PDA

View Full Version : Mike's new job...partners in a holistic pet food store!

mugsy
08-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Hi all,
Most of you don't know me since I rarely post anymore, but, for the old timers...Mike has a different job. He quit the factory in April and started working at the pet food store where we buy our food. He is now a partner in the business and probably within 5 or 6 years the store will be his.

We carry 19 of the top 30 brands of dog food as rated by Whole Dog Journal and it's awesome! We have the cat version of most of them as well. We even have the frozen raw diet by Nature's Variety. We have both wild and domestic bird feed and feeders, dog beds, toys, treats, etc (and cats). We have goat food, horse feed, guinea pig, hamster, chinchilla, pot belly pig, chicken, duck, ferret, and rabbit food....

He is have an absolute ball! He's doing the ordering, going to trade shows, and counseling people on the best food for their animal and does some training tips and behavioral stuff.

The name of the store is: Perfect Pet Food and Accessories and is here in Fort Wayne.

Laura's Babies
08-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Wow! Sounds like a great, fun job! (Any job in a pet store has to be fun!)

beeniesmom
08-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Great news!
Got any free samples for Beenie and Frankie?

Karen
08-29-2006, 11:30 AM
That sounds perfect! :) Congratulations to both of you - okay, the whole household, as I am sure he has some willing "volunteers" to taste-test, or test-play with anything he brings home!

4 Dog Mother
08-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Congratulations! What great news! Loving dogs the way you two do this is right up his alley. And I am sure he is very excited to get out of the factory. Good luck to both of you on this new venture!

ramanth
08-29-2006, 02:41 PM
WOW!!! Congrats to Mike (and you!). :D

lv4dogs
08-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Thats great news!!!! :D I bet that's a fun job!!!

mugsy
08-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Oh we free sample people to death!! That's how Mike gets people to buy the food...he gives them samples of 5 or 6 different foods and tells them to take them home and put them all in separate dishes and let them decide which food they want....and you know...they always come back clutching a bag saying their dog loved the food! :)

So.....let us know what kind you are interested in and an address and we'll send them out!

cyber-sibes
08-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Congratulations, sounds very exciting! Nothing better than working at something you love!

Barbara
08-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi Mugsy, nice to see you're back. The job sounds great. Hope you both are ok :)

Logan
08-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Molly, this is great news!!!!!!! :) I'm glad Mike is so happy and you sound good, too!!!! :D

Now, remind me if I have misspelled your name!!!! :o I never know whether it is "y" or "ie". Sorry! :o

lizbud
08-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Well, congrats to you both. :) I hope the new venture is a huge success.

animal_rescue
08-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Oh wow! Next time I go down to Ft. Wayne with my aunt I'll definitely check the place out!! :D

Kfamr
08-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Molly, it sounds like Mike is doing my dream job! Tell him congratulations from The Muttlies and I - they said they'd love free samples too. ;)

I love out holistic pet food store, they give out samples too. I use them as treats since mine eat raw and a mixture of TimberWolf Organics. Do you carry TimberWolf? It's an awesome food!

Cincy'sMom
08-29-2006, 07:33 PM
What a great and fun oppertunity! I hope it continues to go well for both you! Good to see you poasting again too...hope you'll stick around (and update us on that great fur-family of yours)

Cinder & Smoke
08-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Whttp://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gifW! ~ CONGRATS to

Mike & Molly !!

Bet the FurKids are happy about this, too!
Do some of them get to "go to work with Dad" ??

Wishing you The BEST with the New Business!!

{{{Hugs}}} from Phred & my FurKids

Roxyluvsme13
08-29-2006, 08:19 PM
I'll take some samples of any kind.. ;). That sounds like an absolutely awesome job! :D

mugsy
08-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Logan, yes, you spelled it correctly! ;)

Kay, we are going to START carrying Timberwolf...it is rated in the top 30 brands by Whole Dog Journal.

My personal favorites are Merrick's Wilderness Blend (Buffalo, Venison, and Salmon meal) and Solid Gold....anything....

For cats, Innova Evo sells like crazy even though it's the most expensive. We have a friend who switched her cats off of Flint River Ranch to the Evo and they love it.

Thanks all!!

PS Amy: the kids are good, although Sox ended up at the emergency vet Friday night and was given a 50% chance at survival with hemorragic gastroenderitis. She is recovering slowly. Today was the first time she's eaten with any sort of gusto and have any kind of energy...Mike just hates the egg farts! :eek:

Kfamr
08-29-2006, 09:36 PM
That's awesome.. TWO is hard to find. It's such a great food though, obviously my first choice. ;) I feed mine the Ocean Blue formula.

Corinna
08-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Congrats Mike. Glad to see you here again Mugsy

shais_mom
08-29-2006, 11:41 PM
good to see you posting again Molly!
Congrats to Mike and you!
I get the Whole Dog Journal and LOVE it -
I also get the cat version - Catnip
WDJ does a lot more with food info etc then Catnip.
When I start rattling off things about dog food people look at me like :eek: and I always say 'WHOLE DOG JOURNAL!'
:)

Daisy and Delilah
08-30-2006, 07:25 AM
Congratulations to you guys!! Nothing could be better than going to a job you really love like this one. It sounds great!! :)

mugsy
08-30-2006, 07:38 AM
OH YEAH!!! There IS a version of WDJ for cats!! You said, though, that it doesn't do much with the rating of cat foods? Mike basically just brought in the cat variety of all the rated dog foods and hoped for the best... :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Hello Molly!!! Long time no see!! Congrats with the new job!!
He he, what is the shortest way from here to Fort Wayne :confused:

cyber-sibes
08-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Those foods sounds really good. The pet store here doesn't carry anything too interesting, at least I've never seen the brands you mentioned. Do you carry Yummie Chummie treats? Or can you get them? I would really like to try that Wilderness blend - sounds like something my two would love. Hmm, Ft. Wayne is only a couple hours from here...

shais_mom
08-30-2006, 10:44 AM
OH YEAH!!! There IS a version of WDJ for cats!! You said, though, that it doesn't do much with the rating of cat foods? Mike basically just brought in the cat variety of all the rated dog foods and hoped for the best... :)
yup
it is produced by Cummings University/Tufts University also.

http://www.tufts.edu/vet/publications/catnip/

mugsy
08-30-2006, 11:41 AM
We would LOVE to see PTers at the store!! That would be great!

We are having an open house on September 30 to introduce us as the Ft Wayne Nutrena (big in the horse world) dealer and there will be specials on Nutrena, etc. I am hoping we can make it a lot of fun. We do have dogs visit the shop so if you want to bring your pooch feel free (there is no place to let them run, however).

As far as distance....we have friends that live in South Bend (2 hours) that drive down to get their Wilderness Blend from us....they let us know and Mike orders extra for them. Right now, Merrick has a deal that with the big bag (30 pounds for $49.99) you get a case of 12 cans free ($24 value).

Here's their website: http://www.merrickpetcare.com/

Solid Gold has great stuff too and their website is: http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/

Ok, you guys have made get excited about all of this again!! :D :D :D

mugsy
08-30-2006, 11:49 AM
OOPS...I missed some...

Yummie Chummies I've never heard of, but, could check for you and if any of Mike's suppliers have them, he can look at getting some. Are they holistic?

As far as Ghent goes...hmmmm...I tried to Mapquest it but it wouldn't work! ;) It's about 650 miles from NYC to the store and that's about 11 hours...so...I guess you would have to fly to NYC and then get yourself here! Or, just fly here! lol

mugsy
08-31-2006, 06:48 AM
I forgot to tell you all who asked for samples:

Our distributor that sends up Merrick has neglected to send us samples now for over a month and we're getting rather cranky about it. As soon as we get the Wilderness Blend samples in, I will do what I can to get some out to the people who requested them. So, if you don't get them for awhile, please bear with me...I'm at the mercy of the distributor (who can't find their way out of a bucket).

beeniesmom
08-31-2006, 08:36 AM
I forgot to tell you all who asked for samples:

Our distributor that sends up Merrick has neglected to send us samples now for over a month and we're getting rather cranky about it. As soon as we get the Wilderness Blend samples in, I will do what I can to get some out to the people who requested them. So, if you don't get them for awhile, please bear with me...I'm at the mercy of the distributor (who can't find their way out of a bucket).

Oh thanks!