I gave her my old art portfolio. She said that even in the condition I gave it to her (pretty battered), it was worth over $100 - new ones apparently run over $200. Hubby's eyes got real big and I could tell he was wondering why I didn't try to sell it.... the reason was because it was something I had to give. I felt good knowing I was able to help out a college kid and make her feel as lucky as I do getting the help PTers already gave me. I truly believe in paying it forward.. someday I can do more and when another Ter needs my help I'll be there to do whatever I can. (((hugs)))

jenluckenbach
09-01-2006, 04:25 PM
I just could not afford it last month. I ordered it, I just never had the money to pick it up, so he's been eating Nutro. If this costs me $200 just because he didn't eat his special food... then I'll scream :( Lesson learned - do not substitute Pouncer's food for anything,
Now here is a lesson I learned a LOOOOONG time ago. :( The cost of the correst food is SOOOOO much less than vet visits to correct the problems.

But don't toally kick yourself. ;) After all, you KNOW Allen is partly to blame and he was never prescribed that food. (that may NOT be his problem). I tell you, after the episode with Simba where he dribbled on the floor, and the urinalysis turned up NO infection and NO crystals. The vet thought his bladder was inflammed, gave him a steroid and something else, and he is as good as ever.

Sevaede
09-01-2006, 09:28 PM
I am so sorry that Allen is having potty issues! :(

When we were living with Troys parents, if we BOTH left to go do something, Soni would relieve himself (1 or 2) on their bed. We solved this by keeping him locked in our room while we were gone (as he didn't do it while he was in there).

rkidsrcats
09-02-2006, 12:14 AM
just want to put our 2 cents in that we think it sounds physical and not behavioral. After the ordeal Pippin has been through and the fact that his first urinalysis turned up no crystals and no infection.....we hope the vet visit for both Pouncer and Allen give you more information. When we finally did the ultrasound on Pip's bladder, you could see the crystals had accumulated in there clear as day. A second urinalysis confirmed it. And he was very uncomfortable, very depressed and sick from it irritating his bladder. And he pretty much felt like he had to pee 24/7, so he was in and out of the cat boxes all the time. And then he started going on some towels in the closet and that's where we first saw the blood in his urine. He took antibiotics at first, but I think that just alleviated some symptoms for a while and masked the real problem... the crystals. Thankfully, my vet was pretty insistent that we do further tests.

So sorry you are having to go through all this with Allen - he's such a sweety and you love him so much - it is hard to see them not doing well.
Good luck

krazyaboutkatz
09-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Kim, I'm so sorry to now hear that Pouncer probably has crystals again too.:(
I also learned the hard way with Storm. Even though Storm had to have the PU surgery, he can still become irritated by crystals or get UTI's. I thought that his problems were being caused by all the stress he had when I still had Cirrus so I switched the cats food to Innova. After several months, Storm began licking himself a lot and he was also bloody in his pee pee area. His urinalysis showed that he had crystals but not an infection so I had to start feeding him his special diet again. Now all of my furkids are on Royal Canin Urinary S/O formula and Storm has been a happy healthy boy ever since. Good luck at the vets and I hope that both Allen and Pouncer will feel better soon. Please take care too. (((HUGS)))

orangemm
09-02-2006, 06:03 AM
We all know you love Allen; there has to be a way to find out what is causing all this turmoil and anxiety. I just feel so bad for you and him. If only our dear pets could talk to us, what a blessing that would be.

We'll all be praying for both of you!

Hugs to you and him...........

catnapper
09-02-2006, 07:48 AM
there has to be a way to find out what is causing all this turmoil and anxiety.
I know what it is - my life. We have had so much happen to us this past year. I swear if I sat down and wrote out everything that we've had this past year..... well, it would be worth a few good TV show story lines. Maybe I'll sell my life story to Hollywood and be the poorman's version of the OC? Ya know, "On the next special episode of Shoestring Budget, mom has a mini nervous breakdown and the baby starts teething, while the boss sexually harasses a 16 year old employee, and dad has kidney stones" :eek: (oh yeah, thats THIS week's fun :rolleyes: )

Oh goodness, what would I be like if I didn't have my sense of humor to just laugh at everything? I feel so slammed right now and I can only laugh anymore. Sure, its a maniacal "you've got to be kidding me" laugh, but I'm laughing nonetheless. I'm going through one big cosmic joke right now. I NEVER thought one family could undergo so much drama like this.

K & L
09-02-2006, 07:51 AM
Have you tried a 2nd opinion from another vet? If he's just dribbling pee, sounds to me like a blockage. Have you tried diapering him? We do this with Scooter and it always clues me in if there's blood in his urine, plus the fact he dribbles and can't control what he's doing.

BitsyNaceyDog
09-02-2006, 08:42 AM
That statement makes me think it is medical plus the fact that it is escallateing. The meds he has been on all summer may not have been strong enough to work in his body... they could have even been expired when you got them.. Who knows? I would call and talk to the vet himself and just ask for a different, stronger antibotic and explaine to him that hubby says if it don't stop he has to go. He will understand that for sure!

I think it it was behavioral, he would be spraying a full stream.... BUT, let's say it is, could you crate him in a big cage or kennel, or confine him to a smaller area, one that is easy to clean? Or even just get some of that spray repellant for cats and spray everything with it.....?

You know what would happen to him if you rehomed him.... nobody wants a cat that pees everywhere, rehoming would upset him even more, don't you think?

Just throwing my thoughts in here... I have a problem with Amy not always going in the litter box here and we (Rie and I) have found that it is best to keep all throw rugs picked up and have only 3 litter boxes (for my 4 insted of the 5 to 6 I had) have helped a lot. I have also got a big box of those hospital disposable pads (like real large puppy pads) to put outside the litter boxes for those days she just can't make it in the boxes from falling over.

I agree with Laura. I think it's a medical problem because he's only going a drop each time. My cat Oliver had crystals. It wasn't until he started peeing on the carpet (just as you described, small amounts in several places) that I noticed there was a problem. I called the vet and they told me to bring him in right away. They tested his urine and found his problem to be crystals. Oliver had to stay at the vet's over night and he was put on on meds and a prescription diet (Royal Canin- Urinary SO (http://www.royalcanin.us/vetdiet/felineurinary.html) ). He's had to remain on the prescription diet, but it's well worth it because he's healthy and has had no more problems. He's also not allowed to have fish, so I make sure not to buy any fish treats or food for the other cats, it's easier just to keep it out of the house.

I've also used the disposable pads for my cats. Well mostly for my RB cat, Roxy who had a neurological disorder and couldn't stand in a litter box. I suggested them to my friend who has a 24 year old cat that often misses the box. She said that the pad changed her life, she was constantly cleaning up after her cat, but now just easily changes the pad.

orangemm
09-02-2006, 08:53 AM
I know what it is - my life. We have had so much happen to us this past year. I swear if I sat down and wrote out everything that we've had this past year..... well, it would be worth a few good TV show story lines. Maybe I'll sell my life story to Hollywood and be the poorman's version of the OC? Ya know, "On the next special episode of Shoestring Budget, mom has a mini nervous breakdown and the baby starts teething, while the boss sexually harasses a 16 year old employee, and dad has kidney stones" :eek: (oh yeah, thats THIS week's fun :rolleyes: )

Oh goodness, what would I be like if I didn't have my sense of humor to just laugh at everything? I feel so slammed right now and I can only laugh anymore. Sure, its a maniacal "you've got to be kidding me" laugh, but I'm laughing nonetheless. I'm going through one big cosmic joke right now. I NEVER thought one family could undergo so much drama like this.

I'm so sorry to hear you've had all these problems. I can't imagine dealing with all of that, plus problems with your cats. You're a better woman than I; I would have curled up and disappeared (no joke!). You are extremely strong, an attribute most of would love to have.

Just remember you have all of us here right behind you. We'll listen, we'll cry, we'll laugh and always we'll support you 100%.

HUGS to all of you!

Kirsten
09-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Oh Kim, I'm so sorry to read about Allen's and Pouncer's problems! You've been through so much lately, and now this! :(

One question, did Allen ever had an ultrasound of his bladder? You know, Luna had one to rule out a blockage from a tumor or struvite stone. The vet who did the ultrasound recommended homoepatic remedies, Berberis and Cantharis, and they helped a lot! You can order them in the pharmacy, and the good thing is, they are NOT expensive. Feel free to pm me if you want to know more about this.

Of course it could be a reaction to all the changes lately, but it sounds more like a medical condition to me. If not, I really tend to think that a phychic is an option!

Kirsten

catnapper
09-05-2006, 10:12 AM
OMG, I have the world's COOLEST vet. She knows my financial situation, so she told me that she won't be charging me for an office visit for either boy today. That just saved me $80!!! Both boys are staying at the vet til they decide to offer a urine sample. The vet said they could stay free overnight if needed (my boys are stubborn :p).

Whew. One issue down, now lets see what the vet says about the urine samples.

The vet did say it didn't seem Allen was spraying (ie: behavioral) so she's checking his urine too thinking it is physical.

It fells so weird here knowing I'm down to just 3 tabbes. My two big boys are at the vet -- and oh my have they become BIG BOYS! Allen's up to 20.9 pounds :eek: I forgot to ask what Pouncer's up to but I know he's gained a lot of weight the past few months.

Russian Blue
09-05-2006, 10:31 AM
OMG, I have the world's COOLEST vet. She knows my financial situation, so she told me that she won't be charging me for an office visit for either boy today. That just saved me $80!!! Both boys are staying at the vet til they decide to offer a urine sample. The vet said they could stay free overnight if needed (my boys are stubborn :p).

Wow, that's great! I don't think that would ever happen here in Toronto. ;) Hoping this resolves quickly for you.

kimlovescats
09-05-2006, 11:41 AM
That's great news, Kim! I am blessed with a vet that also cuts me some slack, knowing how many kitties I have to care for! ;) I hope that she is able to get the samples she needs and get your big boys back home and healthy again!

Hugs,
Kim

Kirsten
09-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Kim, that is great news!!! I'm glad you have such a phantastic vet!! If there's really a medical condition, I'm sure you'll be able to deal with Allen's problem!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Kirsten

orangemm
09-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Talk about a vet with a heart of gold! Now that is a lady who cares about animals.

Let us know what happens..........

Reachoutrescue
09-05-2006, 12:52 PM
I am sorry to hear about Alien's problem. Maybe you should take him to another vet. My one cat pees on the carpet whenever I bring a new rescue home. I know why he does it. It is hard to tell with cats...wish they could talk! Sorry I can't be of much help to you. Good luck with him....

catnapper
09-06-2006, 08:28 AM
My boys are home!!! I won't find out the results of the test til tomorrow though.

I really don't like the new vet tech. She brought out the boys then told me, "I don't know if you know this but he kept staying in his litterbox and wouldn't come out. Maybe you should talk to the vet about it." OMG... what the heck did she think he was in for? Just a fun overnight stay in their luxurious cage? :rolleyes: If she even looked at his chart, she'd notice I told the vet all about his litterbox habits.

I think the other guys missed Allen and Pouncer last night. But now Harry's not too sure he missed Pouncer. Pouncer just tried to kick Harry's butt. Harry is now one big Halloween cat with a poofy tail and this look on his face that says, "what did I do?"

Laura's Babies
09-06-2006, 08:34 AM
We will wait with you with our fingers crossed for the word from the vet.

It is wonderful to hear of a vet that cares about the pets she cares for over the $$$.... To thank her, you could do her a drawing of the boys to hang in her office? Or perhaps offer to do one of her own pet?

jenluckenbach
09-07-2006, 03:09 PM
RESULTS??????????????? Please.

catnapper
09-08-2006, 09:01 AM
I still have not heard any results myself :(

I called the vet first thing this morning and the vet tech (the new one I don't like) answered the phone and refused to give me any details. She said the vet would call me after noon today with the results. Grrr. They've given me details before and I would go to pick up the meds.

This vet tech is enough to make me consider leaving this vet. She's rude and unkowlegable.

shais_mom
09-08-2006, 09:39 AM
I still have not heard any results myself :(

I called the vet first thing this morning and the vet tech (the new one I don't like) answered the phone and refused to give me any details. She said the vet would call me after noon today with the results. Grrr. They've given me details before and I would go to pick up the meds.

This vet tech is enough to make me consider leaving this vet. She's rude and unkowlegable.
tell the vet about it
I will be hoping for good results or at least a clue why they are doing it!

I am sorry to hear about Alien's problem
its ALLEN

Catty1
09-08-2006, 09:50 AM
"Alien" is the VET TECH'S name. :p

Really, Kim - if you like your vet, and you seem to - talk to her about the tech.

Maybe a nice way is to ask something like "Is [name] okay? She has seemed really unhappy the last couple of days when I have talked to her."

Then the vet might ask more - or might just sigh and nod!

Hope all is well with your boys!

HUGS

jazzcat
09-08-2006, 10:50 AM
I was checking in for results. Nothing like making you wait and a cat suffer, huh?

I'm with the others that you should tell the vet about the tech. She may be running off several customers.

catnapper
09-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Oh boy.... now I know why the tech didn't say anything - I've been on the phone with the vet for the past 45 minutes.

Both boys have an extremely concetrated urinine sample. I had no idea what that meant. She said it means their kidneys are working very well, but they aren't getting enough water. She suggested a water fountain. I have TWO, and she was surprised when I said that, so she suggested adding more wet food to their diet (oh they'll be so dispapointed with that :rolleyes: )

Pouncer has no crystals or infection. She thinks he's just not relaxing his pee pee muscles enough for him to pee (poor baby is stressed!) will he be going on Valium! He'll be on it for only a month just to get him back to normal. The vet said that he's most likely picked up on MY stress :(

Allen on the other hand, even though he also has highly concentraded urine, also has an alarmingly high red blood cell count and something else I already forget about. She said it looks like he has FLUTD, and most likely has had it for years, we just didn't get a urine sample like this one to tie everything together. He will be on Clavimox (for the zillionth time) and prednizone (for the first time). She's very concerned about Allen. Poor boy's been trying to tell me something for years and we missed it. :( We'll see what else Nancy has to say about it (or should I say, we'll see what Nancy says Allen says?)

The good news is I did NOT screw things up by not giving them the prescription diet last month. In fact she says Nutro is perfectly fine to give them! She said if it happens again in the next few months that we might consider a whole different prescription diet, but the prescription food they were on before didn't help any more than the Nutro. Whew. Oh, and she said Friskies canned food is perfectly fine. Thank God, its sooo much cheaper!

I asked how odd was it that two cats from the same family had the same concentrated urine and she said its not too common. Of course I would be the exception to any rule! :rolleyes:

Oh, she also said that because of their concentration levels they are much more likely to block... and that I got them to her in the nick of time. She said much longer and they both would have started to form crystals and block. :eek:

Killearn Kitties
09-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Well I'm glad you got some anwers!Do they drink anything other than water? Drained tuna? Or dare I meantion the dreaded clam juice?

RedHedd
09-08-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm glad you got answers. Did you say anything about the rude tech?

I had an experience with a rude dental tech a couple of weeks ago and did say something to the dentist. He rolled his eyes and told me she was off the day of my appointment. I have a feeling I'm not the only one who had problems with her, and I betcha your vet has heard complaints about that tech too.

moosmom
09-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Kim,

At least you got answers. There's nothing more frustrating than going through what you have gone through and not knowing why.

Great vet too!!!

jenluckenbach
09-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Finally some answers!!! That is a relief.

So now you;ll be pumping one up with steriods and calming one down with valium! :rolleyes:

Donnaj4962
09-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Glad you finally got some answers! Hopefully things will clear up with the meds. Mnay prayers coming from Indiana that things are soon on the mend for everyone in the Catnapper family! :)

catmandu
09-08-2006, 03:52 PM
We are praying taht this will be the start of thiier going back to normal , and using thier Litter Boxes.
You have been through so much lately, you deserve Good News.

CultureJunky
09-08-2006, 04:09 PM
I really hope Allen can sort his problems out now now he's on something new, I'm praying for Allen and really hope he gets better, he's lovely and I so dont want him to have to go! :( ....I really hope his peeing stops and he's healthier soon. Bless that sweet boy.

ShylanHal
09-09-2006, 12:13 AM
I can't believe I have hardly any time to check these things!!! I just started my senior year in high school last wednesday, and my life has been chaos!
I'm sorry I've been missing out on all these posts!

I'm sorry that Pouncer and Allen are having pee problems, and I'm VERY glad that they're gonna get help for it!!! Can't wait to hear about their nice recoveries from the peepeeworld

Also: You should tell the vet about that tech, you're prolly not the only one who has had a rude telling off. Whether she could not tell you or not, she should have explained why she couldn't, and should also have the right mind to at least pay ATTENTION to her clients!

krazyaboutkatz
09-09-2006, 12:59 AM
Kim, I'm sorry to hear about Allen and Pouncer.:(At least you now know it's a medical problem. I sure hope that the meds will work and that this won't happen again. Both Sunny and Storm get some wet mixed in with their dry food and I also add some water to it to give them added moisture. They love it and I'd also have a fountain but Sunny loves to play in the water so I had to give mine away. I sure hope that Nancy will also be able help you with Allen. Good luck and please continue to keep us updated.:)

Sevaede
09-09-2006, 02:34 AM
Kim, I am sorry about how the results turned out. :( Did it turn out better than you had anticipated?

*sends Pouncer a virtual massage* Reeeeeelaaaaaaaaaaaaax keedee. :D

orangemm
09-09-2006, 06:45 AM
Let's hope this will be the beginning of the END of the problems. Do you see them drinking at all? With fountains, I would think they would drink more (mine do), not less.

(You might want some of that valium yourself! ;) )

catnapper
09-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Let's hope this will be the beginning of the END of the problems. Do you see them drinking at all? With fountains, I would think they would drink more (mine do), not less.

(You might want some of that valium yourself! ;) )
Funny thing is they WERE drinking more with the fountains. I keep them as clean as possible so I can't figure out why they aren't drinking enough. Maybe they want Evian water instead of good old tap water? ;) I will be making slurpy type meals with the wet food for everyone. I just have to figure out HOW to do it because I usually have 4 cats meowing and nudging their noses into the can (Allen always stands back and waits to be served :rolleyes: ) I have enough trouble just dishing the food out, let alone mixing it up! LOL

Yes, hubby and I decided last night that the valium would do me just as much good as Pouncer. I feel just awful that he's been feeding off my own stress. I told ya he was a sensitive boy!

Angelique, I am THRILLED with the vet's diagnosis. I am never upset when a diagnosis is made. It means its a medical issue and we can treat it and watch to make sure we keep them healthy, then watch for signs its returning.

Oh, one last thought: maybe I need to get a second Betta since they all drink from Mr. Fishie's bowl! Then I can have two betta bowls serving up flavored water! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Catty1
09-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Kim - I know a lot of Brita pitchers are to be had at second hand stores.

And there are inexpensive generic filters you can use.

I had a roomate once who had a cat - I had one that I kept in my own room - and when he was out, he always went to the OTHER cat's water dish!

She used Brita - I used tap!

Apparently it tastes more like rainwater than tap water does!

You could also try keeping tap water in a pitcher til the chlorine dissipates.

Just a thought.

AbbyMom
09-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Catnapper--did you try leaving the toilet seats up for their drinking pleasure? :D
:D
(sorry...couldn't resist)

On the serious side...for Becky I make homemade chicken broth so she gets more fluids. I buy chicken breasts when they are on sale in the huge packages and then microwave them in a little water to cook them.

After they are cooked, I add some water to the broth to make it go farther and then freeze it in little containers. The chicken I then use in casseroles, salads, and sandwiches (very cost effective).

But Becky loves loves her chicken broth and will drink it at any time. The picky little princess won't drink store bought chicken broth, so this is what I do.

No, I do not spoil my cats. ;)

moosmom
09-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Did ya ask the vet if he could throw in a couple more Valium for the owner???? :rolleyes: Better yet, crush it up and put it in his coffee. :p

BitsyNaceyDog
09-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Bottled water isn't a bad idea, or the Britta filtered water that was mentioned. We use bottled water for all our animals. You can buy 1 gallon or 5 gallon jugs and then refill them at the grocery store. It's much cheaper than buying new jugs every week.