PDA

View Full Version : Maddening new laws when you renew your driver's license

Pam
08-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Well it's that time. My license will expire on Sept. 30th. I have seen friends and co-workers trying to scramble together all of the necessary forms of IDs so that they can get their licenses renewed and now it is my turn. Almost a month ago I went armed with what I thought was sufficient information/evidence proving that I am who I am, according to the paperwork they had sent me. They turned me away because my Marriage License was not the *official one from the state.* It had the state seal on it but was signed by the pastor who married us, so I was told it was the *church one.*

They gave me a phone number to call and find out how to get my official one. I was told that I had to mail two checks - one for $15.00 and one for $20.00. Can't even remember the reason now. Well, my bank statement just came and these checks are still outstanding. I just called the phone number again in Philadelphia where we had applied for our license. He said the check probably never came but he'd research it and get back to me. Why do these things happen? Why can't unimportant things get lost in the mail rather than something this important? Maybe the checks are just sitting on someone's desk somewhere waiting to be processed. *sigh* Anyone else have problems when it came time to renewing your license?

Edwina's Secretary
08-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Holy cow! When we moved to California and I had to get a new license I did not have to go through that. It was about a year and a half ago. I had my Illinois driver's license and I think...something to show the new address. That was it.

Why on EARTH would your marriage license have anything to do with your driver's license???

Is this something new to do with Homeland Security?

When we were married we requested multiple copies of our marriage license - especially as we do not use the same last name. Just recently my husband's medical insurer was verifying coverage eligiblity and the marriage license was NOT acceptable as evidence of eligibility. I understand the point...you can get unmarried. We had to supply a copy of our last income tax return as proof.

JenBKR
08-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Wow that's crazy! You're not going to believe this, but my license needed renewed right around the time I was getting married (this was in 2000) so when I went up to renew, I changed my name on the forms to my new married name. They didn't ask for any proof at all of my new name change.....and I wasn't even married yet! It was 2 days before my wedding. Looking back, it's actually kind of scary that they processed it without any proof that my name had changed. I just marked the little box that said I had a different name due to marriage. Maybe ES is right, maybe it has something to do with homeland security or something.

Lizzie
08-24-2006, 02:13 PM
If it has to do with Homeland Security, I'm glad I don't have to renew for another three years since I'm a resident alien. Maybe they'll want the big chest x-ray I was forced to have in London 30 years ago before I emigrated, and told I had to carry on the plane only to have the INS wave it away when I arrived. I've been wondering if that thing would ever come in useful. :D

I renewed in Washington State a few years ago, and was several months late, but they simply processed it and I was in and out in 10 minutes.

beeniesmom
08-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Wow that's crazy! You're not going to believe this, but my license needed renewed right around the time I was getting married (this was in 2000) so when I went up to renew, I changed my name on the forms to my new married name. They didn't ask for any proof at all of my new name change.....and I wasn't even married yet! It was 2 days before my wedding. Looking back, it's actually kind of scary that they processed it without any proof that my name had changed. I just marked the little box that said I had a different name due to marriage. Maybe ES is right, maybe it has something to do with homeland security or something.

The SAME thing happened to me, but it was the day before my wedding.

RedHedd
08-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Oh yeah- going through it right now. My eyes are getting bad so two years ago when I renewed I had to get a DMV form signed by my eye doctor. I just received my new renewal and again it says I have to have a form signed - they give the form number, but do they provide the form? NO. Last time it took three appearances at the DMV and finally a driving test to get my license renewed. I have a sinking feeling I'll have to go through the same rigmarole again. :rolleyes: Bureaucratic red tape and our tax dollars hard at work - NOT!

Logan
08-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Gosh Pam, just last night, I heard a news report that NC is going to start renewing driver's licenses through the mail or online! I know that SC doesn't ask for that kind of information to renew, either. In fact, I think you just take your existing driver's license and your social security card in and they just do it. How strange!

Logan

Lizzie
08-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Gosh Pam, just last night, I heard a news report that NC is going to start renewing driver's licenses through the mail or online! I know that SC doesn't ask for that kind of information to renew, either. In fact, I think you just take your existing driver's license and your social security card in and they just do it. How strange!

Logan

They've had that available in Washington State for a few years now, and it's great, but ours only last for one year when you do it through the mail.

Perhaps it is only state laws that are hindering Pam?

Logan
08-24-2006, 02:52 PM
could be, Lizzie. The new NC law will renew them for 8 years!!!! :) I think we have a 10 year renewal in SC now, actually, but we still have to go to the DMV.

Logan

CathyBogart
08-24-2006, 03:55 PM
I just had to renew my license - and they wouldn't let me renew it while I had a motorcycle permit!! :mad: So I lost my motorcycle permit. :(

Pam
08-24-2006, 03:58 PM
I am totally amazed that no one else has to go through this! Yes, it is a Homeland Security-inspired thing. The thing that bothers me about this is that I went with the adequate number of *points* (see link below if interested) and was turned away because my Marriage License was not the official state one. I had LOTS of other info along (SS card, bank statement, photo driver's ID) which added up to six points but was told that since I had presented my Marriage License that became my *secondary* ID and the other items were not even considered after that. (I am imagining it is because my name on my birth certificate is different from my name on every other document I have and the marriage license would explain the reason for that). What a mess! This is just another endearing thing about NJ I guess, along with our ridiculously high property taxes, car insurance rates and the recent hike to a 7% sales tax. NJ - - ya gotta love it. :(

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/HowToRenew.htm

Edwina's Secretary
08-24-2006, 04:37 PM
7% sales tax???????....you could be here in the Land Beyond.......where it is...7.75%!!!!!

Soapets
08-24-2006, 04:56 PM
I just renewed my driver's license in March. I have a CDL so I can drive our church bus sometimes. They had mailed me some paperwork to complete and bring along, stating that I meet all of the health requirements, etc. Otherwise all I needed was my old driver's license, a check for the renewal amount, and I had to take a vision test, and that was it. My license is good for another five years now. I think Nebraska's driver's license "testing" is a lot more lax than some other states.

Deb

Pembroke_Corgi
08-24-2006, 05:29 PM
I got my Colorado license a few weeks after we moved here- *whew* it was a hassle!! I looked online before hand, so I knew since I was out of state I needed my Iowa license PLUS another "offcial" ID. Luckily I have my passport. But the waiting in line!

I went on a horribly hot day and ended up in line for over an hour. They snapped my photo really quickly and gave me a piece of paper as my temp. license! In Iowa, they give you your license right away; it felt terribly unofficial carrying around a slip of paper for a week and a half. Luckily I wasn't pulled over!

lizbud
08-24-2006, 06:04 PM
It's not that complicated in Indiana, that is if you can find a time when the
new software implemented last Memorial day is up & running.Some days the
new system is down all day. It's been a real mess all over the state.My license is due for renewal in 2009. Maybe, just maybe it might be working by
then. :rolleyes: Renewals are much easier if there are no changes in name,
address, etc are required.

Cinder & Smoke
08-24-2006, 06:27 PM
We're in Ohio ... :rolleyes:

License??

Just go to the store and buy a large box of Cracker Jacks -

The "Prize" is your Ohio Driver License - good for 4 years, I think. :p

Dunno if they're going to make an effort to tighten things up or not ...
last renewal I got took 1 minute for the picture, 45 seconds for the "eye test",
and 30 seconds for the "has anything changed questions",
followed by signing and promising to have insurance - NO proof required -
just a "promise" ...

Then wait 5 minutes for the system to spit out your "new" license ...
which the clerk mixed up with several others and handed mine to a teeny-bopper GIRL -
who had a major upset when she looked at "her" photo!

So it goes in Ohio.

Uabassoon
08-24-2006, 06:46 PM
7% sales tax???????....you could be here in the Land Beyond.......where it is...7.75%!!!!!

That's nothing, it's now 8.1 in Tucson!

The silliest thing about Arizona, your license is good until your 65! That's right, at 16 you go and take your picture and you can keep it until your a grandmother! Mine is good until 2046.

Lizzie
08-24-2006, 07:01 PM
That's nothing, it's now 8.1 in Tucson!

The silliest thing about Arizona, your license is good until your 65! That's right, at 16 you go and take your picture and you can keep it until your a grandmother! Mine is good until 2046.

Perhaps it might have been for life if all the retirees hadn't decided to make Arizona their home.

And Washington State has 8.8% sales tax, at least in King County (Seattle).

Sevaede
08-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Freakin a, I know how you feel. I needed to get my ID switched over a few days before I left to get Spanky as I thought it would make the process easier whenever they had to verify the name on the ticket. I gave them my marriage license, both SS cards, my old ID, a copy of my birth certificate, and some other things. None of it mattered as my birth certificate was not the original and I have NO idea who has it (neither parents do).

Sales tax is 8.6% here. :p

Daisy and Delilah
08-24-2006, 09:52 PM
We've been renewing driver's licenses online/by mail for years here in Florida. I'm shocked by what some of you have had to go through. I just renewed mine in July online. It took about 5 minutes total. I'm good for eight more years. Eight years ago, I renewed by mail because I had no computer. At the end of this eight years, it will be a total of 16 years I haven't had to go into the DMV at all. No wonder we have so many accidents in Florida and so many incompetent drivers on the road. I must live a sheltered life. I thought all states had been on mail in or online renewal systems for years. :confused:

Uabassoon
08-24-2006, 09:57 PM
We've been renewing driver's licenses online/by mail for years here in Florida.

This thread reminded me that I finally need to update my address, I also went online. It took about 5 minutes, my new DL should be here next week, plus I also registered to vote :D

Corinna
08-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Ummm we don't have sales tax in Montana! We have 8 or 10 year licensesMust go to the DMV also.

Sevaede
08-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Ummm we don't have sales tax in Montana! We have 8 or 10 year licensesMust go to the DMV also.

That's another thing about Oregon that I miss! NO SALES TAX!

My husband, when we were visiting my sister and brother, and I had stopped into a gas station for gas and drinks. He was standing at the register trying to figure out the tax, when I pointed to a sign that said "Welcome to Oregon! No sales tax!" and he was like, "OH YEAH! :D:D"

Pam
08-25-2006, 05:07 AM
This thread has been a real eye opener for me!! I had no idea that things were SO different state to state. Our neighboring state, Delaware, also has no sales tax and the property taxes are unbelievably low. So many people go to Delaware just to buy their cigarettes (roughly $28 per carton as opposed to about $55 per carton here in NJ). Seniors are retiring there in droves. I don't know about their licensing requirements but Delaware is looking pretty good to me for retirement. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-25-2006, 05:16 AM
WOW !!!! Here we never have to renew our drivers licence! But may be it is different in the US because there your license is usually your ID. We all have a passport here, which we ALWAYS have to carry with us; so that is our official ID! I remember years ago when we tried to buy some new luggage in a department store in New York. They asked for our drivers license to contole our ID; Bernard replied: "hey, what is wrong with a normal passport??"
LOL!!

ps. Our passport has same size as a Mastercard, so it is easy to carry!

Pam
08-25-2006, 05:41 AM
Lut I am so happy you replied. I was wondering how things were managed outside of the US. It's easy to see how a passport would be a better form of ID as, living with so many other countries so close by, it is probably used very often so needs to kept close at hand anyway. :)

I am still reeling at the high sales tax that some of you pay and also the ease with which you can renew your licenses. :eek:

Killearn Kitties
08-25-2006, 05:53 AM
Our driver's licenses are also issued until age 65. After that, you need to have a test every two years, I think. (I'm a bit hazy on that, I will check nearer the time!)

Rachel
08-25-2006, 05:53 AM
We're in Ohio ... :rolleyes:

Then wait 5 minutes for the system to spit out your "new" license ...
which the clerk mixed up with several others and handed mine to a teeny-bopper GIRL -
who had a major upset when she looked at "her" photo!

As they say.....priceless!

Daisy and Delilah
08-25-2006, 07:14 AM
No state tax in Florida either. Come on down Pam!! :) ;) :)

I have edited this to change it to state tax from sales tax. We do have sales tax here. What was I thinking? I wish we didn't have sales tax :p

JenBKR
08-25-2006, 07:21 AM
Wow what differences in sales tax! It's 6% here.

ramanth
08-25-2006, 08:28 AM
MI has encouraged renewing by mail and online for a few years now too.

My license expired this June, a week before I got married. I could of gone the week with an expired license, but I didn't want to risk it.

So I paid the $12 renewal fee, filled out all the appropriate paperwork to have my address changed on my license (which is free), and mailed it in early June.

Weeks later it still hadn't show up. Where was it? At my parents house. They had completely ignored the paperwork and my license had my old address. :eek: :mad: What was even the point?

So a week later, I went in with my marriage certificate and had my name changed (a $9 charge) and address changed. They never asked for proof of the new address. It's good until 2010.

I was in and out in an hour.

I can't believe the hassle some of you have to go through. :(

And for the record, MI has a 6% sales tax.

cyber-sibes
08-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Ya just never know...when we moved from Illinois back to Ohio (in 2002), we went in to get new liscenses. I got mine in about 5 minutes. Then they came out & told my husband his was being held up for non payment of a citation....ok, he doesn't remember getting a ticket.....just when & where was the citation from?
HE GOT A TICKET IN NEW YORK STATE IN 1970!!!!!!! :eek: Ohio & NY must be getting desperate. I'm sure the cost of doing the government paperwork far far exceeded the cost of the ticket & late fees. :rolleyes:

Pembroke_Corgi
08-25-2006, 08:50 AM
In the city of Denver it is over 8%. I always think I'm being over-charged until I figure in the ridiculous sales tax.

lbaker
08-25-2006, 09:22 AM
I just renewed mine a few weeks ago and had much the same experience as Phred. Took the old one in, quick eye test and new picture (the lady even took 3 pictures because she didn't like the first two :eek: - it's not bad actually - amazing). In and out with new license in 5 minutes. Good until 2011. I love the new MD license, it has a blue crab as well as the state flag as little icons :cool:

Pam
09-07-2006, 05:35 AM
Well after almost a month (sent my first checks on Aug. 4th) I now have my new license! The dear man at City Hall suggested I send along two more checks but send them Registered Mail. He received them and remembered me :) and worked on my request personally. I finally had my Marriage License copy in my hands on Tuesday afternoon and renewed my license yesterday. :) I am good until 2010! YAY! The new license is, of course, another photo ID but also has a holographic design. Pretty cool looking. :cool:

Oh, and just a little info here for you folks in Pennsylvania. My friend at City Hall told me that Pennsylvania has adopted the *six point system* as well. He said they are going to be even more busy there at the marriage licensing bureau in the future! ;)

Laura's Babies
09-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Our sales tax is 8.5%...YIKES!

We can renew online too but I didn't know mine had expired until I went to get my car inspected.. Took 5 hours at DMV waiting my turn.. Everywhere you go is still crowded with Katrina folks.

Mississippi's can be done online also.