PDA

View Full Version : Need brief foster home, N.Y. or Pennsylvania

Lizzie
08-28-2006, 05:14 PM
I am adopting this cat that Melissa posted about earlier today:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote...i?petid=6892396

I have posted a request to the trucking network, hoping that I can get her to me that way (it's free). I'm prepared to meet the cost of a Kitty Hawk Cargo fare for her if I have to (about $300). Is there anyone in the New York or Pennsylvania area that can foster this cat for a few weeks? It would need to be someone who understands her needs, as you can see from the posting on her.

I would really appreciate help in getting this cat of broken promises to me.

Thank you.

catmandu
08-28-2006, 05:29 PM
We hope that there will be somebody that can help that poor Cat.

Laura's Babies
08-28-2006, 06:44 PM
The link is not working for me....??? :confused:

Lizzie
08-28-2006, 06:46 PM
It was working this afternoon. I hope, hope, hope that the rescue pulled it when I left a message for Lucille about an hour ago. I'll call her now and find out.

Edited to add that now I don't have her phone number because I used the one on PetFinder. I can't remember the name of the organization either. :(

doolittleky
08-28-2006, 06:48 PM
it took me three tries to get it

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6892396

Lizzie
08-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Thank you again, Melissa. Now I can enjoy a cuppa before I call her.

I'm really looking forward to giving this cat the calm, quiet, stranger-free environment that she needs. Hopefully she will do all her litter box stuff on newspaper on linoleum, as my elderly Ginger and Ashley do - at least when Ashley is behaving herself. I thoroughly despise her selfish and cowardly first guardians.

jenluckenbach
08-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Lizzie, you find a way to get that cat to me and I will keep her as long as necessary. But I am unable to do a lot of driving around so she'd have to get all the way to me or within an hour's drive.

Lizzie
08-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Lizzie, you find a way to get that cat to me and I will keep her as long as necessary. But I am unable to do a lot of driving around so she'd have to get all the way to me or within an hour's drive.

I was so hoping that you would volunteer but didn't want to pm you and pressure you. I can't think of a better person for her to be with in the interim. I have happy tears in my eyes.

Melissa - can you do another mapquest to help us out?

doolittleky
08-28-2006, 07:09 PM
oh gosh that isn't a bad drive at all!

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=East+Meadow&1s=ny&1z=&2pn=&2a=&2c=allentown&2s=pa&2z=&r=f

jenluckenbach
08-28-2006, 07:10 PM
The fact of the matter is that I was tempted to help her myself, but am afraid of getting in over my head. With a houseful already I don't want to be one of those types who end up doing more harm than good. (I hope everyone can understand that and realize that we can't ALWAYS help them all. :()

doolittleky
08-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Maybe the shelter lady can drive at least half way or all the way if Jen can't do the driving! I am so excited this ppor baby will get the mom she deserves!
Melissa

jenluckenbach
08-28-2006, 07:12 PM
oh gosh that isn't a bad drive at all!

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=East+Meadow&1s=ny&1z=&2pn=&2a=&2c=allentown&2s=pa&2z=&r=f

I checked out the drive already. :o Earlier today. But I will not do New York City! She's got to at least get her close to PA.

doolittleky
08-28-2006, 07:14 PM
I would hope that Lucille would be willing to drive her to PA considering that the baby would be getting out of the shelter and it would be saving a life.
Melissa

catnapper
08-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Jen beat me to it! I kow she'll be in the best hands with Jen.

Poor little dear sounds terrified.

Lizzie
08-28-2006, 07:35 PM
The fact of the matter is that I was tempted to help her myself, but am afraid of getting in over my head. With a houseful already I don't want to be one of those types who end up doing more harm than good. (I hope everyone can understand that and realize that we can't ALWAYS help them all. :()

Which shows that you probably have more sense than I.

I did think things over before I made the initial call. I wouldn't have offered for a cat that didn't like other cats, or one that demanded a lot of attention, so in that way I knew it should work. She will be with four of the FIV+ boys who are all very friendly, and two female cats. Two of the cats are social ferals, one is a sprayer and one a pee'er, so she "matches" with the group. They have a very large sitting room, a bedroom that is part litter room and an enclosed deck - doesn't sound too crowded does it? I sit down there with them whenever I can and watch videos with us all piled on the bed.

I will have the same number as you, if you include your fosters.

I want Leda because she appeals to me and because I think I can offer a home she will enjoy - that's the primary reason for adoption. But also, for me, she represents the tens of thousands of cats that we can't save. The ones that are used and abused and then thrown away because their behavior changes due to the abuse, the ones that don't conform to someone's idea of a pet cat.

But this is it for me, after I get Beans, of course.

Lizzie
08-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Well, Lucille IS the rescue organization, there are no helpers. She is elderly and cannot drive Leda to Jen. I said I would post here and see if anyone could help and she is going to contact some friends and do the same. The problem is that she is in Florida until tomorrow afternoon and may not be able to fly out because very high winds are expected, and her friends phone numbers are at her NY home. She will contact the shelter tomorrow and make sure that Leda is safe.

She was thrilled that a short-term foster home had been found and very happy that this cat is on her way to a real home.

jenluckenbach
08-29-2006, 06:10 AM
I am so sorry to hear that she cannot drive (at least half way) here. :( And I know that I will be harshly judged for not just driving up to collect Leda. But it is just not something I can do. :(

It is so extrememly hard to see all these cats whom noone can help. But there are SO many!! The harsh reality is they cannot ALL be saved. :( I am not suggesting that you give up on Leda. But for me, in order to keep my sanity, I cannot be swayed by every sob story.....not when there are already HUNDREDS right here in my own back yard.

If you find transport, my home is still open to you. GOOD LUCK. And again, I am truly sorry.

Lizzie
08-29-2006, 08:25 AM
Please don't feel badly, Jen, it's just another hitch in the saga. Hopefully Lucille will be able to organize a ride, or someone on PT will volunteer. I've been feeling badly about the hundreds in my backyard also.

Here is another hitch - I have ringworm. Yes, me and one of the kittens. I thought the small sore spot under my chin was a garden spider bite that I'd rubbed at with my gardening gloves and made worse, but this morning I realized that Cattulus had a sore area above his eye, leapt out of bed and grabbed a mirror - oh yes, it's ringworm. It's a good job we can't get Leda to me right away and that Beans has been delayed.

catmandu
08-29-2006, 08:42 AM
When I saw her photo, I prayed as she looks so much like JJJ3.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/efaec103.jpg
There for the grace of God go I says JJJ3.
We are praying that Jen can take in this JJJ3 Lookalike.
JJJ3 says Please God, help this Kitty.