PDA

View Full Version : SOmeone needs to tell this idiot that it is 2006, not 1886

Lady's Human
08-24-2006, 09:41 AM
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060824/NEWS01/608240332/1002/NEWS

Black students give up your seats to the white students?????

I'm surprised, yet at the same time it doesn't surprise me at all. :rolleyes:

Black students ordered to give up seats to white children
Status of Red River Parish bus driver is unknown.
August 24, 2006
By Vickie Welborn

COUSHATTA -- Nine black children attending Red River Elementary School were directed last week to the back of the school bus by a white driver who designated the front seats for white children.

The situation has outraged relatives of the black children who have filed a complaint with school officials.

Superintendent Kay Easley will meet with the family members in her office this morning.

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People also is considering filing a formal charge with the U.S. Department of Justice. NAACP District Vice President James Panell, of Shreveport, said he would apprise Justice attorneys of the situation this week. He's considering asking for an investigation into the bus incident and other aspects of the school system's operations, including pupil-teacher ratio as it relates to the numbers of white and black children, along with a breakdown of the numbers of black and white teachers employed.

"If the smoke is there, then there's probably fire somewhere else," Panell said in a phone interview from New Orleans. "At this point, it is extremely alarming. We fought that battle 50 years ago, and we won. Why is this happening again?"

Easley would not comment much on the allegations Wednesday, saying it is a personnel issue. She acknowledged that she has investigated the claim. And she confirmed that the bus driver did not run her route Wednesday, nor would she today.

Asked if the driver would work for the rest of the year, Easley said, "I'm not going to answer the questions. "» You're getting all that you're going to get from me. I'm sorry."

Red River Elementary School Principal Jamie Lawrence tried to rectify the seating situation when it was brought to her attention. But it was ultimately handled at the Central Office, Patricia Sessoms said.

Sessoms aunt, Iva Richmond, is the mother of two of the children, ages 14 and 15, and foster parent to three others, ages 5, 6 and 10. Janice Williams, who is the mother of the other four children, is Richmond's neighbor. All nine children catch the bus at a stop on Ashland Road.

Sessoms will join Richmond and Williams in their meeting with Easley today. Sessoms said they would ask for bus driver Delores Davis' immediate termination. Davis, who originates her bus route in Martin, has called Richmond to apologize, Sessoms said. A message left on Davis' answering machine late Wednesday afternoon was not immediately returned.

After Richmond and Williams filed complaints with the School Board, Transportation Supervisor Jerry Carlisle asked Davis to make seat assignments for her passengers, Sessoms said.

"But she still assigned the black children to the back of the bus," she added.

And the nine children had to share only two seats, meaning the older children had to hold the younger ones in their laps.

A new solution reached Monday by School Board officials has a black bus driver driving across town to pick up the nine black children.

"I think the whole school system needs to be reviewed in Red River Parish," Sessoms said.

Sessoms, who has two children at Red River Elementary, said she has no problems with her bus driver. "I have a wonderful bus driver," she added. Sessoms' request to have her young children sit near the front because of their ages was granted.

School Board member Gene Longino said Wednesday evening that he had not heard about the situation involving the nine children.

"I don't know anything about that. "» Until something formally comes to the School Board members through the superintendent, we don't know the details," Longino said.

School Board President Ricky Cannon was at work Wednesday evening and unavailable for comment. Board member J.B. McElwee also was not at home. Calls to the homes of Cleve Miller, Kassandria Wells White, Karen Womack and Jessie Webber were not answered.

Miss Z
08-24-2006, 09:48 AM
I can't see the site, but it sounds horrid from what you posted. :( :( :(

Must be time to promote those 'Beat Racism' wristbands again, because that is bang out of order. Nobody is sub-human and everyone has rights :mad:

moosmom
08-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Sounds like another Rosa Parks moment. Poor kids. No one should be treated like second class citizens. That's despicable!!

JenBKR
08-24-2006, 10:09 AM
You have GOT to be kidding me.....I thought we were getting past all this! My gosh, I will never understand racism, not at all. And for it to have happened to those young kids..... :mad:

BOBS DAD
08-24-2006, 10:24 AM
It just takes one idiot to start things all up again. I have no doubt this is true as we have many bigots and racists in our country who propogate these ideas and sadly, pass them on to their children.

I wonder how people justify these notions - as many are religious (or claim to be). As a christian, I am taught that God created "all humankind" in his likeness. I presume other religions teach the same. I see no mention of inferior or subhumans in my Bible - although we do see a preference to Jew over Gentile. If we are Christian, then we pay homage and revere Jesus as our Lord and savior. We have many paintings and icons to support that fact. Yet we paint Jesus as European, with brown (to blonde hair) and blue eyes. I am sure we did this as a means of allowing those in converting nations and lands an opportunity to better relate to him. BUT TO BE DEVOTE AND EDUCATED - it is easy accept that Jesus was most likely a dark, middle eastern man - more closely resembling Osama Bin Laden than Brad Pitt. And to those who share my faith, yet hate Jews... Jesus was a Jew!

It is all sooo crazy. We are but one people!!! Tell your children this often. Wish them the very best. I tell my daughters that I hope for them to have a loving, caring and devoted husband. If he is white, black, brown, red, yellow or polka dotted is secondary. If he loves you (truly) and is a good husband, father and caretaker - you will be lucky!!!

Cataholic
08-24-2006, 01:07 PM
[url]
A new solution reached Monday by School Board officials has a black bus driver driving across town to pick up the nine black children..

WAH??? Separate but equal at its best.....

Lizzie
08-24-2006, 02:32 PM
My first response was an open mouth and mute shake of the head, a feeling of "how can this happen?" My second was feeling so very sorry for the children, what a terrible humiliation for them and rather frightening also.

I'm glad it's been reported, very glad that the spolight is on the community in which it happened, and I hope they keep that spotlight on very brightly to humiliate the perpetrator and those who would support her.

I had a grandmother who used to refuse to sit on a bus seat if she saw a non-white person get off it. I laughed at first, it was so silly, but then got mad. I made up a black boyfriend who was also a vicar (she didn't like them either) and tormented her by talking about him.

Muddy4paws
08-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Well to be honest it doesn't suprise me at all..

When I was at school there was a very clear race divide and if say a black person cross onto the white persons area it would cause chaos etc it was the same for white people and black. I am a white female and I suffered abuse from a black guy in school and when I reported it guess what happened?
I got told I was racist.. Want to know why? Because he didnt want to get in trouble and he said I was being racist to him so it all got turned onto me because I'm white and its not often a black guy is racist to a white person apparently. It was a very big issue at my school if the teacher told a black person off it would be classed as racist and I know racism when I see it and I dont stick up for it in anyway but honestly the teachers would of done exactly the same with a white student so really they didnt stand a chance.

I really cant see it changing to be honest It would be lovely for things to work out perfectly together but I cant see it ever happening, I think there are too many stubborn people in the world to ever let that happen.

I just want to state right here very clearly.. Im NOT racist I stick to what I believe in and if anyone, despite race, colour, religion whatever, treats me with respect I damn well give them the same respect which makes me so angry on this subject! I've had friend of many religions and ethnics and I have to say I didnt agree with everything about their religion but as far as I'm concerned its their beliefs and everyone is entitled to them.

I had a grandmother who used to refuse to sit on a bus seat if she saw a non-white person get off it. I laughed at first, it was so silly, but then got mad. I made up a black boyfriend who was also a vicar (she didn't like them either) and tormented her by talking about him.

That just made me laugh, quite evil really :D

Lizzie
08-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Even funnier was when my step-mother called her to tell her I was getting married, and at 28 she considered me covered with dust on the shelf, the first thing my grandmother exclaimed over the phone was "Not the black vicar!!!!!!" Honest.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-24-2006, 04:47 PM
I have never understood how anyone could dislike someone just because of the color of their skin. The reasoning behind that just flies over my head.

By the way, Fox news just had a report on the CBS show Survivor. It's teams are supposed to be divided by race this season. Won't be watching THAT show ever again if it is true!!! :mad:

Karen
08-24-2006, 04:56 PM
I have never understood how anyone could dislike someone just because of the color of their skin. The reasoning behind that just flies over my head.

By the way, Fox news just had a report on the CBS show Survivor. It's teams are supposed to be divided by race this season. Won't be watching THAT show ever again if it is true!!! :mad:

They actually have been under criticism for their lack of minorities on the show, so this time I have read there are teams split by race and ethnicity - Asian, Hispanic, African American, and Caucasian. They knew it would likely cause controversy, but in TV, any publicity is good publicity.

I hope that bus driver is fired, then sent to do "community service" somewhere not of her own skin color, so she can realize that we are all the same - human beings, regardless of skin color.

Pembroke_Corgi
08-24-2006, 06:08 PM
:confused: That person has enough good judgement to be driving a bus filled with kids?? How did they ever get that job in the first place?

lizbud
08-24-2006, 06:37 PM

Apparently yes. I think it's not a good idea at all, but then I never watched
it before, so I won't likely watch whatever they do.

Sevaede
08-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Wow! I had to do a double take when I read the link of that site!

That is so messed up. Nobody should go through that.

I live in Shreveport and I *think* Coushatta is like an hour away. Laura, am I right? It's a pretty small town and, from what I've heard, hasn't really had problems minus this incident!

BC_MoM
08-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Oy vey. :rolleyes:
Those poor kids.. I feel so bad for them.

Corinna
08-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Did ywe just step in to a time warp or what?

Sevaede
08-25-2006, 08:00 AM
It's been plastered all over the news this morning.

They are going to have a hearing where the driver will have to be present. However, the superintendent of that school said she will probably *NOT* be fired. The driver WAS suspended and now they've changed it to suspended w/o pay.

They said that it was only something like 1-3 students that it happened to.

I think it will be a big step against racism when people can stop referring to each other based on skin tone.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-25-2006, 01:20 PM
They said that it was only something like 1-3 students that it happened to.

That was 1-3 students too many! :(

Sevaede
08-25-2006, 09:27 PM
That was 1-3 students too many! :(

?????

I never said it wasn't. :confused: