PDA

View Full Version : rental car on vacation

Sirrahsim
08-23-2006, 07:21 PM
In just 2 weeks, my little family will be taking our much anticipated vacation to Hawaii!! We will be there for a whole week in an ocean view room in Waikiki!!
Question: Should we rent a car for the whole time we're there, or just for a few days?? It would be cheaper to rent for a just a few days, but there is no way we'd be able to visit all of the places that we want to. We have a toddler so it's not as though we can go to a bunch of places in one day :D What do you think??

lbaker
08-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Ask at the front desk for special tour/side trips that don't have you on a specific schedule.. perhaps one that is a "round-a-bout" that lets you get off and on when it's good for you. Lots of places have them. Driving in a busy, strange place can be stressful, just what you want to avoid. Have fun!

Sirrahsim
08-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Driving in a busy, strange place can be stressful, just what you want to avoid. Have fun!

*giggles* you've never driven in Japan, have you? :) After driving *here* I could drive through Dallas at rush hour and feel cool as a cucumber :D I will call up the front desk though :) thanks for the idea

kuhio98
08-23-2006, 08:33 PM
I'd keep it for the whole week. Some rental car companies have special weekly rates.

You guys are probably going to want to drive over to the other side of Oahu and go to the Polynesian Cultural Center or Kaneohe Bay and Sea Life Park and Hunama Bay etc. You don't want to spend your time waiting on transportation. You can come and go as you please.

Jods
08-24-2006, 05:40 AM
I said the whole time to it would suck to get there and not be able to fit it all in or something before you had to take the car back. Better to have it then miss it after it was gone. Don'
t know if it rains there much but what if it rains?

Lady's Human
08-24-2006, 07:22 AM
You're a military family, correct?

Rental companies normally have special rates for mil. personnel, so renting it for the week should be no problem at all.

Cataholic
08-24-2006, 09:52 AM
With a child, I would rent for the whole week. Are you taking a carseat on the plane? If not, you will have to rent one there.

caseysmom
08-24-2006, 09:56 AM
I am not sure which island you are going to but when I went to Maui we had to drive to everything, I would definetely want a car the whole time.

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-24-2006, 10:02 AM
I voted 3 to 4 days! A few days at your hotel and surroundings might be enough;And anyways, with a todler youcannot participate in excursions with others; so rent it as long as possible! :)