PDA

View Full Version : Marley and Me??

coco-bean
08-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Has anyone else read that book? I got done reading it about a month and a half ago and just curious on other peoples thoughts on it? I thought it was absolutely amazing and i cried at the end!!! :(

BC_MoM
08-31-2006, 04:41 PM
I bought it a few weeks ago, but haven't read much of it as I'm in the middle of Hawkes Harbor by S.E. Hinton.

From what I've read so far though, it's a great read!

zoomer
08-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Nope... never even heard of it. What's it about?

dogzr#1
08-31-2006, 07:07 PM
It's a story about one family and all their 'adventures' with a very mischevious lap puppy. I read it this summer. Wonderful book full of laughs and some tears! Highly recommend it to any person, dog lover or not.

Suki Wingy
08-31-2006, 10:22 PM
No but I read Dear Kilroy, which I didn't really like. My favorite narrative dog book is My Dog Tulip

Corinna
09-01-2006, 12:07 AM
Read it a douple months ago LOVED it . Cried too but worth the red eyes. I think there is another thread on it here.

Luvin Labs
11-03-2006, 10:35 PM
I just got done reading this today.

I laughed

I laughed till I cried

I laughed

I cried

I laughed

and I bawled.

I have a black lab mix and o m g did that ever get to me.

Also my brother had a doggy that he had to take care of a few years ago.

:(

K9karen
11-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Yes, this keeps popping up..maybe because it's a terrific book!
Hysterically funny, poignant, you'll laugh til you cry and then cry til you laugh!

The author is a political writer for our (Phila) daily paper and has gotten more response from this book than any of his articles! He just was a recipient (as well as others)of a book award from Laura Bush because it motivated so many people to buy a book and read!! Hmmmm. who could resist the book cover????

If you haven't read it, add it to your list for Santa!

BCollie_Kelly
11-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Yes I've read it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great story! :)

shais_mom
11-03-2006, 11:27 PM
reading it now and am SURE I will cry!

chocolatepuppy
11-04-2006, 05:10 AM
I read Marley and Me. It was a good book. I wanted to read it to see if Lacey was as bad as Marley. Marley won. ;)

Alysser
11-04-2006, 07:04 AM
EXCELLENT book! I cried alot at the end though. :(

lv4dogs
11-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Thanks to our wonderful Mayor I read the book and I LOVED it. I laughed, I cried, it really hit home and caused major LES but it is well worth it. If you haven't read it you should. ;)

dappledoxie
11-04-2006, 11:58 AM
I read it quite awhile back, I loved it, very touching. :)

BC_MoM
11-04-2006, 01:43 PM
I've got a chapter or two left - so far it's be absolutely fantastic. The best written dog novel I've ever read.

GreyhoundGirl
11-04-2006, 03:55 PM
I thought it was OK, although perhaps I would have liked it more if I had read it before another dog book. (That was better )

I couldn't sleep after it, to tell you the truth. Didn't the part about the person getting killed with the chainsaw disturb you?

finn's mom
11-04-2006, 04:05 PM
I couldn't sleep after it, to tell you the truth. Didn't the part about the person getting killed with the chainsaw disturb you?

Honestly, I don't even remember that. I know I didn't have any nightmares, though, so, I'm guessing it maybe didn't disturb me too much. I loved the book. Which book did you read that you thought was better?

Miss Z
11-04-2006, 05:54 PM
I loved it, I read it a couple of months ago. I remember finishing it before I went to bed, and that night I kept thinking about the special doggie the whole book was about. It was very touching at the end.

Yes, it did a little, and the part where the girl was stabbed (or was it shot? LOL major forgetfulness here). I thought to myself how anyone could be comfortable living in close proximity to such horrific events, I know they moved in the end, but I'd have been out of there as quick as a shot! Still, the book was still great and I would recommend it :D

Zippy
11-04-2006, 07:14 PM
I love Marley and Me.I laughted and I cried.Only the best books can make you do both IMOP.

elizabethann
11-05-2006, 03:08 PM
I read it and laughed and cried throughtout it. It was a very good book.

junescrater716
11-05-2006, 03:34 PM
I heard Marley died so I didn't even bother reading it. I hate sad stories.

dab_20
11-05-2006, 03:56 PM
I thought it was a good book. I bawled at the end!

lovingpaws
11-05-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm not a reader, but I couldn't put this book down, I had to find out "what happens" (duh) but it was so beautiful, and yes you cry, but it's hard to explain not a painful depressing cry, and I don't want to say more. No spoiling no reading last page. Get this fantastic book
Now since I'm new I'll see if I can find my way around.
Have dozens of dogs, I'm the fairy dogmother,(not mine :( ) my husband & I dog sit, since we can't have pets were we live, and can't move for awhile. I'm attached to all in my care, and have been there with them in sickness & death. I had 3 goldens of my own who were a few years apart, the last one crossed rainbow bridge June 2001 and a mutt mix in my teen years.

lovingpaws
11-05-2006, 04:27 PM

Well after 13 - 14+ years mine did too, and I hate sad stories, can't even watch sad movies about dogs/animals (I hate when horses don't get up in westerns - probably why I don't care for them - Westerns! I mean) but this book I would highly recommend

borzoimom
11-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Well after 13 - 14+ years mine did too, and I hate sad stories, can't even watch sad movies about dogs/animals (I hate when horses don't get up in westerns - probably why I don't care for them - Westerns! I mean) but this book I would highly recommend
OMG LOVINGPAWS!!! IS THAT YOU????? WELCOME WELCOME!!! OMG!!!!!!

junescrater716
11-05-2006, 04:31 PM
I want to read it but I am afraid too. Lol My Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul book is all tear stained. lol WOW!!! HI LOVINGPAWS!!!!

lovingpaws
11-05-2006, 04:47 PM
I want to read it but I am afraid too. Lol My Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul book is all tear stained. lol WOW!!! HI LOVINGPAWS!!!!

my soup for dog lovers same way. I was afraid too, but I started questioning friends, I didn't care if it "ruined the ending" :D ahhhh right saying to self and I'm so glad I read it. my best friend gave me another book about a search & rescue dog/love story (not between dog human ;) ) and I grilled her like a tofu burger before I read the book, and then even read last page.
:p the stuff mentioned about chainsaws, :eek: don't remember guess I breezed over that.

Suki Wingy
11-05-2006, 07:04 PM
I think I may try it- when I'm done with all the Gregory Maguire books. :) You guys seriously need to read My Dog Tulip by J.R. Ackerley (http://www.amazon.com/Tulip-York-Review-Books-Classics/dp/0940322110)

GreyhoundGirl
11-05-2006, 07:10 PM
I loved it, I read it a couple of months ago. I remember finishing it before I went to bed, and that night I kept thinking about the special doggie the whole book was about. It was very touching at the end.

Yes, it did a little, and the part where the girl was stabbed (or was it shot? LOL major forgetfulness here). I thought to myself how anyone could be comfortable living in close proximity to such horrific events, I know they moved in the end, but I'd have been out of there as quick as a shot! Still, the book was still great and I would recommend it :D

It wasn't the stabbing that bothered me. Nor the elderly dieing under the matress. It was the person getting chopped up with the chainsaw, than the bits of obdy being left in the trunk. :eek:

The book I read before that I prefered was Sister To The Wolf. This is the best book I've read, I would highly reccomend it to everyone. It's by Maxine Trottier.

Karen
11-05-2006, 07:14 PM

It isn't a sad story though. Not in the least. Yes, Marley does die, but it is in old age, he doesn't die tragically or anything! And it is a great book, well worth reading.

shais_mom
11-06-2006, 11:28 AM
I just got to the part where the wife had PostPartum and I wanted to reach in and throttle her. She made me so mad. I was glad that only lasted a chapter.
The part where the girl was stabbed gave me goosebumps!