PDA

View Full Version : Shar pei / Labrador mix pup

M&M's Mommy
08-24-2006, 01:00 AM
I found a puppy hidding behind one of the bushes on my back yard, he is probably a shar pei/ labrador mix as most people who've met him said so. I wonder what type of temperament I can expect him to have, and what types of health issues will he likely have, if any. Also, how big will he be at full grown?

He's absolutely a doll right now. He is VERY calm in comparison to Missy & Mocha, he lets me pet him while he eats, and touch his food without any problems. He doesn't seem to be a big barker even though he has been barked at & harrassed by Missy & Mocha :). He's very friendly with people and dogs alike. Does a calm puppy always turn out to be a calm dog, or their personality will change as they grow up?

I'm still debating whether we're fitted to be his owner, or he'd be better off with someone else, as we already have two small dogs, will have a baby soon, and are both working fultime.

M&M's Mommy
08-24-2006, 01:01 AM
I have no ideas how & when it got to my yard. M&M started barking last Thursday at one of those bushes in my backyard (we have a 29,000 sf back yard, so I almost never get to the end of it), but I thought it was probably a stray cat or a mouse or something, so I didn't check. When their barkings continued, on Friday afternoon, I checked & found a dog!!

He was really shy at first. It took me three meals to lure him out of his hidding place. He didn't let me touch him at first. I had to sit still & let him sniff at me for a while, then he slowly allowed me to touch him. Now all he wants to do is to be touched. He follows me around like I've had him forever, and is very attached to me. Is it odd that he only craves for my attention, but doesn't seem to be interested in my husband at all?

Since I found him, I've posted his pictures around in the neighborhood, placed an ads in the local newspaper (missing pet section) - but it has been almost 5 days and no ones has claimed him yet

M&M's Mommy
08-24-2006, 01:03 AM
How could someone not love a dog this beautiful?

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/ca_dao/Pic3.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/ca_dao/Pic2.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/ca_dao/Pic4.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/ca_dao/Pic1.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/ca_dao/Pic5.jpg

Jods
08-24-2006, 05:36 AM
oh my he IS beautiful I would snatch him up in a heartbeat!!! Mercedes was a calm puppy as was our retriever and they are calm dogs. Kong my lab is a very hyper puppy hopefuly he calms down :( Good luck with him he is BEAUTIFUL!

Daisy and Delilah
08-24-2006, 06:39 AM
He's one cute little guy!! Is there anyone on PT that doesn't feel like kissing him? What a sweetheart. I hope he fits in well at your house and we get to see more of him!! :)

buttercup132
08-24-2006, 07:12 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!
That puppy is sooo cute!!!
I think youll be a good owner. Just reasearch Shar pei care because I know you need to clean in those wrinkles because they can smell and get dirty.

Your so lucky that you found him!
His whole body lookss shar pei if it wasnt for his tail id day he was pure.

pitc9
08-24-2006, 07:28 AM
He looks almost pure Shar Pei!
Have you called local shelters to see if anyone has called about a missing pet?

zoey
08-24-2006, 07:44 AM
What a beautiful boy!!!!!!
I was really hoping for pics when i read your first posts and then SHAZAM!!! there they were!! Such a lovely little dog and your pics are amazing. *those eyes* awwwww i want him, NOW!!
It's great that he's calm, too.

lv4dogs
08-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Oh my goodness, he's SO cute!!!! I hope he finds his forever home soon.

animal_rescue
08-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Awww he's adorable! We had a a shar pei/labrador mix at the HS when I first starting working at the Humane Society.. Luckily he was adopted. I adored him too! He was just the sweetest boy I met.

Jadapit
08-24-2006, 09:42 AM
He is adorable! The first time I saw him I said he was pit/bull lab. Was I ever wrong. He does look shar-pei / lab. I had a shar-pei / pit mix. He was a wonderful dog. He was really sweet. He didn’t mind other dogs to much, he had so much personality. He was very protective of me and our house.
He loved people though. Maybe he is responding more to you because you were the one that fed him. If you decide to keep him he will be your constant friend and companion. That’s how my Kato was anyway. I loved that dog so much he was my heart and soul dog. Kato was pretty stubborn he had to be shown we were the leader of the pack not him. I would take your guy you found in a heartbeat if I could.

I have a friend that owns a shar-pei / lab/ pit mix. His name is MaGoo here is a picture of him it might give you an idea on the size. Kato was pretty musclar but he did have pit in him. Do you think you might keep him?

I have to add one more thing your guy has such a sparkle in his eye, so did Kato. They really have a lot of personality it seems to show through their eyes a lot. :D

This is MaGoo
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/pc2e35bf7dc848bb6b08fe30359183add/ed576743.jpg

Muddy4paws
08-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Hes stunning! I hope it works out ok for you to keep him, it might take him time to come out of his shell but I hope you keep him!! :)

zoomer
08-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Oh my goodness! He is one ADORABLE puppy! I wish you good luck and hope you do keep him. He looks pure Shar Pei to me. I think your best bet is to research Shar Peis.

Sevaede
08-24-2006, 07:28 PM
He is a Q T pie!

If you feel that you can do it and it won't be overwhelming, then I'd say go for it. Might want to wait a little while longer for the owners to show up as some people can be a little late to get to finding their lost pet for whatever reason.

The_Duck
08-24-2006, 07:50 PM
If I found something that cute in a bush in my backyard, you'd never be able to pry him out of my grasp. He's an absolute angel! Those eyes and those wrinkles... *dreamy sigh* He looks like a keeper to me. I would, however, try and remain as un-atatched as possible (easier said than done, I'm sure) for a while longer. Perhaps his humans are out of town? Keep doing what you're doing and hopefully you'll get an answer one way or the other. But as long as he's in your hands... Feel free to shower us with pictures like he might not be there tomorrow. ;) :P :D

*LabLoverKEB*
08-24-2006, 09:23 PM
WOW! Is he ever stunning! :eek:

K9karen
08-24-2006, 11:49 PM
He looks just like the dog around the block from me- a Shar Pei/Lab. If you don't find his owner, I hope, despite your hectic life, you keep him. He sounds perfect and sweet and already in love with you!

CathyBogart
08-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Mmmm, he's such a hunky dog!

dragonfly
08-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Adorable, had I found him in my bushes I know for sure I'd have a second dog. A friend of mine has a little SharPei mis that looks just like him and she is so sweet. She's wonderfully outgoing and an absolute love bug. I hope you get to keep him.

buttercup132
08-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Did you find the owners or keep him?

M&M's Mommy
08-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Update

Just wanna give you guys some update on my foster boy...

I took him to the vet on Saturday to get him scanned for microchip, but he has none. I called the local shelters many times to see if someone had called for him, there was none.

I then asked my friends & relatives to see if anyone would like to have him. Everyone who met him loved him from the first sight, but not everyone could afford to have a big dog (including us).. Finally, we gave him to my bro-in-law's bestfriend who promised to take good care of him. At least I'll get a chance to see him in the future.

I missed him dearly, and am sure he misses me, too.. That's why it's so hard for the first day, but I'm okay now.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/ca_dao/Pic1.jpg
He came into my life and there he left an imprint forever.

My Peanuts
08-31-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm so glad that everything worked out for the little guy. :)

shais_mom
10-16-2006, 09:36 AM
wow I ever came into this thread late but is he GORGEOUS! do you have an update on him?
I know you just got a new (adorable) puppy so your busy but when you get a chance!
:)

Anita Cholaine
10-16-2006, 09:42 AM
He must be such a sweetheart!
Good to know that you found a home for him, and that you will be able to see him in the future :)