PDA

View Full Version : Slip cover for a couch

slleipnir
08-25-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure if that is what you call it or not...but I've seen TV shows where they make a cover for a couch and just slip it over the top or something. I'm wondering how to make one? We have an old cough and the material is all torn. The couch itself is in great condition, so it would be cheaper to make a cover instead of either buying a new one or getting it reupholstered or whatever it's called :o

Anyone have any ideas?? On the shows it always looks so simple...somehow I doubt it is as easy as it looks

Lori Jordan
08-25-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm not trying to squash what you want to do.until i got my new furniture i used a slip cover(Molly ripped the cushions appart) And i hated it,the hair sticks to them you have to wash them every other day,now i have all long haired dogs,which probably did not help the matter much.I tryed everything and vaccuming did not work even crumbs(from kids eating on couch) you would have to wash and dry it to get the hair out(Thank God!I have my new Leather furniture a quick wipe and all is gone)If you like i can send you my covers ??????send me a pic of your couch and ill see if they will fit? :D :D :D

Uabassoon
08-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Lori I thought I was the only one with that problem! I figured that maybe I needed a nicer cover, but maybe it's just all of them. I have to wash it everytime we have company over because it's always covered in hair.

slleipnir
08-25-2006, 03:04 PM
How is that different from any couch though? They all get covered in fur in the animals are allowed on it? I mean, anything is better than what it looks like now, trust me. It's pretty much for the dogs as of now, I just want it to look nicer.

lv4dogs
08-25-2006, 03:25 PM
I use an old sheet beacause I can't afford a slip cover. It's a LOT cheaper than a slip cover and looks about the same if you tuck/shape it just right. Of course they don't stay on as good as slipcovers do. :rolleyes:

slleipnir
08-25-2006, 04:48 PM
I have that now...and it's to much of a pain to keep tucking it in and I don't really like how it looks anyway. It doesn't over the arms and it looks a little funny....I was actually thinking of making a slip cover to save money, but I don't know how??

Jadapit
08-25-2006, 05:15 PM
I found this on the HGTV website. It might give you some idea on how to make them.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_fabrics_slipcovers/article/0,1793,HGTV_3391_3601763,00.html

BitsyNaceyDog
08-25-2006, 05:20 PM
I used to have a slip covers on our old couches. The one thing I liked about them was that they were easy to take off and toss in the washing machine, you can't do that with the regular couch.

The thing I didn't like about them is they like to "ride up" and they become untucked easily. One thing that helped us greatly was to get a shower curtain rod and put it in couch (tucked under the cushions) to better hold the cover into place.

I'm thinking about making some for the couches we have now. The color of the couches no longer look right in the new house, they need a makeover. They are the most comfortable couches and they're only a few years old so I'm not ready to completely replace them. I want to do it myself so I can recover each of the cushions and pillows individually. I'll make a slip cover to go under the cushions.

To make them you'll probably need (and want) someone to halp you pin it together before you cut and sew it. Lay the materal in the couch how you want it, only with the back of materal facing out. You can then pin it together on the couch, then cut and sew. Turn it right-side-out and slip it on.