PDA

View Full Version : My husband and son were in a car accident.........(PICTURES added)

Soapets
08-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Neither were seriously hurt, thank God!

My husband was taking my son back to his residential group home after a weekend home pass with us. They were on the Interstate going east and traffic suddenly slowed down ahead of them. One car up ahead of them veered into the south ditch to avoid hitting the vehicle in front of them. The driver of the car directly in front of my husband slammed on their brakes. My husband slammed on his brakes, but couldn't veer to the right because there was a truck beside him, and couldn't veer to the left into the median because there was a sheriff's car sitting there right at the very spot he would have needed to have veered into, so our minivan ran into the back of the SUV ahead. I was not with them, because I wasn't feeling well and had decided to stay home.

The air bags deployed, and my husbands right inner forearm is covered with minor scrapes and scratches, most likely from the airbag. My son said he might have a bruised knee, but otherwise he didn't even hit his airbag. They both had their seatbelts on, which probably saved them from a LOT of injuries. Our van then went into the median, horn blowing, and finally stopped. It just missed hitting the Sheriff's car. My son had to pull some wires to get the horn to stop honking.

They called me and told me about it. I called a friend, who drove me to where they were (about 1 hour 30 minutes away). I took some pictures, which I will post in this thread later. I'm doing this during my lunch break, and when I left home this morning I had the pictures uploading to ImageStation.

Deb

Dorothy39
08-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Oh My Goodness, I am so happy to learn that your husband and son are doing fine, considering what might have happened!!! :eek:

I'd be a physical wreck if I had received such a call from my husband and son.

AND:

Thank God they were wearing their seatbelts!!!! Even so, I can imagine how shook up they must feel right now.

Take it easy, soapets. Glad everyone is alright!!!!!!

MajesticCollies
08-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Glad to hear everyone is alright. The last thing anyone needs is tradgedy in thier lives.

Dorothy39
08-28-2006, 05:57 PM
I know you have your hands and your heart so full right now, but, Please keep us posted.

I'm not talking about pictures of the accident, I am referring to your husband and your son . I know they are all right, I guess that I just wanted to give you a big {{{HUG}}}!!!

I will never , ever take my husband, nor my son, for granted !!!!!!

Take Care Soapets!!! and, Thank God they are doing well!!! ;)

Soapets
08-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Here's some pictures of the van:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/p545bae547ad525b69ed4c6a6937b2ea0/ed46c3da.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/p4f0f77064a2f0038fe88f4bdd05b6d9d/ed46b9e2.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/p72484a223744cf846f79e5adc32d3908/ed46bd8d.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/pc12c8a2e2da43e450548a3e943ec2b86/ed46a6bf.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/p11290028f9d4925552f77819fd233269/ed46a6c2.jpg

Here's some pictures of Terry's arm:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/pb33c503fd68539552589e9102fe163fe/ed46a0ff.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/pb7840cc69b5ffb23933aecc6c76fa6d1/ed469657.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/p738670c435adb5e571f5c56d9b3b084f/ed46b059.jpg

My husband's sister and brother-in-law live in a town near the accident, so we met them and they took our son on to his group home, while my husband and I rode with our friend back to her house. We got our pickup there and went home.

I'm going to call my son's house parents in a little while and ask how his knee looks. I'm sure it is fine. He wasn't limping or anything, and they would have called us if there had been any question about it in their minds.

We're waiting for our insurance adjustor's estimate of damages, but we're pretty sure they'll total it out. It is a 1995 Ford Windstar. It had a lot of miles on it, but still ran good. We just had new brakes, new front tires, and a new battery put in about a month ago. It gets serviced regularly, and we had paid it off last December. I don't know how we're going to afford another vehicle if they won't pay to get this one fixed.

We've just started making payments on a 2000 GMC Sonoma pickup, after our 1990 Ford Ranger was hit by an uninsured driver in April. The guy that hit that failed to show up for his court hearing last month, so now there is a warrant out for his arrest. He was driving his mother's car, with expired plates and no insurance. At least our van was fully insured!

The main thing I am keeping in mind here is that my husband and son were not seriously hurt. It isn't very often that people who are in accidents on interstate highways are able to walk away without requiring medical attention. They were very, very lucky. It could have been much worse. I feel like God is keeping that "protective shield" around my son that I constantly pray for. It might have been a good lesson for my son, in that he saw how fast something like that can happen. He learned first-hand the importance of wearing a seat belt, and he experienced what it's like to have the air bags deploy. All without getting hurt!

Deb

Dorothy39
08-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Soapets,

All I can say right now is "WOW" :eek:

I would certainly feel quite low if I were to see any "Vehicle" of ours, in, such condition!!!!

Although I am affaid of "air-bags". I'm feeling better about them already, despite the "burning" scrapes in that photo!!!

That is some scarey stuff, really!!!! :eek: ( My word!!!) :eek:

I do hope that they total it!!! Oh my word!!!!!

I am so very GLAD that your Husband and Your Son could walk away !!!

"God Bless !!!!!! " Says, dorothy39

slick
08-28-2006, 07:37 PM
That looks similar to how my Chevy Blazer looked after my crash last December. The whole front end was pushed in and it was a write-off.

Yes, thank the good Lord that no one was seriously hurt. Protective shield?? You betcha. Prayers on the way.

*LabLoverKEB*
08-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Oh my goodness! :eek: I'm so glad to 'hear' that noone was seriousley hurt!! My, how scary! I hope their scratches/cuts heal fast!

K9karen
08-29-2006, 01:42 AM
Whew! Thankfully they weren't badly injured or worse. As traumatic and financially annoying as car accidents are, I always try to remember that they're only metal and glass. My first accident almost 30 years, kept me from driving for over a month. I had just paid my 1st car off the week before. My car was totalled and I needed the jaws of life to get me out. By the grace of a higher power/guardian angel, I only had a cut on my finger. It all happens so fast, it's like a dream. I'm just glad your family is OK

pitc9
08-29-2006, 08:26 AM
SO Glad to hear everyone is ok!

Pembroke_Corgi
08-29-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm sorry to hear that! I'm glad that nobody was seriously injured, but those look like some painful cuts. :(

CathyBogart
08-29-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm SO glad they're both okay!!

krazyaboutkatz
08-29-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm very sorry that this happened:( but I'm so glad that both of them are fine.:)

moosmom
08-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Thank God everyone got out okay. The damage looks pretty bad. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Laura's Babies
08-29-2006, 12:46 PM
It don't take much for them to total one out with the costs of repairs nowdays. Rie is STILL upset over her being rear ended several years ago. She loved that old van she had and she HATES the new one..

ramanth
08-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Ouch!! I'm glad everyone is okay. I know the feeling. I had just had new tires and stuff put on my Grand Am when a teen T-boned me. Insurance totaled it but they gave me money towards the tires since I had a reciept. You should find out if you can get some money on that.

cyber-sibes
08-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Thank heavens no one was injured, you're right - it could have been MUCH worse. Prayers going out that they recover quickly.

Soapets
08-29-2006, 10:05 PM
The insurance adjustor called today. He's going to go look at it tomorrow, and see what kind of condition it was in, how many miles it had on it, what features it had, etc. Then he'll pass the information along to a team of three people at the Insurance office and they'll determine what it's value would have been prior to the accident. They'll offer us the value that they decide it was worth. I told him it has two new front tires, new front brakes, a new battery, and a FULL tank of gas in it! He said the tires might add to it's value a little. I think I'll ask if we can have the battery, and we might try to siphon some of the gas out of it if they'll let us. I hate to lose a whole tank of gas, at the price gas is these days! That's something we can definitely use in our pickup and lawnmower, etc.

He's supposed to call me at work or on my cell phone sometime tomorrow afternoon. I hope we get enough from it to help us get something to replace it! It was a good van. :(

Deb