PDA

View Full Version : How do i make my dream come true?

coco-bean
08-29-2006, 10:31 AM
I would like to open my own no-kill shelter! can anyone help me on getting started?

ryan3757
08-29-2006, 11:01 AM
That's a great idea! I think theres at least one member on here with the same idea. I'd suggest getting a lisence for it... then buy a building/the property... then i'm not sure, but i'm thinking it requires a lisence.

coco-bean
08-29-2006, 11:17 AM
im sure it prolly does require a license but im not sure where to get it or who to talk to about it!?!

beeniesmom
08-29-2006, 11:22 AM
I am sure you need substantial funds before opening a similar structure.
I am sure you can get more info at your local city hall. Ask about what kind of permits you need as well as the building requirements and personnel requirements. good luck.

coco-bean
08-29-2006, 11:32 AM
thank you all....im just new to all this stuff! Im learning though!

IRescue452
08-29-2006, 04:09 PM
Money money money

You'll need:
permit (?$/year) + possible building permit
kennels or runs for safety and control ($100/each perhaps)
shelters if they are outdoor runs
extra fencing perhaps for yard (?)
bowls ($1 per bowl, 2 bowls per dog generally)
towels for cleaning (2 dozen at $3 per= $72)
paper towels
bleach ($5/month)
jungle jake ($5/month if you are lucky)
dish soap and laundry detergent
doggie first aid kit
washer and dryer or almost daily use of
blankets for dogs
brushes, nail clippers, flea treatments, poop scoop and other necessities
food (as much as $30/month per dog)

also vet bills and possible staff- remember you will have no other life. Dogs don't get put on hold for vacations and holidays. You can't just go off somewhere if you don't have a trusted person who knows how to do the job to take your place. Remember also that if you plan to be no-kill you will run up more vet bills. If a dog comes in that is in so much pain it SHOULDN'T be kept alive, you'll have to have a vet put it down. That's what no kill shelters do. Please don't become a crazy collector that thinks they are doing more good than harm.