PDA

View Full Version : Abused dog update...

Glacier
08-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Remember a few months ago when I witnessed that dog being dragged behind a car. Well, last week I was served with a notice to appear to testify against his abuser. Court was supposed to be in 3 weeks. I just got a call from the crown prosecuter. The abuser has changed her plea to guilty! She had the sharpest lawyer in town hired, but I guess even he can recognize a no-win case when he sees one! Unfortunately, the punishment isn't nearly enough--a fine and a two year ban on owning any breathing creatures, but it's better than nothing. She would have got the same sentance even if it had gone to court anyway as that's the maximum allowed under our current legislation. I might still have to go to court as the RCMP charged with her impaired driving that same night based on eye witness testimony. That matter is being heard seperately. If convicted of that, she'll get a much stiffer punishment than she did for dragging the dog!

The most important part is the dog is safe. His name is Nytron and he has my father-in-law wrapped around his big, black & tan paws!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/nytronlake.jpg
About the worst thing that will ever happen to him from now is that he'll have to stay with me occasionally. I'm not home all day to throw his tennis ball for him! My fil is retired and can throw the tennis ball as much as Nytron wants!

My Peanuts
08-29-2006, 05:58 PM
These punishments never fit the crimes. Animals need more rights in my opinion. At least she got something though. I'm glad Nytron is doing well.

This may be harsh, but I think animal abusers should get punished with the same thing they abused the animal with. In "Diana's" world this woman would be dragged behind a car. Maybe if they feel what they made the animal go through then they would truely stop wha tthey are doing. Just my opinion.

Animals are innocent and react out of instinct, people aren't innocent.

k9krazee
08-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Yeah, the punishments should definitely be harsher. Lets home she gets covicted with the impaired driving too!!

Sweet Sixy
08-29-2006, 06:06 PM
I agree that the punishments are never harsh enough. The guy who had my pup and caused him two broken ribs only got a small fine and a couple years he was told he couldn't own an animal. I think that's ridiculous for making a poor innocent creature endure something like that.

On the bright side Nytro is beautiful and I am so glad he found a happy forever home!

Ginger's Mom
08-29-2006, 06:12 PM
I missed the initial thread (actually, I think I may have been afraid to read it), but have pretty good idea as to Nytron's story and what at least for him is a happy ending. But, as to this woman, is that sentence really enforceable? How can you really keep someone from owning/obtaining a pet. *sigh* Why not plead when all you are going to get is a fine? At least things worked out well for Nytron. :)

elizabethann
08-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks so much for the update.

Glacier
08-29-2006, 06:42 PM
But, as to this woman, is that sentence really enforceable? How can you really keep someone from owning/obtaining a pet. *sigh* Why not plead when all you are going to get is a fine? At least things worked out well for Nytron. :)

In a place this small, it is enforceable. The by-law officer told me they are out there on a regular basis due to other issues so they will be able to enforce the ban. In a larger place, I don't know how you'd enforce that kind of sentance.

Ginger's Mom
08-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Good, I am glad they are keeping an eye on her.

Bengalz
08-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Once again, kudos to you for stepping in - otherwise Nytron may not have the good life now that he has always deserved.

Nytron looks awesome and such a happy smile! He should be so lucky as to camp out with his "aunt" from time to time :D Your fil, yourself and Stuart (not to mention all those gorgeous doggies and kitties of yours) will make his life the best it can be. Congratulations on a job well done.

Betty

PS. Punishment may be enforced justifiably (or not) - this will never excuse the abuse that Nytron has experienced. People who treat any creature badly will never change - it's a sad truth. Going forward, making Nytron's world a better place is the most important task - he need not be a victim any longer.

cyber-sibes
08-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Glad to hear that she changed her plea to guilty -- I can't imagine doing anything so stupid and denying it for one minute. Doesn't seem like enough of a punishment, but as you noted, she still has other charges pending that may land her butt in jail or at least cost her a pretty penny.
Nytron looks so happy - and thanks to you & your fil, now he never has to worry about being abused again! :)

captain
08-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for keeping us posted on it .............. your FIL and you are Nytron's saviours!!! :D

Corinna
08-29-2006, 11:14 PM
I just love seeing this nice bouys photo. So glad your FIL fell in love I thought he might be one of the happy guys in your yard. I guess he is sometimes. At least she got some kind of sentence around here they do nothing.

Queen of Poop
08-30-2006, 08:43 AM
Changing her plea was the first smart thing this woman has done. Hopefully they get her on the impaired and put her away from some actual time. Thank you for caring and finding Nytron the happy life he so deserves.

moosmom
08-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Glacier,

I am so relieved that your fil and Nytron have found each other. I hope they find alot more against that piece of $hit that did that horrible thing to Nytron and throw the book at her. :mad:

lizbud
08-30-2006, 10:17 AM
He looks great now & very happy. I'm so happy Nytron is in a good home
now. He deserves it. :)

Dorothy39
08-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Glacier,

Because of you, the dog has a name, and a place to call home. I am so happy for Nytron and your Father-in -Law!!!

As for the crazy woman, who was dragging this dog behind her car, wrecklessly, I pray that she is served with the stiffest penalty.

lv4dogs
08-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the update. I agree with the others, seems the punishment never fit the crime. At least there is a happy ending. :D