PDA

View Full Version : He's here! Advice is requested! Thanks in advance!

Reachoutrescue
09-01-2006, 01:01 AM
My cousins brought their cat over tonight. He is a big boy! He is all gray and he is 13 yrs old. He has never been around other cats, so he is very scared. My cousin, Billy, said he will probably hide for the first week. I hope he comes out to eat and use the litter box. Any suggestions on making him more comfy, let me know. My rescues are have never been over 9 yrs old and I have never dealt with cat that has not been around other cats....usually my rescues are strays or shelter pulls that are found with other cats. I hope he is okay. I will post pics when I can get him to come around. Thanks guys.

kt_luvs_kitties
09-01-2006, 01:34 AM
I would keep him confined to his own area for a few days. He is so scared that it may hurt introductions to let him meet the others this soon after arrival.
Just keep petting and reassuring him. He will come around. Why did your cousins get rid of him? I wish your the best. Any chance we will get pictures soon? :D (u know I had to ask) :p

kimlovescats
09-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Poor baby, he must be scared to death!!! Good luck with him! I agree that he needs a quiet, secluded place to stay .... don't need him overly stressed at his age! ;)

Laura's Babies
09-01-2006, 12:30 PM
My God! He has to be terrified that his whole life has turned upside down. Watch him close, he could grieve himself to death.

Reachoutrescue
09-01-2006, 02:02 PM
I would keep him confined to his own area for a few days. He is so scared that it may hurt introductions to let him meet the others this soon after arrival.
Just keep petting and reassuring him. He will come around. Why did your cousins get rid of him? I wish your the best. Any chance we will get pictures soon? :D (u know I had to ask) :p
My cousin is in the process of moving into a new home, but the house won't be ready for about 5 months. He staying with his sister, my other cousin, until then. She has two large dogs and a cat with a very rare skin condition. The vet does not want her cat around other felines...it may be contagious, they are not sure. He is taking Bear back when he moves in his new home. Billy, my cousin, was very upset about leaving him.

My God! He has to be terrified that his whole life has turned upside down. Watch him close, he could grieve himself to death.
Bear is upset. He has bee hiding behind my sofa since last night. I tried to pet him, but he is not a happy kitty right now. I will offer him some of his food and see if I can lure him out to put him into another room....which I am running out of! Thanks for the advice guys. I hope he is okay. Poor guy...he's just a little old man that wants to go home. Until he is back with Billy, I will love him like he is my own. If he lets me!! :confused:

Lizzie
09-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Tracy - did your cousin leave any clothes behind that smell of him? Or a blanket from Bear's old home? If not, get your cousin to wear a sweatshirt or similar for several hours and then give it to you so you can put it behind the sofa with Bear. I'm sure he will be fine but I'm afraid that, in spite of your space crunch, he would be best in his own room where he can be free from everyone's presence while he eats and uses the litter box.

catmandu
09-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Let Bear come out in his own good time, and I amsure that he will become accustomed to the Other Cats.
The Found Cats all had to go through this initiation, and are doing fine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/cats123.jpg
Cuddle Cats.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cats102.jpg
I will be keeping Doris on the Porch until she is acclamated.