PDA

View Full Version : Ernesto

Kfamr
08-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Brace yourself southerners... Here comes Ernesto!
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/pt_BR/tropical/strm5_strike_720x486.jpg

We still gotta see where he's going but we're in the "cone."
Fellow Floridians... start checking in this week! Let us know you're okay.

slick
08-28-2006, 07:30 PM
You know what Kay?? I was watching the news last night and thought about starting a prayer thread for you folks down there. The last I heard was that it would hit the West Coast of Florida. Of course, I've been at work all day so don't know the latest. Thanks for posting that map. Last night they were saying that if it passes by the mountains (?) of Cuba, then it will lose strength by the time it hits Florida...at least I think that's what they said. :o

Prayers to all of you. Please stay safe and check in.

Karen
08-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Gosh, I hadn't seen that particular projected path, but it seems whichever forecast I look at, he's headed your way, Kay, so thanks for starting this thread. You'll all be in our prayers.

k9krazee
08-28-2006, 08:26 PM
:eek: Stay safe everyone!!

Dorothy39
08-28-2006, 08:32 PM
My Daughter and Son-In -Law live near Orlando!!!! :eek:

so, You know where I stand when the word "Hurricane" is viewable on Weather.com!!! :eek:

Ernesto, I know that name !!!!!!!! I am keeping an eye on that one, and , I am praying , full throttle!!!!!

I haven't seen that projected path either!!!!!!

Zippy
08-28-2006, 08:52 PM
I hate hurricanes :mad: it looks like the tampa/st.pete area will be hit :(

Logan
08-28-2006, 09:18 PM
I don't think anyone in a coastal state in the southeast will be spared this one, for sure. But, Florida will take the worst hit. Kay, I hope everything will be ok. Please keep us posted as you can.

Logan

wolf_Q
08-28-2006, 09:27 PM
I hope everyone will be ok, stay safe!!

luvofallhorses
08-28-2006, 09:28 PM
please stay safe everyone! ((hugs))

kt_luvs_kitties
08-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Everyone PLEASE keep yourself and PETS safe!!!

I live in a modular and will be staying with my parents with all 7 cats on thursday and friday until it is safe to return home.

I will be praying for everyone involved. GO AWAY ERNESTO!!!

K9karen
08-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Hey, Logan, last I heard tonight was that he was heading for the Carolinas and we may be getting flooding rains this weekend. Hope not. Thinking of you all in Ernesto's path and praying you and your pets stay safe.

Pam
08-29-2006, 06:14 AM
My brother-in-law in the Keys is supposed to get it tonight. He is staying put. They say that we will probably feel it up here at the Jersey shore by the weekend, although I am sure it will have worn itself out by then.

Russian Blue
08-29-2006, 07:39 AM
Stay safe everyone!!

Here's a question for anyone living in Florida. Since you live in a hurricane prone area, how do insurance companies handle that? Are you able to get full coverage? Do they say it's an act of God and won't be covered? Just curious since I'm not familiar with anyone who lives in such an area and wondered if you pay higher rates or do not have full coverage?

pitc9
08-29-2006, 08:06 AM
I hope everyone makes it through okay!
Prayers to you all!
Looks like I'll be getting the rain Sunday or Monday unless he changes his path and hooks a quick Right back out into the ocean!

sirrahbed
08-29-2006, 08:17 AM
Good idea Kay. I have also been following the news closely and wondering how our PT Floridians are doing.

I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-29-2006, 08:28 AM
From what I've heard it's not a strong storm and we're mostly going to get a lot of rain.

Stay safe everyone!!

Here's a question for anyone living in Florida. Since you live in a hurricane prone area, how do insurance companies handle that? Are you able to get full coverage? Do they say it's an act of God and won't be covered? Just curious since I'm not familiar with anyone who lives in such an area and wondered if you pay higher rates or do not have full coverage?
Before the 4 hurricanes hit Florida in 2004 insurance companies were much kinder to us. In 2004 my parents lost their roof, their fence, and their pool enclosure. Their insurance covered it all (after the deductibles). Because there were so many claims it took forever to get the insurance company to come and assess the damage. Once the insurance company assessed the damage they gave my parents half the amount up front and after they repaired everything the insurance company came back and gave them a check for the rest of the amount. That way people don't say "I want to replace my fence and pool enclosure" then pocket the money and not repair it.

My friend lost her whole home, she lived in an older manufactured home and it was totally destroyed. Between her insurance company and FEMA she received money for her home and a little money to help for time she was displaced (to rent an apartment or a hotel room). She received a fair amount for her losses, but the amount didn't come close to what she needed to replace everything with new. She had to have her old home removed and she bought a new manufactured home. There was a lot of costly permits and inspections that come with doing that. She had already been living paycheck to paycheck and then needed to take out a loan and make payments on that. Luckily she has her parents to help her.

My husband and I had very minimal damage and decided not to mess with the insurance but rather just fix it ourselves. It wasn't worth the hassle.

The insurance companies were pretty good to everyone then. Many small insurance companies went bankrupt after that, and many larger companies stopped insuring Florida. The insurance companies that were left changed their policies after that. Rates and deductibles increased.

gemini9961
08-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Checking in with everyone and all is well. It's sunny with blue skies right now. Haven't seen the latest news so I'm am not real sure what he's doing out there.

Ginger's Mom
08-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Prayers and good thoughts going out for everyone in Florida.

beeniesmom
08-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Here we go again.

ramanth
08-29-2006, 02:47 PM
We're leaving for Atlanta Wednesday night. Hopefully they only get a bit of rain.

Everyone stay safe!

Roxyluvsme13
08-29-2006, 06:33 PM
:eek: It hits my little pointy corner of TN! They're saying big storms are coming in very soon on the news as I type this.. Roxy's in my room for safety. I hope everyone stays safe :(.

Cincy'sMom
08-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Stay Safe Florida!! (all all the others it will get to eventually)

cyber-sibes
08-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Got an emergency pack with pet supplies all lined up? Of course you do, you're a PTer! Will keep you all in our prayers - stay safe!

Logan
08-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Sounds like it will not be as bad as what we feared. Thank goodness!!! :)

I know there will still be lots of rain and mess from the storm.

Be careful, Floridians!

Logan

areias
08-29-2006, 11:11 PM
It looks to be only a tropical storm, hopefully. But they are saying 5-10 inches of rain. Not fun! I just moved into a mobile home too. :o Hopefully it won't be too bad. Good luck to all the rest of you down here!

Got an emergency pack with pet supplies all lined up? Of course you do, you're a PTer! Will keep you all in our prayers - stay safe!

Of course! And the first thought in my mind is not "where will I go?" it is "I'm not going anywhere without my pets!".

slick
08-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Just checking in to see if everyone is OK....