PDA

View Full Version : Special Needs Neurological Baby - "Sahara" UPDATE vet visit!!!

kimlovescats
08-29-2006, 09:33 PM
I finally decided on a name for this baby girl! It shall be Sahara! I figured this would be good since she is a sand color! ;)

This is the rescue that they suspected was blind or possibly had neurological problems. Well, she is definitely NOT blind .... but she does walk in circles a lot and sometimes takes a few steps backwards! She runs and plays with the others, and everything else seems normal. I truly think she has either neurological damage or inner-ear problems. I did clean quite a few earmites out of her ears tonight .... don't know if that has contributed to an inner ear infection or not. :confused:

I have a vet appointment for my Dexter to get a Depo shot tomorrow, so I will take Miss Sahara along with me. Hopefully they will have time to do a quick assessment of her condition! Wish us luck!

Here are a few pics, excuse her dirty face ... she's still a messy eater! ;)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Sahara/IMG_1478.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Sahara/Img_1545.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Sahara/Img_1537.jpg

This is her guarding her food as her sister approached the food bowl! :D
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Sahara/Img_1511.jpg

Kim

Laura's Babies
08-29-2006, 09:41 PM
I thought it looked like she was protecting her food.. That is an adoreable, dirty little face she has and she looks fierce protecting her viddles. That little face is just sooooo cute to me.

Lizzie
08-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Very, very cute, especially when she is protecting her food.

Many years ago, I rescued an abandoned cat (one eyed, jaw injury, starving to death) that turned out to have a very severe ear infection and he turned round and round in circles. I'd never seen that before or since, but then I'd never dealt with a cat in such poor condition before. The first vet I took him to shook his head and said he thought it was a brain tumor, nothing to be done. Fortunately, I didn't trust him.

Is she otherwise coordinated, Kim?

kimlovescats
08-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Very, very cute, especially when she is protecting her food.

Many years ago, I rescued an abandoned cat (one eyed, jaw injury, starving to death) that turned out to have a very severe ear infection and he turned round and round in circles. I'd never seen that before or since, but then I'd never dealt with a cat in such poor condition before. The first vet I took him to shook his head and said he thought it was a brain tumor, nothing to be done. Fortunately, I didn't trust him.

Is she otherwise coordinated, Kim?

YES, she will run around and chase the other kittens, then some times she seems a bit dazed ... she'll move her head from side to side, or turn in circles several times in a row! Some times she takes a step or two backwards and then spins. Poor girl makes ME dizzy just watching her! :( Like I said, I got lots of ear mites particularly out of her right ear ... maybe she just has a really bad ear infection that is making her off balance??? Hopefully tomorrow I can find out something!

Kim

Reachoutrescue
08-30-2006, 01:13 AM
Good luck at the vet. Please keep us posted. The kitten is adorable!!

Killearn Kitties
08-30-2006, 01:52 AM
Good luck today with little Sahara. What a beautiful baby.

CultureJunky
08-30-2006, 05:10 AM
What a sweet littel girl, she's wonderful. Hopefully her problems will be related to something that can be fixed. I love the pictures of her, please post more when you have time, she's gorgeous ;)

jenluckenbach
08-30-2006, 05:12 AM
She is such a lovley color. :) Good luck at the vet.

catlover4ever
08-30-2006, 07:42 AM
That dirty face is adorable. :)

sirrahbed
08-30-2006, 08:06 AM
Sahara is really a cutie and I also love the color of her fur. Hope the vet has a chance to peek into her ears today. Maybe it is an infection like Lizzie mentioned - hope so!

zoey
08-30-2006, 08:24 AM
She is a beautiful girl! Oh my heart be still! :D

catmandu
08-30-2006, 09:39 AM
What a Super Sweet Happy Kitten you have there Kim, and we are going to have a wonderful time watching this Unique Wonderful Little Face grow up.
Another Gold Star beside your name Kim, for giving Sahara such a Good Furr Ever Home.

kimlovescats
08-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Just back from vet with Sahara! As I suspected, she is NOT BLIND and she DOES have terrible earmites, which I felt was probably the cause of her erratic behaviour! The vet is not 100% that is all that is causing her to walk in circles, but from the looks on the culture slide, it certainly could be! We treated her with the one dose Ivermectin and so time will tell if her circle walking goes away! ;)

krazyaboutkatz
08-30-2006, 11:45 AM
She sure is a cutie pie and I love her name.:) I hope that the medicine will work. Good luck.:)

kimlovescats
08-30-2006, 04:35 PM
*bump* for update since vet visit today ;)

Russian Blue
08-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Hoping the drugs work on this little one. I can't imagine it's fun going in circles for a good part of the day. Sending many 'stop the circle walking' vibes Sahara's way! I love that name. ;)

QueenScoopalot
08-30-2006, 07:24 PM
KIM I'm in love with that messy faced sweetheart! I'm sooo glad that you were close by to get her and save her from who knows what. :( Do her pupils dilate when a light's shined in them? If the vet suspected inner ear infection, I'm surprised Sahara wasn't put on Clavamox to help clear her up if infection is present. Ivermectin only kills parasites...but doesn't do anything for infection. She is such a beauty..is she a keeper? I can't even figure out what type Siamese mix she is! Flame Lynx-Point? would be my guess. ;) :confused: Kisses to the babies, and big ((HUGS)) to you! :)

jenluckenbach
08-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Hopefully when her ear problems go away she will walk better. And it is so good to know that she is NOT blind. :D

momcat
08-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Talk about turning into mush on the floor! That dirty little face just added to the industrial strength cuteness overload. She is beyond adorable! Sahara looks so happy in each of the pictures, the second one is priceless with her big smile. Please tell us Sahara is going to be a PT kitty!!??!!??!!??!!?????

Many prayers are being prayed that your visit to the vet will show no serious problem for Sahara and both of your wonderful companions get a clean bill of health. Please let us know how it goes?

kimlovescats
08-30-2006, 08:05 PM
YES, Sahara is a keeper ... not going to break my promise to her now that I know she isn't blind!!! ;) She still needs a loving home, and she has it here with me!!! :) We think she had such terrible earmites that the discomfort alone was causing her circling about .... we will just give it a few days and see if that improves.

Jan, I just call her a lynx-point siamese ... but I'm not that educated on all of the different markings! ;)

Oh, YES her pupils did react to a flashlight in the dark .... absolutely purrfectly! :D

Laura's Babies
08-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Great news! I am keeping fingers crossed for that little dirthy faced sweetheart that the ear mites were the cause of her odd walking and that she will get better at walking.

CultureJunky
08-31-2006, 05:31 AM
Aww sahara those nasty mites must be so annoying, but soon they will be all gone and you will feel so much better and your ears won't hurt anymore.
Get well soon little one, and we all want to see lovely pictures of you as you grow up ;)

momcat
08-31-2006, 05:14 PM
YES, Sahara is a keeper ... not going to break my promise to her now that I know she isn't blind!!! ;) She still needs a loving home, and she has it here with me!!! :) :D
I'm thrilled to hear that Sahara has the best furever home any kitty could hope for! She'll be loved, cared for, spoiled a bit(?), and will furever be safe and warm. With you, the sweetie with the dirty face will never have to be afraid of anything and her every need will be taken care of. Sahara is one lucky baby to have found you!!!

Welcome to the PT family, Sahara! As Groucho often says, "Every kitty should be a PT kitty!"

Kim, would you give that little darling some scritchies and tummy rubs from me? Doesn't matter if her face is dirty, that just adds to the cuteness.....

kimlovescats
08-31-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm thrilled to hear that Sahara has the best furever home any kitty could hope for! She'll be loved, cared for, spoiled a bit(?), and will furever be safe and warm. With you, the sweetie with the dirty face will never have to be afraid of anything and her every need will be taken care of. Sahara is one lucky baby to have found you!!!

Welcome to the PT family, Sahara! As Groucho often says, "Every kitty should be a PT kitty!"

Kim, would you give that little darling some scritchies and tummy rubs from me? Doesn't matter if her face is dirty, that just adds to the cuteness.....

Thank you so much, and YES I will pass along your scritchies and tummy rubs! ;)

Kim

QueenScoopalot
08-31-2006, 08:18 PM
YES, Sahara is a keeper ... not going to break my promise to her now that I know she isn't blind!!! ;) She still needs a loving home, and she has it here with me!!! :) We think she had such terrible earmites that the discomfort alone was causing her circling about .... we will just give it a few days and see if that improves.

Jan, I just call her a lynx-point siamese ... but I'm not that educated on all of the different markings! ;)

Oh, YES her pupils did react to a flashlight in the dark .... absolutely purrfectly! :D
YIPPY!!!!!!!!! ~JUMPING FOR JOY~ Sahara has to be one of the most gorgeous little babies that I've ever done seen! And she's a Flame Lynx-point lol! I hope those buggies quit buggin' her. Did the vet mention possible cerebellar hypoplasia to you as the cause of her imbalance? :confused: Misty my lil' old girl was born with brain damage, but not the typical CH (caused by distemper in the mom cat while carrying the litter). Vets & I theorised that she was stuck in the birth canal and suffered oxygen loss. She swirls in circles and can barely walk a straight line. Is Sahara similar? :confused: Please kiss that sweet little face for me! Dirt & all..I'd do it! :D

kimlovescats
08-31-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks, Jan! I thought the Flame Lynx was red or "orange" .... Sahara is the grayish - taupe color. Maybe she looks more red in the picture? It doesn't matter any way ... she's HOME! :D

The vet that saw her, is fresh out of vet school ... I hardly ever get to see my original vet anymore! :( I'm not sure she knows much about neurological problems. Sahara walks more normal than she does in circles, and some times she takes a few steps backwards then goes in circles. But then she can run across the room with no problems. It's erratic. I'm guessing that whatever it its, it's not too bad and probably nothing can be done about it anyway. Time will tell, I suppose.

Kim