PDA

View Full Version : Feeding times & what gender?

slleipnir
05-27-2002, 07:59 PM
I'm just wondering about when you ppl feed your dogs? Should they be fed 3 times a day? Or once in the morning and once at night?

Also, a friend asked me today about what would be better, a female or a male puppy (choco lab x something??) She said both would end up being spayed/neutered at some point. Like are females more likely to behave better then males or?? Thanks

aly
05-27-2002, 08:15 PM
I feed my dogs twice a day. I just split their portions in half and give one in the morning and one in the evening. If it is a puppy, I would split the feedings into three or four times a day.

I would hate to make a statement on dogs' personalities based on gender. I see way too many exceptions. I would recommend that she visit the litter and pick the personality she likes best, regardless of sex :)

AdoreMyDogs
05-27-2002, 08:18 PM
I would tell your friend to pick the puppy that was most outgoing and friendly. Tell her to pick a pup that see feels a bond with or a magnetic pull towards. Also, I would ask the breeder what each puppy's personalities are like and have the breeder make a recommendation on your friends lifestyle. Any good breeder would know those puppies and their personalities. As for gender, it really does not matter as long as they both are altered when they reach the correct age (6 months on average.)

And as for food, it depends on how fast the dog eats, how young or old the dog is, and how deep chested it is. The large, deep chested dogs are prone to bloat so it's wise to give them at least two smaller meals a day, and if they get kibble it should be slightly wettned, to decrease the amount it swells in the stomach. I feed Graham and Kersey one meal in the morning and in the evening I give Graham a small snack and I give Kersey another full sized meal, since she's active and she's still so young.

anna_66
05-27-2002, 08:55 PM
I feed both the dogs 3 smaller meals a day (don't want anymore bloat). Angus usually eats all of his, but Roxey, she's kinda weird, it all depends what kind of mood she's in. But she usually eats only twice a day, even tho I still give her food. Angus is pretty good most of the time, he usually won't eat hers unless given permission!
And picking a dog, whatever one feels right, you usually know when you meet them, by looks, personality or whatever! And it's just preference on male or female. Like when we got Roxey, we felt Angus wouldn't get along with another male, so we picked a female.

Presley
05-27-2002, 10:39 PM
With the feeding Presley gets breakfast and kong filled with snacks around lunch time and then dinner.

On the female vs male.. I have heard so many different things..
When i was looking for a puppy i was reading on the net on just about any info i could get. I read that a female is less likly to have a strong bond with you. That they would never sleep at your feet and that they will go off to another room to sleep. VERY untrue in Presley's case.. I also heard a female is less likly to be attached and to be social with. That they have less corks so to speak. That they are just basically boring... VERY VERY untrue in my case.. Presley does something that just amazes me everyday. She is so loyal and so full of sillieness it is amazing. She is so social and so awesome to have around i wouldn't trade her for anything..

Also when i went to pick a puppy out of litter of 11 only 8 could still be bought i had a hard time picking what one was the nicests and so on... She sat there the whole time i was there just looking up to me. all the other pups were sleeping or eating or playing amoungs eachother. I picked her up and put her down a few minutes later and went to pick up a big bulky rolly lab but she just sat there looking at me.. for a good hour i tried ignoring her she wouldn't take her eyes off me.. I knew she was the one.

Melissa

Sudilar
05-27-2002, 10:40 PM
Killian and Shiloh eat twice a day. (Well, Shiloh is fed twice a day, but she eats all day long!:rolleyes: )

As for male or female...I have both and they are both great.

Pam
05-28-2002, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Sudilar
Killian and Shiloh eat twice a day. (Well, Shiloh is fed twice a day, but she eats all day long!:rolleyes: )

As for male or female...I have both and they are both great.

My Bella is just like Shiloh. She is fed twice a day but usually drags out her breakfast crunchies throughout the day. In the evening I sometimes mix about 1/4 can of Mighty Dog in with a little more of the crunchies and everything disappears lickety split!

I have had more females than males (only have had one male) but I don't think gender matters at all. In fact while at the breeder's where I got Bella, it was a toss-up between her and her brother. I just could not decide! I called my hubby on the phone and he said to go with whichever pup the breeder felt might be a little larger as an adult. She felt Bella's brother would remain pretty small....in fact her nickname for him was Teeny Weeny. :D

slleipnir
05-28-2002, 08:05 AM
Thank you everyone :D

I wasn't sure If I should feed Jo more then 2 times a day or not.

As for the puppy gender thing, i agree with you, when I went to get Jo, I had planned for a male. Whenever I held the male puppy I didn't really feel an attachment like I did with Jo, whenever she jumped up on the other side of the window looking out at me wagging her little tail, I asked to hold her, and it was definitly love at 1st site. The second I held her I knew she was perfect..mind you, she had a little accident when I took her out..there was a little yellow spot on my shirt!
I have a male and female too, Ruf is the SWEETEST dog, well behaved and almost perfect except that he likes to get away. Jo for Jo, well, shes just Jo :D

I wasn't sure if one was easier to be trained then another or what not, so I asked you for her. Thank you very much for all you comments! It helps a lot.

C.C.'s Mom
05-28-2002, 08:18 AM
I feed Cookie twice a day: once after the morning walk and once in the afternoon to give her time to digest for the evening walk. She could eat all day long though :D

wolf_Q
05-29-2002, 12:35 AM
We've never had set meals for the dogs. I didn't decide this, that's just the way it's always been. We have one larger food bowl that is filled on both sides, and then a large thing filled with water. We just make sure there is always food and water there. I believe if we fed them at a certain time and took the food away after Smokey would never eat. They just eat when they feel like, and as much as they feel like....and they are healthy, not overweight. But probably not all dogs would do ok with this.

As far as the gender...I've had these two dogs my entire life, so I've never really had a female to compare the males with. I've heard females are sometimes calmer and less likely to escape, but hey, I think it really depends on the dog and owner.