PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about cheese

ChrisH
08-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Namely Camembert and Brie cheeses. There is a kind of white rind/substance on the outside, is it edible?

sirrahbed
08-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Yes the rind is to eat also. I think this is true of most soft cheeses. Once the cheese is softened at room temperature, the rind becomes soft also.

Cookiebaker
08-27-2006, 03:36 PM
I thought the rind was wax, and wasn't supposed to be eaten?? I don't really know for sure, but that was my understanding. :o

slick
08-27-2006, 03:36 PM
o-o-o-o-o-o-o my two very favourite kinds of cheese. Yes the rind is edible but I don't really care for it. To me it tastes a little moldy so I always cut it off.

By the way, if you have a wedge of it do this:

Keep the rind on and cut it all the way through in the middle (like cutting a slit) and shove some cashews in there. Some people also put dried cranberries in there. Then nuke it in the microwave for a bit until the cheese gets warm and gooey. Then take it out and use some crusty bread to scoop and eat. It's to die for.....but very fattening so I don't eat it very often.

I'll make it for you when I see you in June/07..... ;)

Dorothy39
08-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Yes, and I so love "Munster Cheese" as well ;)

Dorothy39
08-27-2006, 03:40 PM
o-o-o-o-o-o-o my two very favourite kinds of cheese. Yes the rind is edible but I don't really care for it. To me it tastes a little moldy so I always cut it off.

By the way, if you have a wedge of it do this:

Keep the rind on and cut it all the way through in the middle (like cutting a slit) and shove some cashews in there. Some people also put dried cranberries in there. Then nuke it in the microwave for a bit until the cheese gets warm and gooey. Then take it out and use some crusty bread to scoop and eat. It's to die for.....but very fattening so I don't eat it very often.

I'll make it for you when I see you in June/07..... ;)
Oh Lord have mercy!!!! That sounds soooo good Slick,

I'll be at that BBQ!!!!! You can count on it!!!!!!! ;)

ChrisH
08-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks people! :D

p.s. Slick, I'll hold you to that and wait until then to try it. :)

Iilo
08-27-2006, 04:41 PM
The rind is mold, if I'm not mistaken. It's edible, but doesn't have near as much flavor as the good stuff in the middle.

Killearn Kitties
08-27-2006, 04:43 PM
I've always loved the rind on those sort of cheeses! Very tasty.

Roxyluvsme13
08-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Bri - Brie Cheese :p. I've always wanted to try some -nods-

Karen
08-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Cookiebaker, you're thinking of Gouda - that is the cheese that comes with the red wax coating, that while it won't hurt you, isn't meant to be eaten.

Iilo
08-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Bri,

You should definitely try some Brie -- it isn't too expensive (but not near as delicious as Camembert) and goes great with a baguette (freshly baked hopefully).

jenluckenbach
08-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Brie is a soft cow's milk cheese named after Brie, the French province in which it originated. It is pale in colour with a slight greyish tinge under crusty white mould; very soft and savoury with a hint of ammonia. The white mouldy rind is tasteless and edible

Camembert:
Rind: Thin, edible, slightly pungent.
Tasting Notes: This cheese is a luscious, buttery delight. It has undertones of mushrooms and nuts.

I have never tried either.

Roxyluvsme13
08-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Bri,

You should definitely try some Brie -- it isn't too expensive (but not near as delicious as Camembert) and goes great with a baguette (freshly baked hopefully).
Okayyy. I'll see if I can find some around here. I've never seen any to be honest, but I've never looked either.

Miss Z
08-28-2006, 06:51 AM
Okayyy. I'll see if I can find some around here. I've never seen any to be honest, but I've never looked either.

Brie is a very nice cheese, we usually have it on a cheese platter at Christmas. It goes very nicely on hot baguettes and on cream crackers too. :)

Having said that though, in my very humble opinion, nothing, absolutely NOTHING, compares to some good old vintage Lancashire cheese, yum yum ;) :D

Randi
08-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Well, I don't care much for Camenbert and Brie, but Port Salut is yummy. :) That is also a soft cheese with a rind on. Of course, there's always the good old cheddar! ;)

See attached photo!

And here's more:

http://www.alltheweb.com/search?cat=img&cs=iso88591&q=port+salut&rys=0&itag=crv&_sb_lang=pref

Cataholic
08-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Brie Cheese, baked inside a pastry shell until done, then sliced/spread on "nice" crackers (no offense to Ritz or anything) with a white wine.....ah......carb heaven! Throw some grapes along side, and you have a meal!

ChrisH
08-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Zara, I like Lancashire cheese too, though my most favourite English cheese is Cheddar, the more mature the better.

Randi, I tried Port Salut for the first time a few weeks ago ... yummy!

I spread some softened Brie on toast today, perhaps not the 'correct thing' to do but it was so nice!