PDA

View Full Version : Computer Background-LOTS of help needed!

I_luv_rusty
08-28-2006, 02:57 PM
My computer background (of a picture) doesn't show up when I set one. I know it's there because when I turn on the computer I see it, but then when the computer desktop loads its not there its just a colored one (silver) It use to work but now it doesn't. If I right click on the desktop and go to properties desktop then if I try to click browse (to load a picture) it won't let me its not clickable. Any help would be appricated (sp?)

Chica
08-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Put your picture in my pictures and save it there. Then click on properties and go to Desktop, then click on browse. Make sure you click on my pictures. Find the picture you want for desktop and click on it. Then click apply and OK!
You should have the desktop that you want. :) ;) :D

Vette
08-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Sounds like the picture maybe inadvertently got moved or renamed...
thats the only time mine does that,, or when i apply new changes in the Properties menu..
but thats the only times it does that. just re-apply it? :)

I_luv_rusty
08-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Put your picture in my pictures and save it there. Then click on properties and go to Desktop, then click on browse. Make sure you click on my pictures. Find the picture you want for desktop and click on it. Then click apply and OK!
You should have the desktop that you want. :) ;) :D

This doesn't work :( The browse is unclickable.

Re-applying it doesn't work ethier sadly :(

I_luv_rusty
08-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Heres where it won't let me browse--

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/littletumino/nobackground.jpg

It little srry but u should be able to see you can't click it :(

ChrisH
08-29-2006, 04:02 AM
You have XP yes? If so, don't bother with the properties box ... just go to where you have your pictures stored ....
Start>my pictures
Open folder that your picture is in
Select picture and then click Set as Desktop Background (top left hand)

I've attached some pictures of how I do it but even though yours might not look the same - perhaps, for example, you don't have picture folders, or perhaps you have everything in list view - the basics are the same once you find your picture.

I_luv_rusty
08-29-2006, 10:12 AM
I've tryed that too... but they do set. but not on my background, if I restart they'll come up whenn restarting then be gone when everything is up.

ChrisH
08-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Heres where it won't let me browse--

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/littletumino/nobackground.jpg

It little srry but u should be able to see you can't click it :(
Looking at your picture I *think* I can see the problem there. Looks like you are stuck on the background colour. Ready for another picture 'tutorial'? :D

1. Bring up display properties again and click on one of the names in the box
2. For instance I have clicked on the one called 'friend' and you can see the picture on the little screen.
3. Now you can use the browse button (as you can see I've browsed to my own My Pictures folders)
4. Find the picture you want and open
5. Click apply

ChrisH
08-29-2006, 03:08 PM
6. All done!

I_luv_rusty
08-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanks for trying to help but it unclickable :( Look at the browse button... or even the area where they have backgrounds you can choose from. (sometimes I have computers! :mad: )

See-

Roxyluvsme13
08-29-2006, 03:56 PM
I see what your problem is. Somehow you've got every single one of your picture set to a PSPIMAGE file, or they're all set to open up in PSP..

Alysser
08-29-2006, 04:09 PM
Perhaps you locked it on that setting by accident? I really doubt that but maybe.

Great backgrounds, Chris. ;)

I_luv_rusty
08-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Perhaps you locked it on that setting by accident? I really doubt that but maybe.

Great backgrounds, Chris. ;)

Well even if I did lock it on that.... perhaps the question is how do I unlock it? ;)

I_luv_rusty
08-29-2006, 04:19 PM
I see what your problem is. Somehow you've got every single one of your picture set to a PSPIMAGE file, or they're all set to open up in PSP..

I think your right Bri... because all my pictures are PSP files... if I click on them it bring up PSP. But I can also open them with internet explorer and other programs... if I right click then hit OPEN with then the program. But it default opens with PSP. So what can I do to fix the problem anyone know?

Reachoutrescue
08-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Your pictures should be save as jpeg or a zip...did you try resaving them under one of those?

I_luv_rusty
08-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Your pictures should be save as jpeg or a zip...did you try resaving them under one of those?

They actually are saved under that. But they use PSP to open them as the default picture viewer.

Roxyluvsme13
08-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Okay.. find any picture, right click and select properties.. It should have a thing that says Open with, and you'll want to select Windows Picture and Fax viewer..

Reachoutrescue
08-29-2006, 04:37 PM
They actually are saved under that. But they use PSP to open them as the default picture viewer.

Sorry, I wish you luck on that one. I am not too good with computers. Good luck.

I_luv_rusty
08-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Okay.. find any picture, right click and select properties.. It should have a thing that says Open with, and you'll want to select Windows Picture and Fax viewer..

Ok I tried that. It still doesn't set... it sets but doesn't set. If I were to restart my computer right now i'd see it but then when it loads to the desktop it'll be gone. You guys probaly think i'm stupid and it just me, but its not I use to change it all the time. It not like my computer messed up ethier. You know how some computer can have two desktop well my brother has a thingy on this computer too and his background works. (if u don't know what I mean- on his user thingy he has his background)

I got cut off.... that why I didn't type for a while. (thunder and lightning)

RedHedd
08-29-2006, 09:27 PM
It sounds like a setting got changed on your log-in (you said your brother logs into the same computer, right?) - like your desktop "permissions" have been downgraded and you don't have "rights" to make any changes. Go into Control Panel (Start/Settings), go into User accounts and make sure you have "administator" or "Supervisor" rights on your computer.

I_luv_rusty
08-29-2006, 11:40 PM
It sounds like a setting got changed on your log-in (you said your brother logs into the same computer, right?) - like your desktop "permissions" have been downgraded and you don't have "rights" to make any changes. Go into Control Panel (Start/Settings), go into User accounts and make sure you have "administator" or "Supervisor" rights on your computer.

Well he doesn't go on very much. But if you know what I mean... when it starts up before it goes into any one account thingy it says Jenna and John (brothers name) and then you click which one. I'll try that..

It says were both computer adminstators.... If anyone knows anything else that might be a problem. We migt just need to get an enginer to fix the problem..... :o I do appractiate (sp?) all your guys help!!! :)