PDA

View Full Version : A little update with therapy dogs and help needed.

Flatcoatluver
08-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Hey all! If you don't remember my thread from a couple months ago. click here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=110027&highlight=cgc)
Last Saturday my friend and I went to a meeting, to take a tour and see if we like the facility of the senior home and if it will be suitable for T.j to be good in. It’s such a nice and clean place. A little depressing because they have a whole hall just for altimers (sp). They have a lovely garden area that will be perfect for T.j to start and then he will eventually start going into peoples rooms. I was lucky and I didn’t need to get a CGC. We will be starting this Saturday. We plan on doing the therapy twice a month. I am still a little nervous about if he will be scared at first because of the different smells. I bought him his first halter and a bandana just for therapy work. I figure that I am going to make this my senior project but the senior project has to have science behind it. My whole point of making this thread was for ideas to advance my senior project and to figure out the science behind therapy dogs.

lv4dogs
08-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Thats great! Good luck with it.
If you are nervous TJ will most liekly pick up on that. Could you possibly take him with you first, just like you did, to get a "feel" for the place per say and see how reacts. I think that will help the both of yous.
Let us know how it goes!

Flatcoatluver
08-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Thats great! Good luck with it.
If you are nervous TJ will most liekly pick up on that. Could you possibly take him with you first, just like you did, to get a "feel" for the place per say and see how reacts. I think that will help the both of yous.
Let us know how it goes!
I think we will get their 15 mins. early we have to check in and stuff and so that will give him a little feel of it. But because they already have it on the scedule it will be to late to say lets just have T.j have a tour. I'm not so nervous, I'm more excited. Will that mess him up? To start off T.j will only meet to seniors. Should I bring treats or will that be to much of a distraction?

Pembroke_Corgi
08-24-2006, 05:16 PM
I did a project in my general psychology class a few years ago about how animals and animal contact can improve people's health.

Feel free to PM me and I can give you some good articles. There is a lot of science behind it!! You can use evidence from previous studies, then maybe interview the residents of your facitility and ask them how it makes them feel to visit with you & TJ. I think that's a cool senior project! Good luck. :)