PDA

View Full Version : Another Sad Day....

Reachoutrescue
08-25-2006, 11:39 AM
I just do not understand it. I fed the babies at five in the morning...and at nine Jersey and Itty Bitty were dead. I took their temps early this morning, Jersey was low, so I put the heating pad on to meium and put a hot water bottle in there, but Itty Bitty was perfectly fine. My fiance found them and told me it looked like Dottie killed them. I couldn't bear to see them. I have see three die in the last week.

Dave said that Jersey was all wet and his paws were positioned as if he jumped off a building and killed himself. Itty Bitty was limp...he just passed when Dave found him. Dave said that his mouth was all wet as if Dottie was either licking him or suffocated him. Were they sick? Did she know? But Itty Bitty was doing so well and he seemed as if he was going to make it. I was so hopefull. I know he was only three weeks, but he was eating so well and so vocal...he even purred after we fed him. Was it all just a spoof? Or did Dottie just kill him because he was not hers and she knew that he wasn't? I am so baffled on this one...and so heart broken as well. Poor Dave...he was a bit attached to Itty Bitty, though we only had him for about four days.

Sunshine is all that is left. Her spirits are better then that of the others. I have not seen her nurse off of Dottie. Sunshine has not eaten this morning either....not on her own. I syringe fed her some baby food. I am afraid that Dottie may kill her as well....if she did indeed kill the other two. I am thinking of just taking her away from Dottie and soley caring for her myself. Any advice?

Rest in peace sweet Jersey and Itty Bitty. You are deeply missed. :(

A (very bad) picture of our only baby left. Sunshine. Six weeks old as of yesterday. Still very weak.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e186/LITTLEREDLADY500/Aug25_001.jpg

moosmom
08-25-2006, 12:15 PM
ROR,

Take the kitten away. If she's killed before, chances are she'll do it again. Better to be safe than sorry. Feed and nuture that poor baby. So far you're doing it right. Save that baby's life.

I am SO sorry about the other babies. :( It's so hard to lose babies you've rescued.. There's always that glimmer of hope.

Kudos to you for saving their lives!

Anikaca77
08-25-2006, 12:16 PM
OH I'm sorry. God bless those little ones.

lv4dogs
08-25-2006, 12:19 PM
I agree with Donna, I;d remove the last kitten and care for her yourself.

I am so sorry for your losses. many many {{hugs}} to you.
RIP sweet kittens.

mumpkees
08-25-2006, 12:22 PM
I am so very sorry for the loss of your little ones. The pain is no easier be that you share their lives for only minutes or years. My prayers go with you to give you strength to make it through your losses.

I've not been following as closely as I should, your threads on the little ones so I am not sure of the ages of the little ones.

Unfortuneately, I can't really give you an answer as to why the little ones didn't make it. It could be that they were born premature and as such their digestive systems and/or other internal organs were not fully developed. We have had that happen from time to time - just about the time they begin to eat solid food, we lose them.

It could also be that the mother is killing them. Sometimes it is because she knows that something is wrong. Sometimes it is because they are not hers and she won't accept them. Sometimes, the mother just canibalizes the kittens. We had a mother do that one time - we too thought the first two kits who were smaller did have something wrong with them, so we let the remaining kits stay with her. Everything was fine for a day or two, then she killed another two kittens - these two were fat, healthy and eating well. At that point, even though they were really too young to take from her we did and bottle fed them and did their potty. We didn't want to risk her cleaning them and deciding to end their lives.

I did some research and found while it is not common place, there are some cats, especially purebreds who do kill their young. In the breeder community, these cats are not bred again and immediately spayed as chances are the mother will do it again. Research doesn't even to really seem to have an answer as to why it happens.

If I were you, I would take the remaining kitten from her. I'd just not take any chances. I'd not even let her preform grooming as if she is killing them she will take the first opportunity the kitten is returned to her to end his life.

Again, I am so sorry for your losses. Run with the wind little ones...... /mari

kb2yjx
08-25-2006, 12:29 PM
I did not know that this thread was here, I just posted on Cat Memorial!! Still so sorry for your loss...

kimlovescats
08-25-2006, 01:00 PM
It sounds like the momma cat sensed something was wrong with the babies. Try not to beat yourself up over this, it just happens some times. :( I do agree that you should take the remaining baby away from her, and continue to syringe feed it yourself. Can you buy some kitten replacement (KMR) to syringe feed? Even though she is 6 weeks, she may not be able to eat enough wet food on her own to sustain herself. I have one now that is supposedly 6 weeks as well, but she refuses to do anything but syringe feed. I have found that using the large 12 cc syringes with the long narrow tips, are the best. They are mainly good because you don't have to stop and refill in between a screaming, starving baby!!! ;) I got mine at our local TSC (Tractor Supply Company). I am sure any local Feed & Seed or Farmer's Co-op store in your area would carry them. They are sold in packages without the needles!

GOOD LUCK, and don't give up ... you are doing a great job!

Hugs,
Kim ;)

Dorothy39
08-25-2006, 01:26 PM
How horrible for you and your fiance!!! :(

I am so sorry!!!!! I have known a few mother cats who have done the same thing that your Dottie did. It's as though they sense something is wrong, or, they can't/won't take care of the kittens. :(

I'm sure that you have removed Sunshine from Dottie by now.

again, This is natures way----- :(

Laura's Babies
08-25-2006, 01:44 PM
I know this is horriable for the two of you. I am so sorry to hear this. ((((HUGS)))))

Reachoutrescue
08-25-2006, 04:32 PM
It sounds like the momma cat sensed something was wrong with the babies. Try not to beat yourself up over this, it just happens some times. :( I do agree that you should take the remaining baby away from her, and continue to syringe feed it yourself. Can you buy some kitten replacement (KMR) to syringe feed? Even though she is 6 weeks, she may not be able to eat enough wet food on her own to sustain herself. I have one now that is supposedly 6 weeks as well, but she refuses to do anything but syringe feed. I have found that using the large 12 cc syringes with the long narrow tips, are the best. They are mainly good because you don't have to stop and refill in between a screaming, starving baby!!! ;) I got mine at our local TSC (Tractor Supply Company). I am sure any local Feed & Seed or Farmer's Co-op store in your area would carry them. They are sold in packages without the needles!

GOOD LUCK, and don't give up ... you are doing a great job!

Hugs,
Kim ;)

Thank you Kim. Yes I have been giving the kitten Milk Replacement and I also found a recipe for Kitten Glop...which Sunshine seems to like. It is high in calories. I do syringe feed her...and she ate on her own a few times. Today after I put her in her new kennel (with out her mom) I noticed some of the soft kitten food/lamb baby food mixture was gone. So I know she ate something on her own today. I also mixed water with a little of unflavored Pedialyte which I am sure she has drank. I will keep a close eye on her to be sure she is gaining weight and I will continue to syringe feed every four to six hours. I do not want to over feed her. Especially if she is eating on her own as well.

Thank you everybody for all your advice, understanding, and concern. It means alot to me that people support what I am doing. I don't want to be too hopefull with Sunshine...if I do and she dies...I will feel even worse.

Thank you everybody. Love to all. :)

doolittleky
08-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Tracy, I am so sorry about the babies. I know you are doing everything in your power to save them. I know it hurts so much when you lose them. I am praying for Sunshine.
Melissa

catmandu
08-25-2006, 05:55 PM
We are praying for Little Sunshine that she will be a Survivor, and grow to be a Big Beautiful Cat.
The Others are now Eternal Kittens, and will grw to be 6 months old, and stay Kittens forever.
And thier lives are richer as they were short changed on Earth.
And they will be Your Kitten Angels as you tried your best to help them.
They will greet you at The Rainbow Bridge.
One Fine Day.

Reachoutrescue
08-25-2006, 06:21 PM
We are praying for Little Sunshine that she will be a Survivor, and grow to be a Big Beautiful Cat.
The Others are now Eternal Kittens, and will grw to be 6 months old, and stay Kittens forever.
And thier lives are richer as they were short changed on Earth.
And they will be Your Kitten Angels as you tried your best to help them.
They will greet you at The Rainbow Bridge.
One Fine Day.

Thank you, Catmandu. I so appreciate how you always say the right things! I know they are no longer in pain and no longer suffering.

I just came home from dropping my boys off at my sister's. I went in to check on Sunshine...and there she was in her new kennel, laying there. She looked up at me and gave me a silent meow. I picked her up and told her she was a good baby. I put her back after a few minutes of cuddling. She started lapping up some of the kitten glop I had made for her. I am happy she is hanging on. I hope I can save her. She is so sweet.

Thank you everybody once again for your warm wishes and caring words. It means so much to me, Dave, our boys, and our kitty babies. :)

Sevaede
08-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Aww, I am so sorry! :( *hugs*

You are so sweet! Thank you for doing all you can to take care of all these kitties and ensuring that they have happy lives! :)

kimlovescats
08-25-2006, 09:13 PM
You are doing everything right, and I just bet your little Sunshine girl will make it!!!! :D

HUGS,
Kim