PDA

View Full Version : Getting my first Betta!

sammy101
08-23-2006, 06:36 PM
My mom is allowing me to get a Betta fish! I've been wanting one for a while now so i'm excited im finally getting one. I have never owned one so i have questions about them!
I'll be getting from from Petsmart,is that an ok place to get one?
What kind tank do i need?
I dont think they need a filter,they need plants right? What kind plants?
What kind food do you recommend? (that you can get from petsmart)
How often do i clean the tank?
Water needs to be room temperature? From bottled water or just tap water?
And please add anything else that i would need to know. I havent had a fish for about 10 years because we move around so much.But were settled here for a few years so i can finally get one.

thanks! :)

zoomer
08-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Congrats! Bettas are really great fish.
I have a question for you first. Are you planning on getting a filtered tank?

Hmm.. well, I think Betta breeders are much better. But a PetSmart is fine.

I think the best tank for a Betta is a tank 5 gallons or bigger, at my pet store you can get a 20 gallon for $12, and that's a great tank for a Betta! Glass tanks are best, but if you plan on not getting a filter, you can get a plastic tank for PetSmart or even Target for $5 or so.

Do you mean plastic plants or live plants? I think live plants would do better with a filter. You can get plants from the pet store and any plants are okay as long s they aren't too rough on the fish's scales. I don't highly suggest plastic plants, live plants are better.

I don't know what kinds of food you have at your petsmart but you can find fish flakes at all pet stores and they are very good for bettas. Tropical fish flakes are fine. Bloodworms are good for them, too and they really like em

Without a filter, once or twice a week. I try cleaning mine twice a week because the cleaner the tank the healtier the fish and if the tank is always clean the bettas will change colors in brighter, prettier colors.

If you're using tap water be sure to put some of that stuff that takes the tap out of the water or protects the fish from it or let the tank sit for 24 hours. It's better to let it sit for 24 hours anyway so it turns to exact room temperture and you're positive the cholorine is gone. If you have bottled water without chlorine thats fine.

When you go to the pet store make sure to pick one that has a clean tank and doesn't just sit on the bottom of it's tank. Make sure his fins aren't ripped. Make sure he isn't rubbing up against plants or rocks in his tank. Also make sure his fins are bright. If any of his scales are gone or look irretated don't pick him.

zoomer
08-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Oh, and also, you might want to check out my thread where I was getting my first Betta too :)

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=108994

Roxyluvsme13
08-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Yup, especially since you're just starting out. Just make sure you get an active-ish one that has very little or no fin damage (rips, tears, etc) and is probably flaring at you.
They need atleast one gallon, but since this is your only betta I highly recommend This (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3635102) if your petsmart happens to have them. If not, a good 1 gallon or a 2.5 gallon would be fabby :).
You don't need a filter unless you want one. They're not required and if you do get one, put it on the lowest setting. Plants aren't required, but they're nice to have. If you want fake, I recommend silk plants so they won't tear your bettas fins, but if you want live, Java ferns are some of a betta's faves.
Hikari Betta Biogold Pellets, or some Frozen bloodworms or live ones. Bloodworms are not required, and you may just want to start your guy out on pellets. Any will do, but Hikari is the best.
If you have a 1 gallon, 1-2 times a week. If you have a bigger tank, once a week should do if you don't use a filter.
Room temperature is okay, but if you get more than a 1 gallon, purchasing a small heater might be a good idea. If the room your betta will be staying in is pretty warm, it should be okay. If you use bottled, it must be spring water. Don't use distilled water. If you use tap water it absolutely MUST be treated with water conditioner. A good water conditioner is Novaqua +. I use it without Amquel +, and it does fine, but it is a bit on the pricey side, and it lasts me (with 8 bettas) a loooong time.

Hope I helped, and if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or ask!

sammy101
08-23-2006, 08:49 PM
thanks so much! Its helped me alot. I would rather get a real plant than a plastic one. Rocks on the bottom are ok?
As for water,i'll go out and buy spring water. Its not too expensive for a case of it.
When i go to look at them,i'm going to make sure the one i pick looks healthy.
Do they sell bloodworms at petsmart?

Roxyluvsme13
08-23-2006, 08:51 PM
thanks so much! Its helped me alot. I would rather get a real plant than a plastic one. Rocks on the bottom are ok?
As for water,i'll go out and buy spring water. Its not too expensive for a case of it.
When i go to look at them,i'm going to make sure the one i pick looks healthy.
Do they sell bloodworms at petsmart?
Aquarium safe rocks, yes. Okay. I'm pretty sure they have them in a freezer on the side. Atleast mine does.

IRescue452
08-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Instead of spring water you could get a bottle of chlor-out dechlorinator. A few drops for each gallon of tap water will make it safe. The bottle lasts a long time. Most bettas won't eat flake food, so pellets are best.

sammy101
08-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Instead of spring water you could get a bottle of chlor-out dechlorinator. A few drops for each gallon of tap water will make it safe. The bottle lasts a long time. Most bettas won't eat flake food, so pellets are best.

ok thanks! I'll look for that. :)

Zippy
08-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Congrats!Everone has given you good info.Can't wait to see pics

i_rescue
08-24-2006, 12:16 PM
I think that's a fine place to get one.

You don't nesaccarily "need" a certain kind of tank, but I suggest a filter and getting the biggest one you can afford! A 10 gallon would be perfect, but that'd be too much to carry without a filter. So, without a filter I suggest a 3-5 gallon.

Pretty much all live plants at the pet store are fine. But I do love Java ferns.

There are all kinds of good food for bettas. You can feed them without paying at all. The best commercial food I suggest are flakes, they're esspecially good for Bettas. You can cut up earthworms, Bettas love those. One of Betta's favorites are misquito larve. Just leave a pan of water outside, and the next day check it for larvae. Check it daily so you don't end up with hungry adult misquitoes, they can hatch quickly. Bloodworms, frozen or live, are good, too.

Without a filter, once or twice a week.

I suggest bottled water.

zoomer
08-24-2006, 04:27 PM
WARNING: You will get the betta bug. I can asure you that. You'll end up with more than 1 ;) (I'm sure that's what you want, isn't it? :p )

Suki Wingy
08-24-2006, 08:30 PM
I've heard a lot of places that bottled water is not ok because it lacks a lot of essential nutrients. I've also read from all the nice people on FishForums.net 's betta section that pellets are much better than flakes.

sammy101
08-24-2006, 08:50 PM
lol i may end up with more than one. :p
I just bought spring water for the time being. I'm going to look for that chlor-out dechlorinator stuff. We're going tomorrow to get him. :)

Roxyluvsme13
08-24-2006, 08:50 PM
I've heard a lot of places that bottled water is not ok because it lacks a lot of essential nutrients. I've also read from all the nice people on FishForums.net 's betta section that pellets are much better than flakes.
I heard distilled water is bad, and bottled is okay.. and yes, Pellets are much better seeing as most bettas don't seem to take much interest in flakes.

zoomer
08-25-2006, 07:14 PM
We're going tomorrow to get him. :)

Yay! Can't wait for pictures :D

Roxyluvsme13
08-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Pictures, yet? ;)

sammy101
08-25-2006, 09:11 PM
No pictures yet,but i'll get some of him tomorrow.
He seems to be doing ok. The only thing i'm worried about is he's had his fins flared since i put him in his tank. (which is your typical gold fish tank). He can see himself in the glass. I may switch him tomorrow to something else, probably a vase since we have some that are big enough for him. The tank is 1 gallon, and we put a fake plant and some stones on the bottom.
His name is Jerry :)

Zippy
08-25-2006, 09:18 PM
I can't wait for some pics of Beautiful Jerry. :)

sammy101
08-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Its hard getting pictures of fish :eek:
I just checked on him and he seems to be calming down. Its probably because he's in a new place. Hopefully he starts looking healthier soon,now that he's a in a good size tank and good food!

http://kodielucylou.zoto.com/img/45/6c85d22b5e5eaa99f08d2c22d976ab53-.jpg

http://kodielucylou.zoto.com/img/45/06c96e6e67fad57d78f6554bacdb571c-.jpg

http://kodielucylou.zoto.com/img/45/d2a9c5708a81ebb41a69747e2d8912b0-.jpg

http://kodielucylou.zoto.com/img/45/9df272271d0163e4fa435dea50bf4896-.jpg

http://kodielucylou.zoto.com/img/45/cc6d5631fe32982ae95716f18cd3b0d8-.jpg

Roxyluvsme13
08-25-2006, 09:41 PM
He's a Crowntail! ^-^ Congrats :D.

Zippy
08-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Beautiful Betta.I know it is hard to take pics of fish.I need to get some new pics of my boys. :) and Zippy and Pumpkin need new pics :D

zoomer
08-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Look at that beautiful Jerry boy! I love crowntails :D What are you feeding him?

sammy101
08-26-2006, 12:31 PM
thanks!
We're feeding him Omega One freeze dried Bloodworms and Top Fin Betta Bits. I looked for the Hikari stuff but they only had them for goldfish. How often should i feed him? I fed him at 7am this morning and again at 12.He's been eating which is good! :)

zoomer
08-26-2006, 12:48 PM
thanks!
We're feeding him Omega One freeze dried Bloodworms and Top Fin Betta Bits. I looked for the Hikari stuff but they only had them for goldfish. How often should i feed him? I fed him at 7am this morning and again at 12.He's been eating which is good! :)

Good idea feeding bloodworms! My bettas get flakes and bloodworms only as snacks every once and a while but I would feed bloodworms if I didn't have the salamanders to feed too. Either feed him enough that he can eat in 10 minutes if you're gonna feed him once a day, or if you're going to feed twice a day about 8 bits or 8-9 bloodworms in the morning and that amount at night :) Try not to overfeed because you're tank will end up clouded because of the food that floated to the bottom that the fish did not eat, or your fish will end up bloated and most likely die.

sammy101
08-26-2006, 11:09 PM
I'm going to feed him twice a day. In the morning and at night. He had 5-6 bits tonight, but he didnt have any bloodworms.
Oh i have another question. Does he need a light during the night time? He's in the dark until morning.

Roxyluvsme13
08-26-2006, 11:14 PM
I'm going to feed him twice a day. In the morning and at night. He had 5-6 bits tonight, but he didnt have any bloodworms.
Oh i have another question. Does he need a light during the night time? He's in the dark until morning.
Umm.. like 5-6 pellets? That's a little much :confused:. My bettas get 2-3 pellets in the morning, and 2 at night, and mid-day sometimes they get freeze-dried bloodworms.. FDB gives swim bladder/constipation really fast if overfed, so just try to be careful. I think he'll be okay in the dark at night.

binka_nugget
08-26-2006, 11:20 PM
If they're the same size as the Hikari pellets, 5-6 2x a day is wayyyy too much. Even 5-6 once a day is still a bit much. I don't feed pellets as often anymore but when I did, I would give them 2-3 a day. Somedays I would fast them for a few days too.

He doesn't need light at night. Bettas like to sleep too! :p

Your new CT is very beautiful! :)

zoomer
08-26-2006, 11:27 PM

Nope, he likes to sleep just like you :D Are you giving him lots of light in the daytime, though? Light & a good, clean tank keeps a Betta healthy, and not only that, it changes their colors brighter and prettier :)

Zippy
08-27-2006, 08:40 AM
If they're the same size as the Hikari pellets, 5-6 2x a day is wayyyy too much. Even 5-6 once a day is still a bit much.I don't feed pellets as often anymore but when I did, I would give them 2-3 a day.

i have been feeding Nemo and Ruby to much :eek: I feed them 4 in the morning and 4 at night

sammy101
08-27-2006, 11:03 AM
If they're the same size as the Hikari pellets, 5-6 2x a day is wayyyy too much. Even 5-6 once a day is still a bit much. I don't feed pellets as often anymore but when I did, I would give them 2-3 a day. Somedays I would fast them for a few days too.

He doesn't need light at night. Bettas like to sleep too! :p

Your new CT is very beautiful! :)

ok thanks. :)

Argranade
08-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Perdy crowntail betta. :)

zoey
08-27-2006, 11:35 AM
That is a gorgeous fish. Congrats on your first Beta!! :D :D