lizbud
08-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Today I ran into a British coin that says New pence with the number 10
at the bottom. It's about the size of a American Silver dollar.Does a pence
equal our penny in worth?

Killearn Kitties
08-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Well I could possibly answer that if I knew what your penny was worth. :D

10p is one tenth of £1 - £1 being equal to 100 pence.

I think $1 = about 66p or so at the moment.

Killearn Kitties
08-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Apparently the exchange rate today is one pounds to 1.8195 dollars.

lizbud
08-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Well a penny is 1/100th of a dollar. Not worh much. :D I found the coin
and couldn't remember how to convert the money values.So it's about 66
of our cents? Right?

Uabassoon
08-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Lizbud 10 pence would be close to 18 cents USD.

Killearn Kitties
08-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Yes, that would be right. :D

Muddy4paws
08-25-2006, 05:01 PM
I know it! lol being from London and all :p

http://www.mcmuffin.co.uk/mr_and_mrs_mcmuffin/images/10p.jpg

One of them?

Its 10 pence or 10p and 10 of them makes £1

lizbud
08-25-2006, 05:10 PM
I know it! lol being from London and all :p

http://www.mcmuffin.co.uk/mr_and_mrs_mcmuffin/images/10p.jpg

One of them?

Its 10 pence or 10p and 10 of them makes £1

Yes that is just what it looks like. :)

Thank you so much to everyone who helped me.You folks are the best
source of information I know. :D

I found the coin in a penny dish at the hardware store today.The clerk
didn't know what it was worth. I told her I collected coins & she let me
have it and wished me happy birthday. :) Pretty cool.

Uabassoon
08-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Lizbud since you said you collect coins, I did a quick search of my room to see what coins I could turn up for you in case you wanted them. I found a 2 pence and a 5 pence from my trip to London this summer, I have a 25 cent and a 5 cent from trinidad and tobago, and I also have a peso from Mexico. Alexa might have some change floating around from her trip to Lithuania as well. If you want I can send them to you, I can't imagine it would cost more than two stamps postage for me to mail them. PM me your address if you'd like them.

lizbud
08-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Lizbud since you said you collect coins, I did a quick search of my room to see what coins I could turn up for you in case you wanted them. I found a 2 pence and a 5 pence from my trip to London this summer, I have a 25 cent and a 5 cent from trinidad and tobago, and I also have a peso from Mexico. Alexa might have some change floating around from her trip to Lithuania as well. If you want I can send them to you, I can't imagine it would cost more than two stamps postage for me to mail them. PM me your address if you'd like them.

OH thanks, that would be great if you could. I'll pm my address & thanks
so much.Most of my other collection was stolen in a break in in 2004.

Blue_Frog
08-25-2006, 07:50 PM
For anyone who reads Pratchett or Gaiman, this quote about the British Monetary system from 'Good Omens' always made me laugh...

NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS:

One shilling = Five Pee. It helps to understand the antique finances of the Witchfinder Army if you know the original British monetary system:

Two Farthings = One Ha'penny. Two Ha'penny = One Penny. Three Pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpence = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and One Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Note = One Pound (or 240 pennies). One Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated.

Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
Good Omens

:D

Miss Z
08-26-2006, 03:39 AM
LOL, I have lots of coins and notes too which I would happily send to you Lizbud, only my mum doesn't wish for me to share my address or get anyone else's from the internet. Hope that's OK NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS:

One shilling = Five Pee. It helps to understand the antique finances of the Witchfinder Army if you know the original British monetary system:

Two Farthings = One Ha'penny. Two Ha'penny = One Penny. Three Pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpence = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and One Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Note = One Pound (or 240 pennies). One Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated.

Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
Good Omens

LMAO! That made me laugh. Nowadays, we still have little words for different things, like a 'quid' is a pound, and a 'grand' is £1000. :D All that was before my time, but my dad says it was a strange system. I have a collection of old coins such as shillings and ha'pennies too :)

vinjashira
08-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Does a pence equal our penny in worth?
pence is plural form of penny :D
1 penny, 2 pence, 3 pence, etc..