PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Opinion on Cesar Millan

Aurie
08-31-2006, 09:07 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/31/opinion/31derr.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

zoomer
08-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Nice website... thanks for posting. I have something against Cesar Millan. Never would I send any of my dogs to him...

areias
08-31-2006, 09:14 PM
Thank god someone shares my views on that man.

zoomer
08-31-2006, 09:21 PM
Thank god someone shares my views on that man.

Agreed

cali
08-31-2006, 09:25 PM
I too am against Cesear Milan, everytime I see his show I cringe at his methodes and the poor dogs.

Logan
08-31-2006, 09:30 PM
I have no opinion about the man because I have never listened to him, read his book, nor have I watched him on tv (except on Oprah). I have no opinion of him, but I have surely read plenty of opinions of him, mostly positive. This sheds a different light, for sure. I will have to look a little more closely at him.

Thanks for posting this. I think it helps to hear both sides.

Logan

*LabLoverKEB*
08-31-2006, 09:33 PM
I have a question... what is so wrong about Cesar Millian?? :confused:

critter crazy
08-31-2006, 09:40 PM

I would like to know the same thing??

Karen
08-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Read the article she linked to in the first post - that gives that person's opinion.

zoomer
08-31-2006, 09:51 PM

He forced a dog to walk on a tread mill.. tell me that's a good method of training.

cali
08-31-2006, 10:00 PM
he teaches frightend dogs to get over there fear by flooding them with it, like a dane that was afraid of shiny floors, he looped and leash around the dogs neck and dragged him accross shiney floors. to train a dog fearful of other dogs he tossed the dog in a pen full of his dogs. to teach a dog that spinned alot he had the owner string the dog up high on the throat, with the leash looped around itself like a choker, he then lifted the dog down the stairs like this and told the owner to take the dogs for like 2 hour walks a day, always keeping him strung up so high that it was impossable for the dog to spin, to make it worse it was a pug nosed dog. I have seen him to so many things like this, I just keep thinking about what he would do to Happy if he met her? she has fear aggression and is EXTREMLY submissive, would he do like her did to the other fearful dog and huck her in a pen full of strange dogs?

Suki Wingy
08-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Actually, I've never seen his shows but I've read articles on him and I pulled one of his moves the other day. You have to understand, almost all other methods of training have not really worked with Niņo. I was walking him, and even after we played in the yard to let him release some energy he was still pulling badly, despite me stopping him for 2 seconds every time he pulled (ONLY thing that's worked to heal him) He's usually (finally, took 6 years) pretty good at healing now but that day he was wearing a buckle collar and being testy, really, and I didn't want him to hurt himself on the collar so I reached down and used a soft but stern voice, and lifted his front feet about and inch off of the ground for one second supporting him by the head and neck the way sheep exhibitors do in the ring. After that, he had calmed down and settled in nicley and I praised him a lot. He was happily but submissivley trotting along wagging his tail. (And not that scared wag either)

critter crazy
08-31-2006, 10:12 PM
He forced a dog to walk on a tread mill.. tell me that's a good method of training.
Is this a proven fact or just a myth like most things found on the net?? I have watched his shows, and i have to say i like the way he teaches! But this is just my opinion! All I know is that you cannot believe everything that you read!

Aurie
09-01-2006, 07:15 AM
No you can't believe everything you read. I agree. But you also can't believe everything you see on TV ;) I posted the article because many, if not all, the dog trainers I know CRINGE at the thought of Cesar's TV show. I know many people here praise him and his show. I wanted to display a different version or the other side of the coin so to speak. When I first watched Cesar, I thought "Oh how wonderful and easy." That is the problem. It is easy for Cesar. He has been training dogs for many years. But I nor does ANYONE I know, have his instincts or his years of experience. Most of the dog trainers I have met can do the same techniques with the same success as Cesar. However they choose not to use them for a great number of reasons. The primary reason is the safety of the owners and any family members. I would not want to be the one to alpha role a 100+ lb aggressive dog. Very scary to think about what could happen there. Another top reason is that aggression often breeds aggression and/or you are training away the dogs only warning mechinisms. If I have an agressive or fearful dog, I want to know BEFORE they bite that they may do it. I want to see the warning signs so I don't get bitten or so my children do not.

As for the Dane mentioned above. Lands! I didn't see that show. Think about the reason why a Dane would be afraid of a shiny floor. Any idea how slippery those things are? I wouldn't want to fall on that with the long legs of a Dane. I have heard from many Dane and Wolfhound owners that their dogs are afraid of those kinds of floors for a reason. They can get hurt. Why would you want to forcibly take that much needed and reasonable fear away from your dog?

lizbud
09-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Interesting article. I don't agree with the author at all, but he has his
opinion and I have mine. :)