PDA

View Full Version : Your First Pet??

sandragonfly
08-26-2006, 09:47 PM
I was wondering what/which pet was your FIRST pet in your life? a very first one ..?

even though I don't remember taking care of our first pet, a boxed turtle we have had for two years, I know it was my first pet. his name was telly, we think he died suddenly of an old age.

a bonus, a picture of me and him! :D (when I was two) .. so shall I blame my parents for being an animal lover? ..not sure if they got it because of me or for them. :p

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/mystichild/firstpet.png

second, third, fourth was a rat, fifth and sixth, mice, then seventh - (fifteen years later), my first cat! :rolleyes:

zoomer
08-26-2006, 09:50 PM
My kitty, Jen was my first cat. I remember being very young when we went to the cat rescue and I picked out my own and very own pet, a 9 month old Maine Coone/Tabby. That kitten was tiny, and how she's at least 20 pounds (LOL!!!). The most histarical thing I can remember from that day was the lady that owned the rescue saying "she hates kids, other dogs, and cannot live with any other pets. She's a one person pet". But she rubs against the dog's legs, LOVES kids, and lives with salamanders, fish, hamsters, frogs & lizards, and she's fine with it! You can see her in my signature. My next pet was my dog, Alaska, and then another dog Claire, then my girl Georgia, then my bud, Buddy, then my turtle (he ran away :() then my gecko, Montana and so on...

The Cat Factory
08-26-2006, 09:55 PM
My first pet was my cat, Twinkles :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/p907d9d4796857351ff2b1fc97ed6d494/fdbbb94b.gif

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/p19fa49e946448a5778f8f250c72e5826/fdb174be.gif

Chilli
08-26-2006, 10:03 PM
My first pet was Frisk. ^__^
Mum didn't allow me to have pets for the longest of time. Finally, after much begging from my father and I, she gave in when I was around 9 years old and I received my little bundle of love.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h10/EmotionsOnSleeves/HOTpapa.png

Eventhough I have owned MANY pets since then, I still see Frisk as the best pet thats ever been in my life. I honestly take him everywhere I go as long as its allowed. He's been there for me when I went through the worst depression, and without him, I don't know where I'd be.
Simply put, he's all I've ever wanted.

Roxyluvsme13
08-26-2006, 10:05 PM
An ACD named Rocky :). I miss him lots. =/

Zippy
08-26-2006, 10:26 PM
I big maine coon male kitty named Tiger.

Danegirl2208
08-26-2006, 10:31 PM
my first pet was a siamese mix cat named tisha

critter crazy
08-26-2006, 10:32 PM
My very first pet was a grey longhaired cat named fred(found out later it was a girl!)!! he he he!! I was nine and we rescued her from a bag that was thrown into a pond!! had he for 9 years!! she was the best!

cali
08-26-2006, 10:49 PM
we had an affinpincher when I was a baby, but I dont remeber him, I did not even know we ever had one till like last year, I had always heard about the "stupid dog that got lost in the driveway" but I had always thought it was just a random mutt and thought it was before I was born, but nope, I was born in prince george and they got him from Regina when we lived in weyburn, I would have been about a year old by then. from what I heard the dog was stolen from the yard, and my parents believe it was the dogcatcher that lived accross the ally, appernently the guy hated the dog. the earliest pet I actually Remeber was Isko, a budgie that appears in nearly every older picture we have of my dad lol MY personal first pet was 3 neon Tetra's.

Khay
08-26-2006, 10:57 PM
A long-haired tuxy kitty named Tippy, and Baby, a long-haired cream colored kitty with a grey tear-shaped patch under her left eye (Hence why her name was Baby)

I've never known life without an animal, my family has always had them since before I came along, but tippy and baby were the only ones we had when I was younger - around 2 or 3.

CathyBogart
08-26-2006, 11:09 PM
A Lhasa Apso/Cocker Spaniel mix named Spike. He was a birthday gift for my second birthday.

Sevaede
08-27-2006, 01:33 AM
Well, we had an assortment of fish, frogs, hamsters, and crabs. MY first pets was a rat named Stuart, then a guinea pig named Cinnamon, then a black DLH male named Fuzznuts, then a mouse named Lemmiwinks. All those were when I was living with a parent. My very first all-my-own furbaby, after I moved out, was a DSH tuxedo male named Tier.

Miss Z
08-27-2006, 05:39 AM
Well, I was born straight into the family when both my RB kitties Brando and Zsa-Zsa were two years old, so I suppose technically they were my 'first' pets.

http://media.petster.com/photos/25864/182-964-330-237-48253.jpg http://media.petster.com/photos/25864/366-266-449-458-47981.jpg

But I'll always think of my very own first pet as my mini lop rabbit, Bo-peep. I got her when I was four and I remember feeling so proud that I had a pet which I had to look after. Bo-peep was also the first pet I had which went to the RB, on 16th March 2002, and I felt so horrid that day I wanted to just die. :( Here's Bo-peep's baby pic
http://media.petster.com/photos/25864/444-516-410-491-47768.jpg

GreyhoundGirl
08-27-2006, 08:03 AM
I'll never keep track of all the fish that have come and gone, so I'll just say dogs. If you mean MY first pet, that would be Pheobe, if you're talking the pet that was my families when I was born, that would be Houblie.

Here's a pic of us together, I was telling her I would leash-train her. I never finished.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/greyhoundgirl_2006/11112phoeb.jpg

Suki Wingy
08-27-2006, 04:54 PM
My mom and I lived at my grandparents' house when I was very young up til 5 years and she had a few cats and 2 dogs but they weren'y mine. I have 3 fish my dad gave me as my first pets, then Tigger.

CatLuvrs
08-27-2006, 05:23 PM
My first pet was a black kitty named Rocky. He died of kitty leukima (sp?) and then we got Rockette lol she looked just like him. I named her lol. :D

Toby's my baby
08-27-2006, 05:57 PM
My first pet was Alie, a little black mutt. She died when I was two years old though. She was more of a family pet.

My very first pet of my OWN was my cat Cassie. We went through a LOT together. She went missing about 5 years ago, and 6 months after she was missing we got a phone call from a family 200 miles from us, saying that they thought they had my cat (she had tags on - god bless). SO, we went there, and sure enough, it was her!! :D I got her when I was about 3 or 4 I THINK My dad found her in a trailer court and brought her out to our farm. She sadly passed on last summer. :( I miss her dearly, and I wish I had been with her to say goodbye.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/BPhilipp/Dsc04070.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/BPhilipp/Dsc04058.jpg

Karen
08-27-2006, 06:04 PM
My very first pet was my Sheba girl. I've talked about her before, my family got her as an adult stray when I was a toddler. Our best guess is that she was a German Shepherd/maybe Doberman mix. She had a prey instinct that was amazing, so we never had any other pets when we had her, the nieghborhood gardens were free from woodchucks for ten years after she died, and all the nighborhood cats knew where the closest tree was from any given point on the ground.

Sheba was my best friend, the smartest dog I have ever met. She was the Alpha dog of the neighborhood, and made the rounds a couple times a day, picking up followers as she travelled. She lifted her leg to mark trees, was as sweet and gentle with us as could be imagined, but her very presence protected us if we children were out in the yard alone. No stranger ever got very far up the driveway. If they started up the drive, she walk over and stand in the middle and look at them. If the person kept approaching, she'd sit and stare - no one ever got further than that, as she was a big black dog, they'd lose nerve and back away.

She taught me lots of things, including how to and how NOT to pet a dog, how to give a good bellyrub, and to look both ways before I crossed the street.

Next time I am out at Dad's house, I've gotta try to find a picture of her, but she was basically a slightly stockier German Shepherd, black with tan leggings and those tan spots for eyebrows.

The dad across the street, Roger, described himself as not being a "dog person." But his daughters and I played together all the time, so they grew up with Sheba as well. When Sheba died, my Dad was at work, having just begun a 12-hour shift I think. And so Roger came over, and helped my mom wrap Sheba in her favorite green Army blanket, and he had tears running down his face as he carried her to his truck. (Sheba was buried on my Grandpa's farm.) Then, not long after, he brought home a shelter pup - now I know he was probably a Gordon Setter mix, named Woody, for his girls. He never said "your dog changed my mind," but we knew it did.

Sheba was a great dog.

wolf_Q
08-27-2006, 06:06 PM
The first family pet we had was Smokey, a black poodle. My parents got him for me when I was 2 but he ended up being crazy about my mom so he was more her dog. We had him until he was 18 years old. :(

The first pet I would consider *mine* would be Nebo. He's the only pet (and now, 1 betta too) that I pay for everything and he is completely my repsonsibility.

k9krazee
08-27-2006, 07:20 PM
My VERY first pet was a little stray kitten that I begged and begged my mom to let me have, I was about two years old. We named her Gizmo and she lived to be about 10 years old but died of cancer :( She was more of my mom's cat though, she hated us kids.

MY first pet was a pair of 2 year old hamsters that we got from a family friend.

Argranade
08-27-2006, 07:24 PM
My first pet was Todum. Got her when I was 13/14 about.

She was a Rockdove pigeon (Regular) I found her at a church and brought her home to take care of and love.

As she got older she followed me everywhere at home and loved me so much.

One day me & my family went up north for a day and when we wanted to come back home a storm came up and slowed us down.

I was stupid to leave my pigeon alone at home in a cage with no lock.

When we got back home there was blood and feathers all over the car Todums cage was placed on and the racoon walked right by me and I just looked at him (Wanted to kill it).

My dad threw apples at the racoon and chased it away I cryed all night it was horrible.

Month later I got a new pigeon her name was Whitefeather.......and it goes on and on.....

Now I have more knowledge of birds and have had many threw my life and I always plan on having a bird in my life since to me they are the worlds most beautiful creations being able to fly and sing so lovley.

sirrahved
08-28-2006, 11:47 AM
We had Misty from before I was born until I was... 11? She was a cat. I think she was 17 when she was pts.

I think my parents had a dog when I born, too. Not sure.

The first pet that was really MINE was Pookie, a very fat dilute calico. I was six and she claimed me. Her water broke in my lap; her kittens had to be in my room. She was pts when I was 12... I still have a hard time thinking about my Pookie.

Flatcoatluver
08-28-2006, 12:01 PM
I was born right into a family of 3 english setters and one cat.When our family cat died, I was 6 years old, and we found kendy and kasey from under a house. My brother picked out kasey and I picked out Kendy. Kendy and kasey are now 10 years old. You can tell Kendy is my cat. She's my chubby whubby! ;)
http://agility.zoto.com/img/45/5951c232503c1110214cfef73cc18a0f-.jpg
http://agility.zoto.com/img/45/68af415dfa2d78b2219ab1ffe68af9f8-.jpg
http://agility.zoto.com/img/45/bcc4a1d7a4ffca14c39298ec7d766237-.jpg

sandragonfly
08-28-2006, 12:41 PM
toby, cassie is so pretty!!

sad, sweet sweet about sheba.

well, MY first pet (I took care of) was a brown-hooded rat, Minnie. she was the most sweetest thing I ever met, taught me love and their intelligent little world. that was when I was 9 or 10 .. after I promised my father I'd help at a pet store (closed now) for two years.

she was full of silliness and happiness! I still miss her so much as she was my first one I remembered.

this is fun reading, thanks for sharing!

Tollers-n-Dobes
08-28-2006, 12:57 PM
The first family pet that I remember was Sabi, a male Rottweiler:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid158/p39978990c2efb152c112706b21d0104c/f5172d58.jpg

My own first pet that I take care of and do everything for is Tango.

MajesticCollies
08-28-2006, 01:35 PM
My first pet was a Male Sable Collie back in 1965. His name was Sam. He used to always get in the neighbors compost pile. My sisters and I called him Sam Sam the garbage man. lol

Dorothy39
08-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Oh , I have to agree with Gina, this thread is great reading!!!

Toby's mom, I waited for Cassie's picture to download, as well as all of the others posted here!!!

Karen, that Sheba story was wonderful!!! I sure do hope you post a picture of that dog soon!!!
I wish I didn't start pondering all of the wonderful stories here, The Rats, the Cats, the fish, hamsters, ~~~~~~

I read and read and forgot what the thread was all about when I clicked onto REPLY!! :eek: (that is what dial up does to a Pet Talk Addict!!) :D

I was born into the family when there was already a family dog named , Penny. I was told that she was a short haired Collie, mostly white, with a bit of brown on her head and ears. Is still get a lump in my throat each time I see a photo of that dog!!! Wow, she was my first friend too!!

The very first pet that I was responsible for was a Parrakeet that a neighbor lady gave to me, Cage and all. His name was Rainbow!!! I would hurry home from school so I could stand onto a chair and talk to him.

I can't wait to re-read this thread. It is amazing!!!!!

BitsyNaceyDog
08-28-2006, 05:30 PM
My first pet was my best friend until I was 3, he was a grey cat named Boots. We also had a cat named Mittens, but she didn't like me (I don't blame her, I was 3). My parents had both cats before I was born and had to give them away when I was 3 because my baby sister was very sick and in the hospital a lot. I really don't remember the cats though, I've just seen pictures and heard stories.

The first pet I remember was our yorkie. We got him when my sister was doing better and no longer needed to be in the hospital.

My first pet that was all my responsibility and not a family pet was my hamster, Peaches.