PDA

View Full Version : Hairless Rat

hippy19
08-25-2006, 03:10 PM
well today i went to the pet store, and there was this older female hairless rat alone in the cage, so i had to get her. now i found what i think is a tumor under her leg? im not sure. but shes soo cute, i will post pictures after she settles in, i dont want to bug her too much. but she feels so soft and smooth.

cant wait till i start to introduce her to coral, but im going to keep them seperate in seperate rooms for 2 weeks. do you think thats long enough?

Miss Z
08-25-2006, 04:08 PM
If you think you have found a tumour, get her to the vet as soon as you can. You could have spotted it in its early stages, and as you can see it, that makes it fairly simple to remove. Surgery can seem a bit drastic for little rodents, but rats generally bear up quite well and any tumour is life-threatening so it's best to nip it in the bud before it progresses.

As for keeping them apart, I would keep them in separate cages facing each other for about a week. Make sure the cages are close enough for them to see each other, but not so close that they can stick their paws out and touch one another. After that week or so, under your supervision, move the cages together so they touch. Watch them all the time whilst the cages are together, and if there's any sign of aggression separate them again. Once you are satisfied that they know each other, let them into the same cage, but watch them for the first hour as they get to know each other, and check up on them as often as you can in the first week. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

I look forward to seeing pics of this new rattie!:D

Chilli
08-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Yep, two weeks is a good ammount of time (you're talking about quarantine, right?), though I honestly prefer 3 weeks. I can't wait to see pics!
Do you think it might be an abcess? Under her leg? But there is always the chance its a tumor, so I do urdge you to take her to the vet as soon as you're able to.
Congrats on the new girl. :D

hippy19
08-25-2006, 10:29 PM
it looks like a lump, i dont know if im just paranoid cuase there are alot of things on her that looks weird, that would be covered by fur.

MajesticCollies
08-25-2006, 10:33 PM
hippy19 i dont know if im just paranoid cuase there are alot of things on her that looks weird, that would be covered by fur.

You never know, it could be nothing. I know by experience. When I lost my hair on my own head there was a lot of things there to see that made me paranoid.:rolleyes:

Hope your rat will be fine.

lute
08-26-2006, 12:09 AM
if there is a sign of any illness in the rat i would get her to a vet!

hippy19
08-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Ill check with the vet on it. anyways here are some pics, ill post some more tommorow.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/Hippy18/ratpicture2.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/Hippy18/ratpicture.jpg

Chilli
08-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Oh my gosh, she's gorgeous!!! :D

CathyBogart
08-26-2006, 05:16 PM
SHe's so beautiful! I love hairless ratties! Two weeks is a good quarantine period.