PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognise this snake?

beeniesmom
08-31-2006, 01:47 PM
It was in my front yard yesterday.
I was just curious if it was poisonous.
He is still in my mulch bed.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f189/frankiesmom/snake.jpg

Blue_Frog
08-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Maybe one of these?

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/FL-GUIDE/Nerodiataxispilota.htm (brown water snake)

If not, heres a list of a lot of the snakes in Florida (it says Fl under your name, I guess Florida?)

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/FL-GUIDE/fl-snakeslist.htm

:)

*edited to add the link. durr! *

beeniesmom
08-31-2006, 02:28 PM
I don't know.
It was red and black, with diamond like red marks on it's back.
I looked at some websites too last night and couldn't figure out what it is.

CathyBogart
08-31-2006, 02:30 PM
I can tell you right off the bat it's not poisonous, there is only one snake in the world that is poisonous, and that's the yellow-bellied sea snake.

It looks like an Eastern Hognose, one of my personal favorites. They eat mostly frogs, and they're not venomous. In fact, if you tried to pick it up, it would most likely play dead to avoid being eaten by you.:)

beeniesmom
08-31-2006, 02:34 PM
I can tell you right off the bat it's not poisonous, there is only one snake in the world that is poisonous, and that's the yellow-bellied sea snake.

It looks like an Eastern Hognose, one of my personal favorites. They eat mostly frogs, and they're not venomous. In fact, if you tried to pick it up, it would most likely play dead to avoid being eaten by you.:)

OK, I have a lot of frogs in my yard lately so you are probably right.
Thanks. I was just worried for my dogs. If it was poisonous, I'd just call someone to get and take it in the woods.

lv4dogs
08-31-2006, 03:15 PM

Only ONE? I could of sworn there was more, like the rattlesnakes, copperheads, coral snakes, cottonmouths?

Don't mean to scare you Carmin, I don't htink what you have is any of those, but I can be certain either. I just thought there was more than one poisonous snake in the world.

lv4dogs
08-31-2006, 03:16 PM
Carmin, here's a site with all of Florida's poisonous snakes listed:
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/FL-GUIDE/Venomsnk.htm

christa
08-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Okay, first of all, poisonous or not . . . I just shivered!!! :eek:

What? I don't know my snakes . . . but . . . what? That doesn't make sense.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-31-2006, 04:34 PM
I believe it's a mud snake. They're known to poking people with their tails, but never bite. Justin and I saw one not too long ago and indeed it tried to poke Justin with it's tail. It was such an odd thing to watch.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-31-2006, 04:42 PM
Only ONE? I could of sworn there was more, like the rattlesnakes, copperheads, coral snakes, cottonmouths?
Poisonous and venomous are differant. Things that you breathe in or swollow are poisonous. Venom does damage when injected into your skin. You can breathe in venom and it will do no harm.

CathyBogart
08-31-2006, 04:48 PM
You can eat a rattlesnake, so it's not poisonous. However, if it bites you it can be dangerous, so it is venomous. The onyl snake in the world that will make you sick if you eat it is the yellow-bellied sea snake, and if I remember correctly they are also rear-fanged venomous....

It's most likely not a mudsnake. Mudsnakes are solid colored on top and striped in the belly. Also, mudsnakes are glossy, and this snake has matte scales. They're both COOL little sankes, mudsnakes and hognoses, with neat behaviors.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-31-2006, 04:59 PM
I just looked through one of Justin's books and it could be a water snake. I thought they were brown snakes, but according to the book they have black phases and may be reddish or white banded.

It's most likely not a mudsnake. Mudsnakes are solid colored on top and striped in the belly. Also, mudsnakes are glossy, and this snake has matte scales. They're both COOL little sankes, mudsnakes and hognoses, with neat behaviors.
I looked at the mud snakes in the book too, and you're right, the red is on the belly and up the sides slightly, but doesn't go all around.

The_Duck
08-31-2006, 05:08 PM
I havn't a clue as to what it is, but he sure is cute. :p

beeniesmom
09-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses.
When I wrote poisonous, I meant venomous. Sorry. :o
I haven't seen the bugger this morning.
I hope he went into someone elses yard.

lv4dogs
09-01-2006, 10:10 AM
You can eat a rattlesnake, so it's not poisonous. However, if it bites you it can be dangerous, so it is venomous. The onyl snake in the world that will make you sick if you eat it is the yellow-bellied sea snake, and if I remember correctly they are also rear-fanged venomous....

Oops, sorry. I guess I confused myself or somthing. lol I knew the difference between venomous & poisonous. I guess I was kind of talking about all kinds of poison, venom or actual poison.
I knew you ment venomous Carmen, it must of been the ESP. :p

smokey the elder
09-01-2006, 10:15 AM
I thought it looked like a corn snake, but whatever it is I don't think the fellow is venomous.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Isn't that Hissing Sid?

http://www.and1e.freeserve.co.uk/gateway/beakyandtheband.htm